Your Vintage SOTD - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Here's a link to the 2019 vintage SOTD thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/469840-Your-vintage-SOTD-2019

Please feel free to post your own pictures, and also please write the name of the fragrance!

My vintage scent of the day (SOTD) is Etruscan.

236D0ECA-E99A-44EE-8DAE-9AA85CFFB460.jpg

Also known as Tuscany, from Aramis, Etruscan is having a day at the beach in Nags Head, North Carolina.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
A true auld lang syne scent for me, a pillar of my youth and days gone by, to ring in the new year:

Ivoire de Balmain

41AiAtmQxOL.jpg

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Silences Jacomo from decant.
Had a bottle of it that my dad finished off. that must have been non vintage cause what I am wearing today is so much better.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Silences Jacomo from decant.
Had a bottle of it that my dad finished off. that must have been non vintage cause what I am wearing today is so much better.

I've only ever known the vintage one tbh (and I wasn't trying for deep vintage, I just got lucky), but what do you think? She's a cold mistress but I like her!

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Still 2019 for me, for the next 5hours 20minutes but Happy New Year to you all. I wish you all the very best in life!

I’ve been wearing vintage AoS Sandalwood all day and will be wearing some really old Mysore while bringing in the new year.

Warm regards to each of you!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
JCE said he (co)created it in 1973. Maybe it was a relaunch.

https://www.houbigant-parfum.com/eu_en/essence-rare.html

The original was released in 1928 and was discontinued in the 1940s. The ice bottles are from the 1973 relaunch from Jean-Claude Elena in collaboration (when he was a fairly new perfumer) that was eventually discontinued.in the late 1980s. The most recent rerelease in 2018 was also the work of Jean-Claude Elena.

I haven’t tried the newest one. The 70s version is similar in style to Rive Gauche and Calandre.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
JCE said he (co)created it in 1973. Maybe it was a relaunch.
https://www.houbigant-parfum.com/eu_en/essence-rare.html

The original was released in 1928 and was discontinued in the 1940s. The ice bottles are from the 1973 relaunch from Jean-Claude Elena in collaboration (when he was a fairly new perfumer) that was eventually discontinued.in the late 1980s. The most recent rerelease in 2018 was also the work of Jean-Claude Elena.

Ah, I see. Interesting that he's just now getting credit for the 1973 version. That little essay from Elena on the Houbigant site was interesting, especially this part:

This was to be the perfect harmony and assured taste with no audacity, or transgression but the passion of the years before May, 1968. In realizing my dreams, I had to demonstrate the years of workmanship I had acquired. I was going to do so by composing Essence Rare.

What do you suppose he meant by that "before May 1968" stipulation? Is he alluding to the cultural upheavals of France in 1968, and assuming that after that time the old traditional standards in perfumery no longer applied?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
What do you suppose he meant by that "before May 1968" stipulation? Is he alluding to the cultural upheavals of France in 1968, and assuming that after that time the old traditional standards in perfumery no longer applied?
I assumed it was something along those lines, though it might coincide with his personal “lost innocence,” as he turned 21 in 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News