Your Vintage Scent of the Day (SOTD) Q3 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
For an oil, it doesn't have particularly impressive tenacity. I put it on about 11am today and by 5pm it had breathed its last. Would probably make a nice bedtime scent, what with sandalwood's calming quality and all.

That does sound nice still.

IMG_20210922_161353_364.jpg

Clinique Chemistry (1994)

No one really cried when this one got discontinued a few years back, probably because it sits stylistically in a no-man's land between something like Paco Rabanne pour Homme (1973) and Aramis New West (1988) minus the melon notes. It arrived after the cut-off for the powerhouse era so boomers automatically hate it for not being "muh oakmoss", but before the Tom Fordesque YSL and Gucci fragrances came around to give YouTuber-loyal millennial FragCommers something to chase and obsess about post-discontinuation.

Gen Xers don't seem to embrace their era of fragrance either (late 80's through late 90's), and for good reason due to all the blandness that hit shelves then, so they're mostly uninterested too. They're either adopted into the 70's/80's cabal or the FragranceArmy if not pinched by the niche or luxury bug. Only people I see talk about it are those who it was a signature for in it's heyday, which comes down to the average Joe not "into" fragrance being the only one with any sort of recollection of Clinique Chemistry. Commercial fragrances live and die by the memory of their target buyers I guess.

This one is dare I say a gem though. Subtle yes, not a macho musk monster or shrill freshie stuffed full of buzzy notes. It's soapy like the Paco but has that sheer skin trail of the New West, just with slightly more-wholesome top notes (there is a smidge of dihydromyrcenol here, but not dosed like Cool Water). Mostly, I get a soapy musky clean and slightly spicy out-of-shower scent that does as it implies being a "skin cologne". Longevity is not bad either, just slightly intimate in projection. A lot of folks here regardless of age seem to like the soapy Mugler/Prada/Patrick/Sung/Worth vibe, so this might find a home in collections of folks if they're of that stripe.

If only Chemistry wasn't scalped on the bay now. It's $100+ (not terrible all things considered, but too much for what it is). Better than Happy by a mile IMO. I've never smelled the other DC'd men's Clinique (Tailoring) to compare this to it.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills (1984)

toIWjTA.jpg

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Test driving Halston I-12 vintage after shave. Picked it up early this summer but the big temperature drop tonight led me to give it the first try. It seems like a lot more projection difference than between the z-14 cologne and after shave, but it has been a while since I've worn any of these.....

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
My vintage scent of the day is Patou Pour Homme.

IMG_6057.jpg

A crowd pleaser.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I'm really curious about this one! How does it smell like?

Smells great! One of my favorites. Along the lines of Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur, although personally I don't think they're as identical as some reviews may lead you to believe. (Mind you, I'm talking of the current Sex Appeal, which cost me - *drum roll* - 6 euros new!)

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
I'm really curious about this one! How does it smell like?

A very warm and spicy scent. It immediately evokes me a sunny beach with surfers and cocktails in the sunset.

My turn to ask you how this one smells ! I know it by name, but never smelled it...

View attachment 161932

A few healthy splashes of the Made in USA bottle, for some instant grooming. Aramis and the other Bernard Chant composed scents for Grès, Aramis, Clinique, Estee Lauder are such beauties.

How great ! Congratulations !

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Aramis and the other Bernard Chant composed scents for Grès, Aramis, Clinique, Estee Lauder are such beauties.

Sing it, brother.

A while back, the Black Narcissus blog posted a rare photo, the first I've ever seen, of the reclusive master himself. For all the sexy brashness of his scents, he appears to be quite the proper gent in 1982, French cuffs and all:

ChantBernard_photo_1982_CreditFindToBlackNarcissus.jpg

A little dip in the temperature toward autumn levels inspired me today to wear the ivy and vetiver of :

Lolita Lempicka original EDP (1997) by Annick Menardo

I wish more of you guys would take Tania Sanchez's advice and wear this stuff. It's marvelous on men, and about 200X better than the Lempicka Au Masculine version.

6875843_164x250.jpg

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
A while back, the Black Narcissus blog posted a rare photo, the first I've ever seen, of the reclusive master himself. For all the sexy brashness of his scents, he appears to be quite the proper gent in 1982, French cuffs and all

Thanks for the pic - very Inspector Clouseau! Had a genuine unsolicited compliment re the Aramis today. I went to the market for some veg and the lady on the stall said "Oh, I smelled you before you got here - and don't worry, in a good way, it's lovely". Powerful juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News