Your Vintage Scent of the Day (SOTD)

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Early (pre-1965) Caron Nuit de Noel Extrait today.
View attachment 171841
I see the random sideways picture rotation is still a thing… :sneaky:
I think I may have scented from that very bottle. One of the most memorable scents
I have experienced.
Lellabelle offered that they "Don't make them like this anymore"
I wholeheartedly agree!
Nice to see you back in the Forum, Lellabelle!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
It's Leather Season!

Specifically, green leather season. (Because I said so, that's why.) When I was looking this scent up to confirm the year, I noticed for the first time that it contains "thujone". Hmmm. Minor detour later, turns out thujone is a green component in artemesia absinthium, and there's a couple of very interesting BN threads about it:

https://basenotes.com/threads/thujone.443334/
https://basenotes.com/threads/thujone-artemisia-armoise-and-wormwood-same-note.224023/

Miss Balmain (1967) by Germaine Cellier for Pierre Balmain

This might be the penultimate dosage from my little bottle, so I guess another vintage quest lies in my near future. Such a good leather chypre, with that little flash of vulgarity that Cellier always adds to keep it sexy/interesting. People always compare Miss Balmain to Bandit, but I don't care for Bandit at all and yet I love this stuff.
MissBalmainParfum.jpg

Last edited:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
SOTE: Greenergy by Givenchy

61ispXHaU1L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Lellabelle

Aug 16, 2015
it contains "thujone". Hmmm. Minor detour later, turns out thujone is a green component in artemesia absinthium
It most certainly does! Thuja comes from a subset of Cypress trees, and has some interesting uses. It’s found in Western Red Cedar in the Americas (lots of it here in the PNW), which has been used in variety of forms by Indigenous peoples for medicinal and traditional purposes.
I read somewhere that it is also a molecule that has a profound effect on mood. There is apparently a demonstrable scientific effect of breathing the air in and around certain types of forest, particularly old growth forests, which include established Western Red Cedars. The trees release aromatic molecules that greatly enhance mood and a sense of well-being. In high doses it can promote euphoria. It’s the same basic principle of “forest bathing”, in essence. Apologies that I cannot recall the source material for this; it was an article I read some time ago and it made so much sense to me that I filed it away in the “common sense” part of my brain and forgot to make a note of it!

Also, on a fun note, they add it as a main botanical in Thuya gin in Canada, in Quebec and New Brunswick…
https://distilleriefilsduroy.com/en/products/gin-thuya-nb/
so… it cures scurvy, as well?

In which case, a liberal application of Miss Balmain, coupled with with a Thuya G&T, is not an indulgence but a health necessity ;)

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
Monsieur Rochas, Rochas. 1969. Guy Robert.

As always, and when possible, beginning the day - and the scent travel - with After-shave ( that I just got yesyerday with Eau de toilette). Very first impression is something very classy, very nice and well-made. Second thing coming to my mind: it reminds me of Équipage (Hermès). Checking: Guy Robert made both of them, which makes sense.
A really classy, woody green piece of art.

MonsieurRochasPouchBottles.JPG

Latest News