Dec 5, 2007
EgPJAbW.jpg

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I went with Calvin again today.

1AD0C758-F480-46FC-82E2-22BFE6D6449E.jpg

It seems to be on par with Ho Hang Club, Moschino Pour Homme, and Bijan for Men for getting its hooks in me.

Last edited:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Serious praise! Are there big differences in the two versions of this juice?

Not to me, based on sampling so far. I've done some side-by-side comparisons and felt like Calvin cologne and edt were the same thing.

I'm super into it. And my girlfriend likes it, which is nice after her feedback on Bijan for Men. She was actually hinting that I might consider dialing back on the Bijan wearings!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Shiseido Tactics

It’s reminding me of Eau de Patou through the heart, to the point that I’d probably think that’s what it was if I smelled it blind. Superb quality tart green floral chypre.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
How have I never heard of this? Is it rare?
It’s a late ’70s release that doesn’t enjoy quite the rep Basara/Basala does, and is also still in production, which fortunately means it isn’t nearly as hard to find or costly. I have no idea what difference, if any, there is between current and vintage, as I don’t have either.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
You rang?

I had never heard of it either. I think strifeknot threw the sample into a package I bought from him awhile back.

Really really good, but honestly not sure there is a strong case to own it when you have Eau de Patou, especially if it's rare per above. This is just my first impression, but it's a strong one. It seems structurally very similar, maybe a little less floral, more earthy. Greener and maybe a little grittier up top, before it settles in.

I’ll wear them side by side later to validate and report back.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Shiseido Tactics

It’s reminding me of Eau de Patou through the heart, to the point that I’d probably think that’s what it was if I smelled it blind. Superb quality tart green floral chypre.

You rang?

I had never heard of it either. I think strifeknot threw the sample into a package I bought from him awhile back.

Really really good, but honestly not sure there is a strong case to own it when you have Eau de Patou, especially if it's rare per above. This is just my first impression, but it's a strong one. It seems structurally very similar, maybe a little less floral, more earthy. Greener and maybe a little grittier up top, before it settles in.

I’ll wear them side by side later to validate and report back.

Please do!

I've been wearing both all evening, and they're definitely different enough to have distinct personalities, but I still think they're quite close and stand by the basic difference stated above.

Tactics opens quite green, like Eau de Patou with shrubbery. Stays that way for maybe 10 minutes, and then the difference becomes relatively more herbal and woody notes in Tactics. A also think Tactics has a slight salty tang that Eau de Patou doesn't, and a "fizzy/zesty" texture. It is quieter, and more stereotypically masculine. Eau de Patou is richer and has more body in the base. Both excellent, but if choosing one, it would be the Patou. CB, I do think you would like Tactics a lot for its extra greenness and austerity, even though it is close to Eau de Patou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News