Your Vintage Scent of the Day (SOTD)

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Wearing Avon Charisma (1970) tonight. An alternately soapy and animalic chypre that has orris and green notes whizzing above rose and civet, with an oakmoss bite. It's pretty interesting stuff that strikes a balance between stuff like Private Collection and Miss Dior, although not as intense as either. A man who loves his chypres could definitely boogey down to this though.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Wearing Avon Charisma (1970) tonight. An alternately soapy and animalic chypre that has orris and green notes whizzing above rose and civet, with an oakmoss bite. It's pretty interesting stuff that strikes a balance between stuff like Private Collection and Miss Dior, although not as intense as either. A man who loves his chypres could definitely boogey down to this though.
Interesting. Is it Iquitos or Aramis 900 or Aramis alike in any way ?

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Interesting. Is it Iquitos or Aramis 900 or Aramis alike in any way ?
Oh nothing like those, as neither of them are soapy in any way. There is a distinct way women's chypres were made in the late 60's through late 70's that merged a very sharp green (sometimes soapy green) facet with the usual roses and white florals, musks and mosses. People describe them as "cold" or "bitchy". Charisma sort of straddles that vibe with a bit of the warmth and "come-hither" of more animalic chypre types, but never really commits to the latter. It's still relatively green and clean, just ambivalent about it.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Oh nothing like those, as neither of them are soapy in any way. There is a distinct way women's chypres were made in the late 60's through late 70's that merged a very sharp green (sometimes soapy green) facet with the usual roses and white florals, musks and mosses. People describe them as "cold" or "bitchy". Charisma sort of straddles that vibe with a bit of the warmth and "come-hither" of more animalic chypre types, but never really commits to the latter. It's still relatively green and clean, just ambivalent about it.
Thanks a lot for the explanation !

Lellabelle

Aug 16, 2015
70's Caron Nuit de Noel EDC
We were scent siblings yesterday 🙌
She was in Chanel No. 19. It’s an old favorite, but she also had a job interview today, so it transitioned well.
Excellent choice. And better suited to an interview!
13th day of Guerlain Derby
thats a strong endorsement!
I love those bottles. I hope finding one someday.
Those are choice bottles. I am covetous ;)
Diorling (1963) by Paul Vacher for Christian Dior
Speaking of choice bottles… let me pick myself up off the floor, as I may have experienced a momentary weak spell ;). Love this one, Cook.bot. Enjoy!

Jun 13, 2020
I believe this qualifies:
iPdkfUT.jpg

Vintage Balenciaga

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
My vintage scent of the day is the discontinued Patou Pour Homme Prive, which the tester bottles describe as a "floral amber fougere" with top notes of bergamot and lavender, middle notes of sandalwood, patchouly, and new mown hay, and the base note of vanilla.

Patou Pour Homme Prive.jpg

I don't get good longevity from it, and had to reapply mid-morning. It smells great with a fresh coat, though!

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
I don't know this one, Nosey74. How do you like it ?
I need to spend more time with it but I can tell you it smells sort of like their other fragrance called Futuros and also shares some similarities with Balenciaga Pour Homme, Bogart Witness, and Sybaris. Doesn’t smell that great when you smell it up close on skin but from a distance smells pretty good / has a pleasant sillage. Not bad for a cheapie.

Last edited:

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
I need to spend more time with it but I can tell you it smells sort of like their other fragrance called Futuros and also shares some similarities with Balenciaga Pour Homme, Bogart Witness, and Sybaris. Doesn’t smell that great when you smell it up close on skin but from a distance smells pretty good / has a pleasant sillage. Not bad for a cheapie.
Thanks !

Latest News