Your thoughts on the Valentino Uomo / Valentino Donna franchise

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm inviting anybody who has sniffed any scent in this series to share their thoughts on the series, or on any and all individual scents.

Valentino-Uomo-Acqua.jpg

I have fallen for several scents in this series - both the men's and the women's. Even the one's I don't like enough to buy (yet) have appealed to me.

xvalentino-donna-startseitenvisual-pagespeed-ic_-xts_csfxg9.jpg

The growth of the series was mildly restrained at first, but now, when you get to flankers of flankers, well....

Screenshot_20210603-033023.jpg

So what do you think? I'm curious!

AntonPan

May 8, 2008
We should distinguish Uomo line done by Puig (pre 2019) and done by L'Oreal (2019-).
The first one is full of masterpieces.
The second one is trashy clones of Invictus.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I have a 5 ml decant of Valentino Uomo Intense. I don't know when it's from - it's nice, obviously inspired by the Dior Homme line. I think Dior Homme / Intense does the same thing but better (more refined, less spiky), based on wrist tests and wearing it once. I've read a lot of posts on why people like Valentino Uomo / Uomo Intense, and it's almost always these -

• I want more "performance" that Dior Homme / Intense lacks ("watered down" / "reformulated" / "vintage was better")
  • I think Dior Homme / Intense is too feminine, has too much of a makeup vibe, Valentino has less makeup and more leather

I can see the argument, especially the second one, but none of these apply to my case. There's of course another group that wears / prefers Valentino Uomo just because of itself, without the Dior Homme comparisons (these folks might or might not also have / wear Dior Homme), but that is a minority in my experience.

Overall they are nice to have, but I would just stick to Dior (specifically Dior Homme Intense) because I like it the best.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Only familiar with some, not even all the masculines in the series, happen to enjoy regular Valentino Uomo and also the Intense almost as much as the so far absolute personal favorite masculine Valentino scent ever- the sadly discontinued Very Valentino

faubel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 10, 2019
Fell hard for VUI. I've got a travel spray and keep thinking about a bottle. I'm pretty fickle so I try to restrain myself on bottle purchases as much as I can.

I'd dismissed Dior Homme and DHI after sampling them a couple years ago, and I re-tried them yesterday after reading that some find them smoother and more feminine than the Valentinos. For me it is still the opposite. I get a soapy note in DH. And DHI, it has this thing that I think is a musk, some sort of fuzzy aromachem that really rankles my nose and ruins any fragrance I find it in.

By contrast, VUI, when I really dig in, has one of those woody base notes that is a lot like iso e super. I can live with it because it's subtle--I have to really look for it. And as annoying as I find it when those things dominate a fragrance, I find them tolerable.

I also really love leather, I think... I don't usually notice it as "leather" but I keep loving perfumes that have it listed prominently.

I have samples of the Noir Absolu masculine and feminine ones, which each got tried once and thrown back in the box. Might dig those back out for another try and I'll report back here if I do.

I really want to try Valentino Donna after reading someone's raves about it... Valentino Uomo is on my test list as well.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
Only familiar with some, not even all the masculines in the series, happen to enjoy regular Valentino Uomo and also the Intense almost as much as the so far absolute personal favorite masculine Valentino scent ever- the sadly discontinued Very Valentino

remember first time i smelled Very Valentino line, it was in deoderant form, it was the best smelling deoderant ive ever encounter, and i desperately searched for the perfume to go with it, but never found it and i always regretted not finding one to try, if it was and probably is as good or probably alot better then the deoderant, then i missed out on something great.

goodsmellingviking

Jul 7, 2010
Valentino Umo for me is a very pleasant gourmet, like other say, close to dior pour homme, but its lighter and more "fresh" then dior, could easily own, but having had so many gourmands over the years its just nothing new or overly exciting in it for me, but as mentioned, very pleasant gourmand, ive had the diour pour homme, and sold it after 2 years since its so strong that i only used it every christmas when the suit was on and it was time going out with friends celebreting holidays., very very nice scent dior is, but its like a original joop homme, it keeps projecting all day and next day! very intense..in that regard i would pick umo instead, not as good as dior but more pleasant to use and still good.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
remember first time i smelled Very Valentino line, it was in deoderant form, it was the best smelling deoderant ive ever encounter, and i desperately searched for the perfume to go with it, but never found it and i always regretted not finding one to try, if it was and probably is as good or probably alot better then the deoderant, then i missed out on something great.

Seconded and somewhat staying on topic, as much as liking certain scents from the Valentino Uomo/Donna ranges, have yet to test more among both these series and any other Valentino lines outside of these. More so if wanting to find something with the same smooth, cool, both refined yet still distinctive like the masculine impressive tobacco and floral complexities rendered effortlessly in Very Valentino.

Latest News