Your top 5 guerlain female perfumes?

the blood on 530 27

Dec 5, 2016
Ok I finally start to sample Guerlain female perfumes, but there are SO! MANY! so What's your recommendations? Which are your top 3?

So far I've tried Apres L'ondee, L'heure Bleu, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar. I'm not so interested in the whole Aqua stuff. What should I try next?

Update: of course top 3 is not enough for Guerlain, so I changed it to top 5.

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Re: Your top 3 guerlain female perfumes?

The three you have tried would have probably been my three favorites (though not necessarily in their current incarnation). Next could be Jicky, Chamade, Vol de Nuit.

cacio

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Re: Your top 3 guerlain female perfumes?

Please can l have 4?? :D

For me, in this order:

1. Samsara
2. Mahora
3. L'Heure Bleue
4. Shalimar

ETA: now that it's 5, l can't decide whether to add L'instant or Eau de Shalimar.

Last edited:

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
I like all the ones I have smelled.

But the wearable ones are samsara and mitsouko for me.

From what you say you like, I would recommend that you try Barbara Bui EDP, you can still get this cheap and it might be right up your alley.

Cybele

Sep 1, 2012
My top 5 are
Mitsouko extrait
Rose Barbare
Rose Nacree du Desert
Vetiver Pour Elle
Le Petit Robe Noir extrait

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
L'Heure Bleue
Mitsouko
Vol de Nuit
Jardins de Bagatelle
Shalimar

teardrop, I'm so glad you listed Mahora! I love it, too, and it would have been #6 on my list, had 5 not been the limit.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Good to see a fellow fan of this one! :thumbsup: And the thread title has been changed, the limit was 3 when l posted last night...:rolleyesold:
Mahora is a delight! And you love it enough to list it above L'Heure Bleue in a list of 3, that's quite a tribute. The fragrance, the bottle, the box...Mahora just makes me happy. :)

ArnaudBoson

May 29, 2015
Unisex, Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique, L'Art et la Matière : Tonka Impériale, L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Néroli Outrenoir

Feminine, Samsara, Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
So many good ones! The ones I like most right now:

Les Secrets de Sophie - most beautiful
Vol de Nuit - classic + guy-friendly
L'Instant - spicy sexy
LPRN Eau Fraïche - shamelessly modern, sporty & androgynous
Boise Torride (discontinued) - naughty & boozy

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
1. Shalimar (I prefer the EdT)
2. Rose Barbare
3. Vol de Nuit
4. Samsara
5. Something delicious I tried years ago but I've forgotten... Gourmand Couquin? Cuir Beluga? Not sure.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Vol de Nuit Vintage is for everybody.
Pois De Senteur Young girls in perfection.
Samsara Vintage Parfum is just Dandy.
Encens Mythique d'Orient didn't like this at first, on myself, however it is plain gorgeous, on my girl.
Heritage. I know, I know, a Masculine. EDP just scents so lovely on the girls.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
1. Chant d'Aromes
2. Liu
3. L'Heure Bleue
4. Jardins de Bagatelle
5. Vol de Nuit

That's a somewhat random list of five. I like plenty of others equally, or nearly equally, well.

shadesofbleu

The power of bleu
Basenotes Plus
Jun 3, 2005
1 L’Heure de Nuit
2 Derby
3 L’Heure Bleue
4 Shalimar
5 L’Instant

I know you said female Guerlains, but I just adore Derby! It is at the very top of the lust-list (after going through several decants!)

the blood on 530 27

Dec 5, 2016
1 L’Heure de Nuit
2 Derby
3 L’Heure Bleue
4 Shalimar
5 L’Instant

I know you said female Guerlains, but I just adore Derby! It is at the very top of the lust-list (after going through several decants!)

Love Derby too! Though I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite leather (I don pick favorite XD ), but it’s the one I rate highest.

Sue

Jan 15, 2007
Iris Ganache
Oriental Brulant
Vol de Nuit Evasion
Mon Precieux Nectar
Shalimar Souffle Intense

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
My personal favorites are most often the underdogs:

- Jardins de Bagatelle
- Mouchoir de Monsieur (yes, even for a woman)
- Aqua Allegorica Rosa Pop
- Champs Elysees
- Shalimar Ode a la Vanilla Sur la route de Madagascar or Mexique

Guerlain's I just cannot stand:

- the entire La Petite Robe Noire line

Suburbanbushbabe

Jun 24, 2015
My top 3 (of my collection) are Encens Mythique d'Orient, Mon Précieux Nectar, and Black Perfecto. I also have a bottle of eau de Cologne du 68. I have my eye on Shalimar Souffle Intense and Vol de Nuit Extrait.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
All great options being already mentioned and while a personal top 5 ranking of faves could not be complete with at least some Aqua Allegoria options, also l'Instant, of course Shalimar, petite Robe Noire, also enjoying and likely to recommend further Songe d'un Bois d'Ete among the exclusives

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
At this time, it would be Insolence and Idylle, as they are the ones specifically for women I have been wearing. Other favourites are gender neutral: the currently worn Eau du Coq and previously worn and under consideration for repurchase Cuir Beluga. An all-time favourite is vintage Shalimar, which I have not worn in a long while but continue to hold in highest esteem.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
The numbers are arbitrary and could be different on a different day:

1. Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune - the first Guerlain that blew my socks off completely
2. Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic - the more I wear it, the less I imagine spending summers without it, it's just so so so happy
3. Shalimar - all the different concentrations + flankers. It had to grow on me, it wasn't love at first sight, but oh how did it grew
4-5-6:
Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde
L'heure Bleue
La Petite Robe Noire Black Perfecto - I can't decide which one to leave off the top five. Limon Verde is just the freshest, loveliest lime, wonderful summer scent. L'Heure Bleue is painfully beautiful in its composition and emotional strength and carries the weight of a true classic. Black Perfecto is just so comforting and intriguing to me that I got backups - and that must mean it's important to me, right?

I can clearly see that I'm not a normal Guerlain fan, as most true Guerlainites do not care too much about the Aqua Allegoria line, but this is where my love for Guerlain started - with the way they are able to make citruses shine. At first most of their "other", non-AA scents - both classics and modern ones - felt a bit too pretentious to me, either too girly (LPRN, Mon Guerlain, Insolence) or too stuffy, fussy, complicated and matronly, too big to even grasp (classics) or just way too ladylike, too pretty and unfitting to such a casual brat as me (Terracotta, L'Instant, Idylle, Shalimar Souffle line) or just way too expensive to even bother trying (Art and Materials line). And the AA just felt so inviting, so carefree, so uncomplicated, so happiness-inducing and so damn good smelling. Later, of course, I kept trying the other Guerlains and one by one they won me over. I found I really appreciate the historical scents and wearing them can move me to the times past, I found I do not have to be ashamed of my own girly side and should not be afraid of pink, I found I can find a lady within me when wearing a beautifully composed scent, and of course I fell in love not only with Guerlain citrus, but also with the wonderful Guerlain vanilla.
Now I love them all - or almost all.

(edited to add more examples)

Last edited:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
1. Chant d'Aromes
2. Liu
3. L'Heure Bleue
4. Jardins de Bagatelle
5. Vol de Nuit

That's a somewhat random list of five. I like plenty of others equally, or nearly equally, well.
Of the five listed, only L'Heure Bleue has had any love in the last three years. Mouchoir de Monsieur is the only other Guerlain that gets used semi-regularly. Derby and Habit Rouge are on the fringes, but still around. If those two could stage comebacks, I feel like there could be hope for some other Guerlains, but for now, we're essentially down to two.

Update: I kind of felt like I might be forgetting something(s). Mitsouko has been used in the last year or two, but not in the last 6 months, or so, that I can think of.

I have five listed now, which is nice.

Last edited:

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
What a beautiful post, Alice - you've clearly given this some thought.

I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to Guerlain, myself. I definitely admire and respect many more than I adore, and the majority of the ones I adore are not the most venerated classics. At any rate, my personal favorites are Iris Ganache, Chamade, L'Instant, Shalimar Parfum Initial and L'Heure Bleue ...and actually, this would make six, but I've just recently discovered how much I enjoy (almost a love...maybe?) Terracotta Voile d'Été.

I inherited a bit of Parure and Nahema, both extraits, plus Shalimar cologne in the clock bottle (my favorite iteration of classic Shalimar) and again, I agree that they're beautiful and artful works of perfumery, but I just don't have the same emotional or visceral reaction to them.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Evangeline - thanks! There are many great and thoughtful posts above, too. I'm glad this old thread was resurrected. Guerlain certainly has lots of amazing scents.

Chamade is very beautiful indeed! I tried it and it was a journey - I found the top notes slightly overwhelming (yet beautiful) but the more it dried down the more I enjoyed it. L'Instant (both edp and edt) is a difficult one for me as I absolutely adore the floral vanilla drydown but my nose interprets the magnolia (or magnolia + something else that reacts with it) in top notes as paint, nail polish and nail polish remover combined so I have to suffer through it to reach the beauty underneath it (and it's worth it every time). But I'm sure it's just my own broken nose as I read all reviews on it I could find and no one seems to interpret the top notes like I do. Shalimar Parfum Initial is something I'm yet to try... but since they rereleased it as L'Initial it's only a matter of time until I can get my hands (or nose) on it.

I really like seeing how different everyone's preferences are. It shows that there's a Guerlain for everyone.

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
Evangeline - thanks! There are many great and thoughtful posts above, too. I'm glad this old thread was resurrected. Guerlain certainly has lots of amazing scents.

Chamade is very beautiful indeed! I tried it and it was a journey - I found the top notes slightly overwhelming (yet beautiful) but the more it dried down the more I enjoyed it. L'Instant (both edp and edt) is a difficult one for me as I absolutely adore the floral vanilla drydown but my nose interprets the magnolia (or magnolia + something else that reacts with it) in top notes as paint, nail polish and nail polish remover combined so I have to suffer through it to reach the beauty underneath it (and it's worth it every time). But I'm sure it's just my own broken nose as I read all reviews on it I could find and no one seems to interpret the top notes like I do. Shalimar Parfum Initial is something I'm yet to try... but since they rereleased it as L'Initial it's only a matter of time until I can get my hands (or nose) on it.

I really like seeing how different everyone's preferences are. It shows that there's a Guerlain for everyone.
Chamade was the among the first "real" (meaning "grown-up") perfumes I ever owned and loved (I was a tiny tot at the time, and it was in a set of minis.) I believe that's what blossomed into my love of all things hyacinth.

That's very unfortunate about L'instant. But it's not your nose of course, it's your brain, and how it perceives notes and accords will always be informed by your own prior experiences with them. This is especially true the very first time I encounter a fragrance ...say, if it has even a touch of cumin in it, I'll always smell that before I notice anything else, so I think "eew, cumin." I love it in food but it reminds me of dirty and stale sweat in perfumery (which I think is its function, actually.) But it's just a kneejerk reaction to something instantly recognizable that might be a lot more subtle once I become more familiar with the overall composition. I'm also starting to believe that we may all be somewhat anosmic to one or another element in the vast array of fragrances we come across, which would certainly shift how the fragrance is perceived. At any rate, that's reason enough to not be offended when others might really hate the perfumes we cherish ...as long as they're not jerks about it, lol.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Now that an excellent iteration of Apres L'Ondee EDT has been released (and in a gorgeous inverted heart-capped spray bottle), I'm revising my list. The current ALO smells wonderful and lasts a long time, while retaining its shimmering delicacy. I'm also not quite as enamored of a couple of other Guerlains as I used to be, though they're all beautiful and hard to rank. So...

L'Heure Bleue
Mitsouko
Apres L'Ondee
Mahora
Nahema

Jardins de Bagatelle is definitely an honorable mention, and of course Shalimar will forever be a standout.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Top favourites of currently owned Guerlain perfumes, the first three are modern Guerlain scents:
Mon Guerlain EDP Intense
LPRN Black Perfecto EDP
L'Instant Magic
Samsara EDT
L'Heure Bleue EDP and Terracotta Le Parfum are tied for the No.5 spot.

Used to love the discontinued Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau but I've used up all of my bottle (this would be in my top 5 if I still owned some) and I will always have a soft spot for Shalimar and some of the other Shalimar flanker scents.

One classic Guerlain perfume that I would love to try is Apres L'Ondee.

I've recently blind bought Shalimar Cologne but it hasn't arrived yet! I'm hoping it will be a Shalimar scent that I can wear during the summer.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Top favourites of currently owned Guerlain perfumes, the first three are modern Guerlain scents:
Mon Guerlain EDP Intense
LPRN Black Perfecto EDP
L'Instant Magic
Samsara EDT
L'Heure Bleue EDP and Terracotta Le Parfum are tied for the No.5 spot.

Used to love the discontinued Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau but I've used up all of my bottle (this would be in my top 5 if I still owned some) and I will always have a soft spot for Shalimar and some of the other Shalimar flanker scents.

One classic Guerlain perfume that I would love to try is Apres L'Ondee.

I've recently blind bought Shalimar Cologne but it hasn't arrived yet! I'm hoping it will be a Shalimar scent that I can wear during the summer.
Shalimar Cologne is excellent, I hope you will enjoy it! Do share your impressions when it arrives.
L'Instant Magic is another one I'd really like to try... I suspect I might really like it, too. Unfortunately, in order to try it I should blind buy it, and for that I need to find a good deal first. :D
Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau will probably remain something I'll never try...unless they decide to rerelease it, too. I hope they do.

Latest News