Very nice. Love this also.

Thanks, Hednic ! I love it, too.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
SOTN:

View attachment 161859

Histoires de Parfums - Noir Patchouli (first release)

As others have noted, neither terribly noir nor predominantly patchouli, but nice nonetheless.

Looks like the bottles haven't changed, just the caps and labels. The old ones do look a little too "world's fair" for my liking, but the obtuse look of modern ones isn't exactly better, just um... less worse?

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
Belle de Rauch.jpg

Belle de Rauch from 1966 - Madeleine de Rauch, a floral, green, chypre very much in the classic tradition. The Black Narcissus blog classifies it as one of the "witchy chypres", make of that what you will. From Cleopatra's Boudoir there is much fuller list of notes than is current on Basenotes.
Top notes: aldehydes, galbanum, bergamot, rosemary, mimosa, nasturtium, ginger, citron
Middle notes: savory, marjoram, jasmine, Bulgarian rose, narcissus, violet, lily of the valley, tuberose, tea rose
Base notes: sycamore, civet, patchouli, oakmoss, ambergris, vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, labdanum, tonka bean, musk

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Looks like the bottles haven't changed, just the caps and labels. The old ones do look a little too "world's fair" for my liking, but the obtuse look of modern ones isn't exactly better, just um... less worse?

I like that sort of campy, Phileas-Fogg-look on the caps and labels. You don't see those kinds of graphic references much in packaging any more. It's fun.

Today I'm in Avon Sheer Essences Sandalwood Perfume Oil -- 1998 (?)

Rumor has it that this contained some real Mysore, but I am too ignorant about sandalwood varieties to pass judgment on that. It does smell quite pleasant though; rather like those heavily-carved folding fans that used to be imported from India when I was a kid.

AvonSheerEssencesSandalwoodOil.HalfOunce.jpg

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I like that sort of campy, Phileas-Fogg-look on the caps and labels. You don't see those kinds of graphic references much in packaging any more. It's fun.

Today I'm in Avon Sheer Essences Sandalwood Perfume Oil -- 1998 (?)

Rumor has it that this contained some real Mysore, but I am too ignorant about sandalwood varieties to pass judgment on that. It does smell quite pleasant though; rather like those heavily-carved folding fans that used to be imported from India when I was a kid.

View attachment 161888

Haven't tried that one. Sorta fell out of view when there was a mild buying hysteria for it here. I assumed prices would end up ridiculous (for Avon) so I wrote it off.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Haven't tried that one. Sorta fell out of view when there was a mild buying hysteria for it here. I assumed prices would end up ridiculous (for Avon) so I wrote it off.

For an oil, it doesn't have particularly impressive tenacity. I put it on about 11am today and by 5pm it had breathed its last. Would probably make a nice bedtime scent, what with sandalwood's calming quality and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News