Ysl m7 (2002)

HisHighness

Dec 14, 2020
I’m trying to recreate something that smells remotely like the classic YSL M7 fragrance which was my signature fragrance when I was a teenager. Any tips/suggestions of where to begin would be much appreciated!

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Looking over the GCMS, it looks like several woods, Cedarwood, Amyris, several sandalwood molecules, patchouli at between 4-7%, Iso E Super, musks, hedione, Gamma methyl Ionone, a boatload of ethyl vanillin at 2%, vanillin at 0.6%. Looks like 2.7% limonene, indicating some citrus types in the top.

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Allegedly this originally used real oud, and then went to some Firmenich oud.

I really don't closely recall the fragrance so I cannot suggest which Firmenich oud to try, but generally I think Pretty Oud, Maleki, and Assafi are best. The latter two did not exist at that time, and I'm not sure if Pretty Oud did either. But that doesn't mean they can't be tried.

I believe it also had a fair amount of Ambroxan or other ambroxide.

The right oud, ambroxide, and Vetiver Haiti should get you a good part of the way.

EDIT: Seeing the above, perhaps I am thinking of something else. Nevermind...

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
EDIT: Seeing the above, perhaps I am thinking of something else. Nevermind...
Oh, Not to worry, I didn't spend too much time looking over the GCMS, because it is not a collapsed GC, there are so many peaks to weed through... I can easily miss things, in this format, plus, it is a Perfumersworld GCMS, which is always quite messy to work from. (I didn't buy it... it was traded to me by another person...)

Last edited:

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Well I still could be! :)

Or, if I do have the right one in mind, it underwent unfavorable reformulation and PWorld might not have tested the original.

Blitzkrieg

Oct 13, 2020
I'm actually wearing the original version today. I probably have one wearing left in my bottle, but I do have a bottle of Absolu as well. I forget how good this is until I wear it.

The suggestion of dark cherry or cherry cough syrup is fantastic in the original. I would love to figure out how to duplicate that aspect of this fragrance.

HisHighness

Dec 14, 2020
It was truly amazing I never forget when I was told M7 was discontinued I was devastated lol I’d also love to know which “Oud” was used, most likely Oud samrat and Oud Synthetic by firmenich...

Jun 27, 2019
It was truly amazing I never forget when I was told M7 was discontinued I was devastated lol I’d also love to know which “Oud” was used, most likely Oud samrat and Oud Synthetic by firmenich...

The base that was used is Oud Synthetic 10760 E by Firmenich. From what I have read it was developed on demand by YSL for M7.

Bill Roberts

Mar 1, 2013
Very interesting! Thank you. When M7 came out I knew nothing about oud (or perfuming really) so every unfamiliar aspect pretty much, I attributed to "that must be oud!"

Ignorant, but so it goes.

ourmess

Apr 25, 2018
A GCMS is a lab analysis that tells you which molecules are in a substance. You send a sample to a lab, and get a report back. It'll cost you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, and will still require knowledge of perfumery before you can do anything useful with it.

augustya

Oct 4, 2014
A GCMS is a lab analysis that tells you which molecules are in a substance. You send a sample to a lab, and get a report back. It'll cost you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, and will still require knowledge of perfumery before you can do anything useful with it.

Ok I am a user and not into the Business of Perfumery ! is there any way that I can recreate the Original YSL M7 formula at an affordable price and use it ? Are there any people who can make it for you ? But I am like one or two bottle at the Max ! Not like thousands of Bottles.

ourmess

Apr 25, 2018
Ok I am a user and not into the Business of Perfumery ! is there any way that I can recreate the Original YSL M7 formula at an affordable price
No.
Are there any people who can make it for you ?
Yes, and it will be expensive.
But I am like one or two bottle at the Max ! Not like thousands of Bottles.
Then you're better off just finding one or two bottles and buying them.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
As said above, Yes, I can make it for you. I have two GCMS test results. But I'm not gonna make it cheaply. Gonna be a year's worth (or more) of your car payments for your couple of bottles.
Better to hunt for bottles.

HisHighness

Dec 14, 2020
I was so surprised at how simple the formula is and the aroma chemicals that are in it i already had! 🤦🏾‍♂️ my teenage years in a bottle M7 ❤️

Latest News