Your Vintage Scent of the Day (SOTD)

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Welcome to the fourth quarter 2021 vintage scent of the day thread!

Here's a link to the previous thread: https://basenotes.com/threads/your-vintage-scent-of-the-day-sotd-q3-2021.502923/

My vintage scent of the day this October 1st is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, a second version tester I got a few years ago on eBay for around $40 from a seller who had a bunch of them.

IMG_6855.jpg

This has me thinking early 70s - Chanel No. 19 even crossed my mind.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
There's also a thought that a fresh thread can be more inviting for new people - let's hope it works and we're bursting at the seams with vintage SOTD posters.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Really? It's never seemed that much of an oddball to me. Fruity for sure, but not especially floral on my skin and with a fairly classic greenish chypre ending.

In fact, on me it's kind of like a downmarket Diorella without the garbage note.

Cardin Choc definitely “normalizes” as it dries down, although with almost comically exaggerated oakmoss; and, yeah, more fruity than floral. But I stand by my first impressions in the Q3 thread.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Cardin Choc definitely “normalizes” as it dries down, although with almost comically exaggerated oakmoss; and, yeah, more fruity than floral. But I stand by my first impressions in the Q3 thread.
I wonder if yours is older than mine? Mine is that overlapping-discs bottle, so probably fairly new.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Given the original's [Choc's] reliance on oakmoss, I would expect new bottles to have suffered in reformulation.
Indubitably.

I was seeking something spicy to accommodate the weekend sync, and realized I hadn't worn Halston Z-14 in a very long time. My big bottle (8 ounces) is from the Jeff Gordon era, so it has fairly big cinnamon, though not as noxious as the very recent stuff. I bought the big one because I use it as a bed pillow spray, a.k.a. fantasy boyfriend.

His 4-ounce little brother has the older Halston Fragrances Inc. label and is a smoother, more elegant critter. But sometimes you just want it rough.

(I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about my crappy old 2-megapixel photos. They're starting to feel like those scallop-edged black & whites that are pasted into the family album by four black glued-on corners. Simpler times.)
Halston.Z14_2_mine.jpg

Last edited:

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
811m.jpg

Latest News