Your 'signature' throughout your life

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
Azzaro Pour Homme would be a excellent signature I could settle with.

Next contenders:

Costume National Homme
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
Guerlain Heritage EDP
Ralph Lauren Polo
Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black

du57in

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 21, 2014
I have a small stable of signatures that, despite having many bottles and hundreds of samples and decants, I wear more than everything else combined.

In the past year that has included:

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
Allure Homme Edition Blanche
YSL Rive Gauche
L'Occitane Eau des Baux
Terre d'Hermes

(Yikes, my list looks like the poster child for the "guy who got into fragrances in the mid-2000s.")

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
I have a small stable of signatures that, despite having many bottles and hundreds of samples and decants, I wear more than everything else combined.

In the past year that has included:

Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
Allure Homme Edition Blanche
YSL Rive Gauche
L'Occitane Eau des Baux
Terre d'Hermes

(Yikes, my list looks like the poster child for the "guy who got into fragrances in the mid-2000s.")
I need to buy a bottle of L'Occitane Eau des Baux soon I have yet to smell this one yet always hear how nice it is!

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
Other than Brut and Old Spice?… 🙂

1990s: Chanel PM Concentree, Eternity, ck Be, Davidoff Goodlife, AdG
2000s: Amani Mania, D&G The One

And the last 10+ years and what I think of as my signature fragrances:
Aramis
Azzaro
Polo
Lauder for Men
Giorgio Beverly Hills
DHI

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Great thread topic.

First love: Like a lot of guys my age (now firmly ensconced in middle age), my first signature scent was none other than... Drakkar Noir. This would have been the late 80s / early '90s when I was too young to really need a fragrance, but I wanted one anyway. Also used to wear my step dad's late 80s bottle of Fahrenheit quite a bit. Quite beastly, but it smelled dangerous, and what else do you need as a wimpy 11 year old trying to feel tough? It's hilarious to think of a dorky little pre-teen going to school drenched in Fahrenheit and Drakkar Noir, but looking back, I think my tastes have held up pretty well!

Teen years: From there, my next serious signature was Polo Sport, which lasted through the rest of the 90s. I'll stand by this one as a decent enough '90s scent, too. At least it was distinctive, even if everyone I knew wore it at one point or another. I dabbled with Nautica (Classic) and Guy Laroche Horizon, too, but neither really stuck.

College missteps: Around age 20, I got a bottle of Dunhill Desire (the red one) and wore that for a couple years. Never really liked it, to be honest. Smells like synthetic apple candy, mostly gross.

True love: It wouldn't arrive for a few more years, upon a chance visit to a L'Occitane retailer around 2004. I remember sniffing Loccitan and liking it fine, even considered buying it, until I stumbled onto what would immediately become my favorite scent of all time and instant signature scent: L'Occitane Eau de Vetyver. Woods, spices, a little light leather, and some eminently wearable vetiver all merge into what I still consider the perfect combination of notes. Somehow I never entertained the possibility that this might someday be discontinued, because why would you get rid of something this good?! Boggles the mind. I probably went through 3 bottles before they did away with it and hung me out to dry.

An elevated signature: Even while my heart was dedicated to Eau de Vetyver, in 2006 I had a chance encounter with a brand new scent from Hermes, just as it was being released into the world. I smelled Terre d'Hermes at a Saks counter, fell in love with it immediately (it oddly complements EdV quite nicely), and wound up gifted a bottle later that year from my girlfriend at the time. This would become my second signature scent for years, the one I'd grab for a formal event, whenever I needed to impress. Eau de Vetyver was my daily driver 9 times out of 10; Terre d'Hermes was classier, more ethereal, yet slightly edgier; reserved for special occasions.

Modern times: It wasn't until I finally exhausted the last dregs of my final bottle of EdV, and with my original bottle of TdH nearing bottom, that I turned to the internet to find my next signature scent. Which of course led me here early last year, and now there's no hope for me.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
I would say what has remained consistent for me in the past 35 years has been Christian Dior's Eau Savuage. I started in the mid 80s, had it and the Extreme version in the tall black bottle thoughout the 90s. Currently, I have several vintage versions and also the more modern one, which I make sure to always have one on hand. Both Parfums, the Cuir version, but never liked the Cologne version and totally missed the 80 Glacon version in the early 2000s.

Mar 13, 2012
I can't remember the exact years but:

Lauren (original)
Paris
Opium
Obsession
Amarige
No 19

Then I found niche and started collecting perfumes, so now I don't think I have one signature scent.

No 19 has stayed with me throughout the decades though.

Last edited:

ImaFedec

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 12, 2019
Not sure if it was in this order but roughly:

CKone
Kenzo pour homme
Armani Code
Hugo boss bottle
Allure Homme Sport
The One for men and Icon Racing 2016-17
Terre d'Hermes 2018

Interestingly, I do not have any signature scent any more since I have started my frag journey beginning 2019 and took interest into non designers.
Now, it feels nostalgic.

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Adg./ Cool water /Happy Clinique (teen fumbles!)

Actually forgettable ones for a good period ( pressies, high street efforts...) Zara Gold and Silver?

Oscar for Men!
Le.Male
Spice.& Wood Marks and Spencer (fragrance fairly functional in this period.)

A bud had opened:
Dunhill Desire, Habit Rouge, Red For Men, Wonderwood, Encre Noire., Burberry Touch

2015+?
#1.Worth pour Homme
#2.Pour Lui Oscar de la Renta
#3. Polo

Anon!

RawM.I.A.

Wait, What's That Smell?!
Basenotes Plus
Jan 25, 2017
Late 90's-Tommy
Early 2000's-Liz Claiborne Sport For Men/Bvlgari BLV Pour Homme
2011ish/2012ish-Versace Eros/Prada Lunna Rossa
2016-(Introduction to designer exclusives/niche)Tom Ford Oud Wood/Neroli Portofino
2017-Dior Oud Ispahan/Guerlain Encens Mythique

MFfan310

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 19, 2004
Phase 1, 2004-2008: Mugler Cologne Come Together
Phase 2: 2008-2014: Kilian Straight to Heaven
Phase 3, 2014-2015: Creed MI
Phase 4, 2015-2016: Dior Leather Oud
Phase 5, 2016-2018: Creed Aventus
Phase 6, 2018-2020: MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
Phase 7, 2020-2021: Pierre Guillaume Metal Hurlant
Phase 8, 2021-present: MFK L'Homme A la Rose

cdave2

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2019
I keep coming back to Eau de Cartier, the classic white shirt of fragrances: always crisp, always comfortable, and while it may not be the most distinctive of choices it always feels appropriate. It “becomes” me in that it doesn’t wear me, in addition to being flattering.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I keep coming back to Eau de Cartier, the classic white shirt of fragrances: always crisp, always comfortable, and while it may not be the most distinctive of choices it always feels appropriate. It “becomes” me in that it doesn’t wear me, in addition to being flattering.

IMO, excellent description of Eau de Cartier.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
For decades, I considered aramis (classic) to be my signature scent. Since joining Basenotes and following my favorite youtube fragrance reviewer, I've learned so much, and have discovered--and continue to discover--fragrances that are beautiful and interesting. Don't know that I will ever again have a "signature scent," but if so, it would likely be:

1. Guerlain Heritage
2. Guerlain Habit Rouge
3. Pour Monsieur edt or edp
4. New Your Intense
5. Bois Imperial
6. Guerlain Vetiver

Jan 17, 2022
I've been on the planet now 61 years and was thinking of all the smells I 'owned' as my signature smell throughout that time. I completely admit seeing that choice as an accessory to meeting females so therefore has always been very important to me. Remember, like many of you I flirted with other fragrances in a pretty large collection but always felt I needed a signature that a female I was dating at the time identified as me! Ok, and it's so sad I remember all this so vividly:

1971: Hai Karate
1973: Old Spice
1977: Hud (Avon)
1978: Denim
1980: Aramis
1982: Givenchy
1985: Kouros
1988: Jazz
1993: Paco Rabanne
1996: JPG Male
1999: Chanel Allure Homme
2005: Chanel Allure Sport
2006: Chanel Allure Homme (again)
2010: PR Million
2011: MIchael Kors
2012: Chanel Allure Homme (yet again!)
2018: Perry Ellis 'M'

Phew!
I've been on the planet now 61 years and was thinking of all the smells I 'owned' as my signature smell throughout that time. I completely admit seeing that choice as an accessory to meeting females so therefore has always been very important to me. Remember, like many of you I flirted with other fragrances in a pretty large collection but always felt I needed a signature that a female I was dating at the time identified as me! Ok, and it's so sad I remember all this so vividly:

1978: Denim
1980: Aramis
1982: Givenchy
1985: Kouros
1988: Jazz
1993: Paco Rabanne
1996: JPG Male
1999: Chanel Allure Homme
2005: Chanel Allure Sport
2006: Chanel Allure Homme (again)
2010: PR Million
2011: MIchael Kors
2012: Chanel Allure Homme (yet again!)
2018: Perry Ellis 'M'

Phew!
I'm 75 so I've got a few years on you. I can't remember the first fragance I used; probably my dad's Old Spice. But I was introduced to an array of delicious fragrances on my mom's vanity: Shalimar (in the circular bottle brought from France by my dad after WW2); White Shoulders; Woodhue; and Tigress. There may have been more, but that's what I can remember. I list my signature fragrances this way: before 1989 and after 1989.
Old Spice (my father's)---mid-50s. (Discovered Blue Waltz around this time; loved it but wouldn't wear it.)
English Leather--late 50's
Jade East--early 60s
Brut--late 60s
Canoe--late 60s
Aramis--late 60s
Vetiver (Guerlain)-- late 60s
Monsieur Rochas--early 70s
Jungle Gardenia --early 70s (Discovered, but never worn outside the house; a guilty pleasure.)
Devin---mid 70s
Eau Sauvage ---late 70s
(I avoided a lot of the 80s scents; too loud for me, although I did dally with Drakkar Noir for a minute.)

And then in 1989, I discoverd JICKY. Love at first whiff.
My signature, and go to, scent ever since then. I alternate with Eau Sauvage in the summer.

Borleone

Feb 12, 2022
Pretty new to this hobby. Started 3-4 years back.
2019 - YSL Y EDP
2021 - MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP
2022 - Recently got Ella K Lettre de Pushkar, which might be a start of a new era for me :)

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Man, I'm 61 too. Behind the Iron Curtain up to my 30s, I began much later than you. And even after that the real scents, above the category of Red Square Moscow, came in very slowly. What I can remember the first shocks were Alain Delon Iquitos, and Dior Homme Jules. Then Cacharel PH, I loved The Dreamer. Then for a long time my children were the first - our financial situation here were surely worse than of those living in the developed countries. Then there came Kurkdjian APOM Homme, it WAS a signature for 2 years. Boucheron Jaipur, Putman L'Original, Carven PH, Guerlain Habit Rouge L'Eau , and finally Tom Ford Ombre Leather Parfum.

Now I can see the end of the road, I don't know if I will even buy more bottles ever.

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
When I was a kid, it was Stetson. For whatever reason, I always ended up with one in my stocking at Christmas.

When I was in my 20's, it was Xeryus de Givenchy (while all the other boys bathed themselves in Drakkar Noir.)

Then I fell off the cologne train. Went a different direction with essential oils for most of my adult life.

Now I'm back on the cologne train 30 years later, and By the Fireplace, Jubilation, Ani and Pomelo Riviera are my favorites. Can't say they're signatures (yet) but they're all contenders. In the realm of designer - I'm rather falling in love with Acqua di Gio Profumo.

Davem81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
I also don't really consider that I've had a 'signature' fragrance as such. Saying that, a few do stand out from the crowd at certain points in my life;

1990's: Polo, Tommy
2000's: Paul Smith London, L'eue Bleu D'Issey
2010's: Acqua di Parma Colonia

A level below the above, I also recall that I had a period - circa 2016 - where I was wearing two particular scents disproportionately to the variety of bottles I had come to own by that time, to what might have been considered (albeit temporarily) 'signature'-level. Those were Creed Vetiver '48, and Byredo Mr. Marvellous. I also put a very significant dent in a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur within a short period some time after this, 2018 maybe. That's something that very rarely happens to me these days.

I'd also give an honourable mention in this post to Royal Scottish Lavender, as pound for pound probably my most worn scent since the day I acquired it, and one of my absolute favourites.

Last edited:

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Definitely Terre d'Hermes. It was the first fragrance I ever smelled that didn't smell like anything else in Sephora. It smelled like the kind of thing you would wear to savor the scent for yourself, not just as part of a personal maintenance routine to be presentable for others. I don't necessarily wear it that often, but it is kind of the benchmark against which I compare many other fragrances, sort of like the way certain dishes always taste "wrong" if they weren't made the way your mom/grandma/etc made them. TdH is my idea of satisfying home cooking. As much as I love other frags and have over 100 now, if I had to reduce it down to one, I wouldn't be mad with TdH.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
When I was a kid in school/early college, I used to use Swiss Army and Tommy the most. Now, I have over 100 fragrances and barely use them. I have a daughter now, and 5% of my fragrances are unisex. Time to sell haha.

Jun 19, 2022
This will be very vague

Babydoll EDT (I wore it a lot growing up but my step-mother broke the bottle she never replaced it so I only replaced it back in 2011-2013)
Miss Dior Cherie EDP (Mid Teens)
J'Adore EDP (Mid Teens)
Hypnotic Poison EDT (Mid Teens)
Ghost Anticipation (Mid Teens)
Ghost Deep Night (Mid Teens)
Si Intense EDP (Early-Mid 20s)
Chance EDP (Mid-Late 20s)
Poison Girl EDT (Late 20s)
Hypnose EDP(Late 20s)
Flowerbomb EDP (Late 20s)
Dior Joy EDP (Late 20s)
Girl of Now Forever EDP (Late 20s)
Day Dreams EDP (Late 20s)
Samsara EDP (Late 20s)
Good Girl EDP (Late 20s)
La Belle EDP (Late 20s)
Nomade EDP (Late 20s)
Libre EDP (Late 20s)
Idole Aura EDP (Late 20s)
Vanilla Diorama EDP (Late 20s)

Last tweak I swear and I think that's all of them.

Last edited:

Mick B

Oct 12, 2021
I think I've only had two signature scents. Scents that when people would smell it, they'd know I was around.

Jil Sander Sun and Comme Des Garcons Wonderwood

Especially the last years I have been wearing so many different perfumes that I dont feel I have a 'signature' scent anymore. Maybe I should wear Oud Monarch more :)
Crazy, I wore Sun again, for the first time in years, and instantly got compliments again. I'm not sure what it does on my skin, but I think I have to wear it more often again

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I've been on the planet now 61 years and was thinking of all the smells I 'owned' as my signature smell throughout that time.

By my calculations, you were eleven years old in 1971 -- and you were wearing Hai Karate to elementary school to attract girls ?!? I find that a little horrifying. (And I believe anyone who remembers the smell of Hai Karate would also find it so.)

Jungle Gardenia --early 70s (Discovered, but never worn outside the house; a guilty pleasure.)

I'm only remarking on this because: you just joined Basenotes this year and and I'm astonished that the user name "Guerlinade" was still available.

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
1978-1984 Brut and Brut 33
1984-1989 Drakkar Noir
1989-1994 Cool Water
1994-2020 mostly nothing; some occasional Axe(Kilo)
2020-now having built a collection
----Silver Mountain Water was 1st
----Terre d'Hermes was 2nd
----I now think that Ferrari Radiant Bergamot is becoming my signature scent

Latest News