Your zoologist parfum prefer.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
T-Rex, baby.

Do like Camel, Elephant, and Koala a bit.

Have also tried:
The original Rhino, which I guess I'll leave off the like list since it's been reformulated and don't know the new one yet, but did like.
Bee (I prefer Slowdive in this category)
Hummingbird
Squid

lovetribe

Feb 16, 2016
moth can be defined a gothic, dark, obscure perfume? can it be like what? a ted lapidus pour homme? or what?
can it be a good blind buy?

Tonyprince

Jan 1, 2007
moth can be defined a gothic, dark, obscure perfume? can it be like what? a ted lapidus pour homme? or what?
can it be a good blind buy?

It's probably my very favorite. It's apparently Victor Wong (the owner and Creative Director of Zoologist)'s favorite as well. It doesn't smell like anything else and I'm not sure what to compare it to. It's a floral with some smokiness and somehow smells like you would imagine a moth's wings would smell when they got too close to a flame - in the best possible way. I wouldn't suggest it as a blind buy, but I would STRONGLY suggest anybody even remotely interested in this house sample it.

harveyg1

Dec 15, 2019
Sample nearly all except Deer Musk and Snowy Owl (multiple wearing over a few months, then went back to several a year or so later). Now own...

Moth
Squid
Hyrax
Sloth

Friend has Bee, intoxicating on her skin, not so much on me.

Another friend went through the sample set and ended up purchasing Bat (Prin) and T-Rex.

Horses for courses I guess.

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019
Only bottle worthy ones for me were Trex and Bee. ( And OG bat/Nightflyer )

Almost pulled the trigger on Rhino 1, which is preferred to the remake. Just has some cojones to it you know.
Moth is interesting and worth trying.
Camel is decent, but light and smells like something youve smelled before, a spiced amber.
Hyrax I love but wouldnt use a bottle.
Elephant grew on me and has a fantastic green / coconut HUSK thing going for it.
Civet is pretty but not outstanding for me - bubblegumish. Would love to see a more bombastic version of this.
Musk Deer seemed fun at first for a moment but then turns into a very clean, refreshing, fizzy and safe (generic) modern scent - could sit on an Ulta shelf. Fits the brief I suppose.
Dodo 1 is a winner but sample first. The bird cage association and the ambergris is a love/hate.
Squid is ok, but again comes out boring at the end of the day. Inky, musty, incense.
Updated Panda smells like my old girlfriends DKNY apple perfume in high school.
Updated Beaver is just a clean laundry scent, snooze.

lovetribe

Feb 16, 2016
Only bottle worthy ones for me were Trex and Bee. ( And OG bat/Nightflyer )

Almost pulled the trigger on Rhino 1, which is preferred to the remake. Just has some cojones to it you know.
Moth is interesting and worth trying.
Camel is decent, but light and smells like something youve smelled before, a spiced amber.
Hyrax I love but wouldnt use a bottle.
Elephant grew on me and has a fantastic green / coconut HUSK thing going for it.
Civet is pretty but not outstanding for me - bubblegumish. Would love to see a more bombastic version of this.
Musk Deer seemed fun at first for a moment but then turns into a very clean, refreshing, fizzy and safe (generic) modern scent - could sit on an Ulta shelf. Fits the brief I suppose.
Dodo 1 is a winner but sample first. The bird cage association and the ambergris is a love/hate.
Squid is ok, but again comes out boring at the end of the day. Inky, musty, incense.
Updated Panda smells like my old girlfriends DKNY apple perfume in high school.
Updated Beaver is just a clean laundry scent, snooze.

moth is really gothik,dark? i don't like honey...but from what I read it seems that it transforms despite being very present.
what do you think?

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019
moth is really gothik,dark? i don't like honey...but from what I read it seems that it transforms despite being very present.
what do you think?

I personally wouldn't call Moth very 'dark'. Spiced honey left to dust away in a closet - sure.
If you dont enjoy honey why waste your time with this one?

harveyg1

Dec 15, 2019
Moth and squid. Wife likes Bat (Prin) and T-Rex. Another friend sampled all and decided on Bee - smells sensual on her, not so much on me.

I would have picked up Hyrax as well, except I am trying to trim the collection size and Salome outperforms it on me. Not redundant, but I decided to pick one of the two. I have also been going back to my Sloth sample. Let's see.

Horses for courses.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
what do you think?

I think Moth is a great example of what Niche perfumery is all about. It's a very interesting and creative scent and is worthy of any and all accolades it gets. I just found that for my tastes that I was always over smelling it at about 30min into a wearing. It's powerful and unique and you've got to love it because it's gonna be all up in your nose throughout the entire wearing. I wouldn't hesitate to sample!

Latest News