YSL Kouros vs. Chanel Antaeus

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I am a big fan of Kouros and almost every iteration of it, Kouros Eau de Sport and Fraicheur being the top of the list to me.
But Antaeus is one of the many Kouros-like fragrances that I think sometimes is better than Kouros, especially when the honey and clove-accord combo of Kouros becomes too much.
Antaeus also swaps civet for castoreum for its 'dirty-ness' and no aldehydes in the opening either.

If you like these two, which is your favorite and why?
Or which other Kouros-y frag do you prefer in that genre? (Creed Orange Spice, Ted Lapidus Homme, Balenciaga Pour Homme, One Man Show Gold Edition, etc)

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Aside from them being ‘animalic’ masculines from 1981, they’re very different scents.

I go back and forth between the two preferring Kouros on warmer days and Antaeus the rest of the time and I’ve also worn them about the same number of times. Both extremely well made and by two of my favourite perfumers. The mossy warm rosy leather or clean dirty animalic musk ambery fougere? Hmmm I can’t choose between them.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
While never having liked Kouros very much (maybe apart from the current version significantly toning some of the 80s powerhouse leathery muskiness down) always was and enjoying to be a fan and/or owner of Antaeus, but also of Ted Lapidus and of One Man Show Gold Edition-appreciating the note renditions in the latter three.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Think they are both great. Classics. I wouldn't pick one as "better" than the other.

I don't see them as very much alike, but I understand why they sort of get lumped together. To me, the animalic side of Kouros is way more pronounced than the animalic aspect of Antaeus.

Personally, I think Antaeus doesn't smell as dated as Kouros. I have no hesitation at all to wear Antaeus just about anywhere. I'm more careful about wearing Kouros.

Kouros makes more a statement if that's what you're going for.

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
I see what you mean by the resemblances between Kouros and Antaeus, even though they have distinct, different personalities. Both are stunning, but Kouros can be a bit much sometimes.

In terms of vintage Kouros VS vintage Antaeus: I would go with vintage Kouros. While both of the vintages are heavy on animalics, there is nothing out there better balanced than vintage Kouros. It's a beast in a tuxedo, and Pierre Bourdon's best work by far. The vintage versions of both fragrances have a lot in common in terms of that "tamed beast" feeling, and even share some notes, so I'd be perfectly happy with either, but Kouros takes it to the next level.

Current Kouros VS current Antaeus: I would go with Antaeus. The current formulation of Kouros is neutered and it's lost that magical balance of clean and raunchy, while still smelling dated, so what's the point? Current Antaeus is also all cleaned up, with little to no beeswax or animalics anymore, but the facelift and defanging operation was a success, while maintaining Chanel's commitment to quality.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
I also don't find them very similar at all, but love both. Kouros, however, is my favorite as it's more wearable to me. I could wear it anywhere, anytime. Also, Antaeus is basically an animalic, floral leather. There are others in that genre that I could replace it with if necessary. What could replace Kouros though? Nothing that I've tried.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
Not to high jack the thread but has anyone smelled 2021-2022 bottles of Antaeus I was thinking of buying a bottle after not wearing it since 2018–2019 curious if anything changed smell and performance wise?

I may not be the best judge because I don’t buy into all the hoopla that surround reforms. They are blown way out of proportion.
I have a 2021 bottle
While it is not the 80s powerhouse I used to wear. It is extremely well done. more than satisfactory.

Strange Routine

Basenotes Member
Aug 12, 2020
Not to high jack the thread but has anyone smelled 2021-2022 bottles of Antaeus I was thinking of buying a bottle after not wearing it since 2018–2019 curious if anything changed smell and performance wise?
I have a bottle from last year, it's great though it is a bit more floral than a bottle I had from approximately 10 years previous. Slighly changed but still recognizably Antaeus and still quality juice.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I don't think Kouros & Antaeus are similar, except for being loud 80's fragrances. Give Dior's Jules and Hermes Bel Ami a try.
Really? To my nose they are, sounds like I need more testing.
I have tried and owned both Jules and Bel Ami, vintage formulations.
Sadly I sold them some dozen years ago, and I regret it.
Bel Ami is beautiful, and Jules takes you on a linear journey.

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
I see what you mean by the resemblances between Kouros and Antaeus, even though they have distinct, different personalities. Both are stunning, but Kouros can be a bit much sometimes.

In terms of vintage Kouros VS vintage Antaeus: I would go with vintage Kouros. While both of the vintages are heavy on animalics, there is nothing out there better balanced than vintage Kouros. It's a beast in a tuxedo, and Pierre Bourdon's best work by far. The vintage versions of both fragrances have a lot in common in terms of that "tamed beast" feeling, and even share some notes, so I'd be perfectly happy with either, but Kouros takes it to the next level.

Current Kouros VS current Antaeus: I would go with Antaeus. The current formulation of Kouros is neutered and it's lost that magical balance of clean and raunchy, while still smelling dated, so what's the point? Current Antaeus is also all cleaned up, with little to no beeswax or animalics anymore, but the facelift and defanging operation was a success, while maintaining Chanel's commitment to quality.
This makes sense.
Thank you for the breakdown; I always find it interesting how knowing first the vintage version of a classic seems to almost always ruin an otherwise perfectly fine fragrance that is a reformulation, if not well executed.
I have to tell myself it is a different fragrance altogether otherwise I am on the disappointment train

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
I think Kouros would've been great if it had less of a musk/civet/dirty scent and focused on being a floral fragrance. I like the citrus and floral aspects of it. But the drydown just smells like balls.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
As fragrances, I'd say Antaeus is/exudes a super tight composition, refined, delicate handling of materials and comes off formal, classy, dark, brooding, slick...

Hard to explain!

Kouros is the rough and ready chunk of rock hewn away that Michaelangelo then continues (yes continues, as the rock itself posseses it's own perfect beauty already) to deftly, lovingly, caringly chip away at and forms David.

Kouros to date has been akin to a morbid interest 😬

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
Actually caught a whiff of Kouros out in the wild today.
And thinking on it last night I was eager to try a dilution (sacrilege!). Approx 1:3 Kouros: Fumers Alcohol. Much less challenging. Its got everything, just dialled down. Almost like now I have decompressed it and its opened up.
This made me chuckle!
Sounds like there is a case / market for "Lumière de Kouros"

Andrewthecologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2006
to me they are totally different in smell, will take Kouros as way better for me.
You are with the group that feel they are totally different smells.

For me, I cannot separate the two. After the initial blast (both are noticeably different but in the same ballpark) they settle to a very similar perfumey air and feel to my nose, almost can't tell them apart.

This certainly confirms my on-going research that we all smell the same things differently and therefore arrive at different conclusions

Latest News