Zoologist - Thoughts and Comments

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
I decided to revisit some of my Zoologist samples this week, and I have to say I'm really enjoying Squid on the second go-round. I didn't quite know what to make of it when I first smelled it, expecting something aquatic and dark - there is something aquatic and dark about it, but it also has a lot more going on. There's a real kind of warm, soft, not-at-all-aquatic aspect to this, especially in the base. It really reminds me of something like Xerjoff Uden or Amyris Homme - that kind of warm, slightly sweet, slightly powdery vibe, but with a vaguely bubblegum-like aquatic note in the top. Anyone else get that similarity?

Aspie

Dec 2, 2019
I purchased a sample set about 2 years ago and really liked most of them. I put on my wishlist: Nightingale, Panda or Elephant and T-Rex. When a year later I was considering buying Nightingale, I tried it again and it was horrible. I think it went bad, a perfume can't smell like that. Like some industrial cleaner. I retried all of the samples, some were bad, some were unchanged. Among those that were unchanged were spicy, aromatic, amber, woody and benzoin scents. T-Rex was still fine. The scents like Panda, Elephant, Nightingale, Hummingbird, Dragonfly etc were spoiled. I wonder its because the samples are not sealed that well, did anyone have a similar experience?

LinePlaneVolume

Basenotes Junkie
May 31, 2020
did anyone have a similar experience?
I have a bunch of samples that were decanted by Tigerlily/Ministry of Scent and they all seem to still be good after upwards of 2 years. My partner had me pull some of them out recently because she really likes Cow and wanted to revisit some of the other ones. All that she tried were fine.

davidcalgary29

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 6, 2019
Any thoughts on the new Seahorse or Cow releases? I was able to try them out (on paper) yesterday. Seahorse has a weird caramel corn / salty / nutty vibe to it which conflicts with the aquatic accords...as it dries down, it seems to blend together some. Would have to experience a full wearing before coming to a consensus on this one.

Cow was much more subtle with the apple accord dominating the scent. Definitely not in your face apple like Byredo Pulp, but toned down a bit, perhaps with the milk accord listed in the notes, so maybe that gives it a bit of smoothness. Jury is still out on this one for me. My wife really did like this one.....

I did end up purchasing a full bottle of T-Rex and love it!
Just received my own samples of "Seahorse" and "Cow".

I don't like "Seahorse" at all on my skin, and for many of the reasons that you listed. It also disappeared off of my skin in an hour, which doesn't bode well for me. I like "Squid" much more as an aquatic.

"Cow" is lovely -- it smells like an orange creamsicle tastes! It suffers from the same problems as "Bee" for me, though: a delicious scent that I couldn't ever wear becuase of overwhelming florals. I also have to say, though, that lurking under that garden pasture is the faint whiff of the orange fluoride rinse at the dentist's.

Fuji Apple and Yuzu "Macaque", "Dragonfly", "Beaver", and "Rhinoceros" are still my favourite Zoologist scents, by far.

XentMaster

Jun 7, 2016
Just received my own samples of "Seahorse" and "Cow".

I don't like "Seahorse" at all on my skin, and for many of the reasons that you listed. It also disappeared off of my skin in an hour, which doesn't bode well for me. I like "Squid" much more as an aquatic.

"Cow" is lovely -- it smells like an orange creamsicle tastes! It suffers from the same problems as "Bee" for me, though: a delicious scent that I couldn't ever wear becuase of overwhelming florals. I also have to say, though, that lurking under that garden pasture is the faint whiff of the orange fluoride rinse at the dentist's.

Fuji Apple and Yuzu "Macaque", "Dragonfly", "Beaver", and "Rhinoceros" are still my favourite Zoologist scents, by far.
Yeah, tried seahorse again and it's definitely a no go for me.....I did end up purchasing a full bottle of Cow (mainly for my wife), but I've worn it multiple time since and it's really grown on me. I get a sort of creamy, slightly fruity muskiness if that makes sense, not too floral to me. My only gripe with Cow is that it's not overly unique, but have been enjoying wearing it.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019

Franco65

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2012

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
I've only ever tried Panda, and it traumatized me for this brand, it was so awful. But after reading this thread, I will seek out some others to try.

I sampled the whole line and found it very hit and miss. About half of them have a strange, cloying powdery/bread-dough sort of note to me, but I really loved Civet, Hyrax and Macaque Yuzu Edition.

Jun 4, 2017

by the late Rosendo Mateu

i will be trying when ever its released
Cardinal by Rosendo Mateu was supposed to be released in winter 2023. Upon hearing the recent death of Mr. Mateu, I wanted to have the scent released in the same year of his death, 2022. Since the label art is not ready yet, I symbolically sold five bottles to a few people in the fragrance community without any label on the bottle. Next year, Cardinal will be widely available.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Cardinal by Rosendo Mateu was supposed to be released in winter 2023. Upon hearing the recent death of Mr. Mateu, I wanted to have the scent released in the same year of his death, 2022. Since the label art is not ready yet, I symbolically sold five bottles to a few people in the fragrance community without any label on the bottle. Next year, Cardinal will be widely available.
i look forward to its release or would it be possible to reach out at some point to get it earlier? some time next month or so?

heavy black heart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 20, 2022
really enjoying Squid in the heat today - I can pick up different notes than on paper or skin in the cold like the salt is coming through way more prominently

good stuff

should add that I don’t like aquatics generally but this I can get behind of

Latest News