Your Perfume Rotations in 2021

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Some comments on rotations:

Originally, I selected 10 fragrances per month and that is what I happily wore. Now, my rotation evolves more naturally. I put everything away at the end of the month and select 4-5 for my new rotation. Then I add several more during the course of the month. I end up wearing these 8-10 multiple times during the month. A few times I'll get a hankering for something in storage and pull it out for a single wear.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
I have accumulated quite a few samples of fougeres, and aim to write more notes/reviews this month, and finish some off.
At the same time, I'm unwilling to give up heavier scents just yet - the weather is still cold and wintry.

February Fougeres : (FBs) - Aramis Tuscany (great minds think alike, Bavard); Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo. Decants/samples - Rogue Fougere L'Aube; TF Beau de Jour; Caron 3eme Homme, Impact Pour Un Homme; Houbigant Fougere Royale; Penhaligon's Sartorial; Knize Forest; Diptyque Eau de Minthe
February Frankincense : (FBs) Penhaligon's Elixir; CdG Avignon; Piguet Casbah; Etro Shaal Nur. Decants/samples - Unum LAVS; Knize Sec; Rook Thurible; Heeley Eau Sacree; Odin 07 Tanoke. CdG Zagorsk, with a fougere-ish top and (not frank)incense
Need the Hermes stalwarts too : Equipage and Bel Ami. And Knize Ten.
Clockwork Alice : my stated rotations are seasonal or musings on a theme. FBs go on display on the chest of drawers, along with samples in a bowl. Setting an intention, not always adhered to, and that's cool.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
It doesn't feel very easy to stick to rotation for me though. I keep wanting to wear whatever what's not in it. And there's a bunch of scents that I kind of want to always have in rotation, too. But I'll try for the sake of experiment.

This is why I originally started having a separate section for all year round scents. My criteria was that I wanted to wear these scents at least twice a month, every month. I actually have three newer perfumes that I want to try as all year round scents so I'm going to bring back a "All year round scent" section in February.

I think it was pretty successful overall, the only problem is that I seem to want to wear everything at once. :D I should make up my mind if focusing on fewer scents for a period of time or wearing everything in my wardrobe at least once in a month is what I want more.

Is there a common theme to the scents you want to wear all at once? Every now and then I have theme cravings (mainly notes for me) and I've found that if I allow myself to have a day or two off rotation to have a mini smell-a-thon, I can then go back to my rotation and enjoy the rest of the month. Rotations are meant to be fun so I never force myself to stick precisely to it. Yesterday, I wanted rose so I had a mini smell-a-thon yesterday afternoon and evening and today, I wasn't quite finished because I'm wanting to wear lots of musk scents this morning.

What was the original reason that you wanted to try rotations? My reasoning was that I wanted to really get to know my fragrances better (to learn how they could change slightly from wearing to wearing in varying weather conditions - not just temps but in varying degrees of relative humidity as well) and that a part of me wasn't completely happy with my perfume wardrobe at the time - the balance was off kilter somehow...... Another thing to consider is if you have a wearers mentality to perfumes or a collectors mentality or a mix of both! I have a wearers mentality so I really don't like it if my perfumes aren't getting worn enough. I'm happiest when my perfumes get 20+ wears per year but 15+ is o.k. too and I find that rotations help with this instead of trying to wear everything once each month.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Here's my February Rotation.

All Year Round scents that I want to wear every month.
Eau Rose by Diptyque
Mon Guerlain EDP Intense by Guerlain (wore this a lot in 2020, want to try wearing this every month)
Santal by Fragonard (very new scent to my perfume wardrobe, I find this scent very calming but uplifting as well so giving it a try as an all year round scent)
Tiare by Ormonde Jayne (wore this a lot in 2020, want to try wearing this every month)

Seasonal scents - summer
L'Agent by Agent Provocateur
Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A (all year round scent)
Narciso EDP by NR (one of my newer scents)
No. 19 Poudre by Chanel

Finish Focus scents
Bal d'Afrique by Byredo
Raw Silk & Red Roses by 4160 Tuesdays

February only scents
Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense by Chanel
Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Femme (new scent to perfume wardrobe - December gift)
L'Instant Magic by Guerlain (all year round scent)
NR for Her EDT (new scent bought in January, I have owned a mini of this in the past)
Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens
Une Folie de Rose by Rosine (a scent that has been out of my perfume wardrobe for several years but I received a 2nd bottle as a gift in December)
Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone (a salty herbal musk with a hint of citrus that is both cool and warm)

Total of 15 scents plus two finish focus scents.

Last edited:

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
A few times I'll get a hankering for something in storage and pull it out for a single wear.

This makes me curious about your storage solution and its relative accessibility.

I'm sticking with my current rotation for just a little longer

See, this is the kind of flexibility that makes it all successful, IMO, ClockWorkAlice.

Plus some more Sycomore sampling...

EDP?

Wood Sage & Sea Salt by Jo Malone (a salty herbal musk with a hint of citrus that is both cool and warm)

That’s a very good description of Wood Sage Sea Salt. I wish it smelled like something other than rubber tires on me! Mr. Kotori wears it successfully.

Mine for February:

Finish Focus: Flower by Kenzo

1. 31 Rue Cambon EDT
2. Flower by Kenzo
3. Hanae Mori EDT
4. Infusion d’Iris EDP
5. L de Lolita
6. Mito EDP
7. Mitsouko EDT
8. Rush
9. Sanrovia
10. Traversee du Bosphore
11. With Love by Guerlain

Note that I do not yet have the Mito EDP, but am hoping to receive it in the next week or so.

Last edited:

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Some comments on rotations:

Originally, I selected 10 fragrances per month and that is what I happily wore. Now, my rotation evolves more naturally. I put everything away at the end of the month and select 4-5 for my new rotation. Then I add several more during the course of the month. I end up wearing these 8-10 multiple times during the month. A few times I'll get a hankering for something in storage and pull it out for a single wear.

This makes me curious about your storage solution and its relative accessibility.

I keep my current rotation on top of my dresser for easy access and because I enjoy seeing the bottles. The rest of the collection is stored in their original boxes which are in larger containers, either in my closet or in a cupboard, So, if I want to wear something outside my rotation I have to unpack it. Any of my 70+ bottles are easy to find: i group them by house, niche, classics, and indies. I can see that over a 100 bottles might pose an organization problem.

My Sycomore samples are edp.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you everyone on your insights and tips on rotations!
Now I think I am doing everything more or less right from the start except one thing - I'm too strict on myself. I shouldn't stress about choosing something out of rotation for five or so times per month, it's normal part of enjoying fragrances and listening to yourself instead of failing to stick to rotation. I already think of the points Kotori makes when adding scents. I do also think that CuddleCat's approach would make the most sense to me, too. Actually, my monthly wearing stats show pretty well that the rotation is actually working nicely. I just overthink it, that's all. :)

What was the original reason that you wanted to try rotations? My reasoning was that I wanted to really get to know my fragrances better (to learn how they could change slightly from wearing to wearing in varying weather conditions - not just temps but in varying degrees of relative humidity as well) and that a part of me wasn't completely happy with my perfume wardrobe at the time - the balance was off kilter somehow...... Another thing to consider is if you have a wearers mentality to perfumes or a collectors mentality or a mix of both! I have a wearers mentality so I really don't like it if my perfumes aren't getting worn enough. I'm happiest when my perfumes get 20+ wears per year but 15+ is o.k. too and I find that rotations help with this instead of trying to wear everything once each month.

The original reason why I wanted to try rotations was to try out something new and to mimic a smaller wardrobe so that certain scents would get more wears, also for easier time finishing up scents that I like but which aren't my favourites.
The conflict in it is that I both want to give my fragrances more time and wears AND not to neglect any scent in my wardrobe at the same time as I have a wearer's mentality, too. If I don't use something I have, I feel bad. The rotation solves the first part but makes the second part harder because if a scent isn't in rotation for several months in a row, you do not wear it! And also there are favourites that I want to wear every month and often, and there are some scents that I actually want to wear maybe once per month/bimonthly or so, and not more often, therefore there's no point in putting them in any rotations ever, and therefore every time I'd wear them it would feel like cheating. UNLESS I am less strict about all this and allow myself to wander without any guilt of not sticking to rotation a 100%. :)
I think the actual solution to my "problems" is not a rotation but going back to a smaller wardrobe and finishing up scents that are not true loves. But I think rotating will help me to achieve that, too, I just have to do in the easier way. :)

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Update:

February

Finish Focus: Flower

1. 31 Rue Cambon
2. Elixir des Merveilles
3. Flower
4. Hanae Mori
5. Infusion d’Iris
6. L de Lolita
7. Mito EDP
8. Mitsouko
9. Rush
10. Sanrovia
11. Traversee du Bosphore
12. With Love

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Ooookay, I didn't find time to do it yesterday, but I did think about my February rotation for the past few days, and here it is:

1. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune (wintery citrus, a favourite)
2. Guerlain Shalimar EDP (a Shalimar & a favourite)
3. Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum (I loved having it on January, and it's still new)
4. Guerlain Shalimar Souffle Intense (a cool weather flanker I want to spend more time with)
5. Guerlain Insolence EDT (a pink, powdery, sweet and fluffy scent)
6. Guerlain Samsara EDT (a light and airy woody scent, layers greatly with Organza)
7. Givenchy Organza (a rich oldschool floriental, layers greatly with Samsara)
8. Cartier Le baiser du dragon (a woody floriental-almost-gourmand, a love that was a bit neglected lately)
9. Kenzo Jungle (a monster oriental, a cure for pandemic dullness, a work-at-home scent)
10. Juliette Has A Gun Mad Madame (a slightly dirty rose-patchouli I've been wearing less than I'd love to)
11. Jean Paul Gaultier Classique EDP (an intoxicating boozy vanilla)
12. L'Erbolario Meharees (a cozy amber, I wore it extensively last February)
13. Narciso Rodriguez Narciso Rouge (a mini, a Narciso, one to wear more to decide if I should keep it or pass it on)
14. Azzedine Alaia Alaia (a mini & a body cream, and a finish focus scent)
15. Azzedine Alaia Alaia Nude (a 10 ml almost-mini spray, a finish focus scent I might actually decide to rebuy later, who knows)
16. Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier Parfum (a sweet and easy wear, too much left to be a finish focus; I want to wear is alongside Alaia Nude to decide which one I love more)
17. Lolita Lempicka Oh Ma Biche (a happy fruity scent, a morning scent, a mask spray scent)
18. L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh (a mini; an indulgent scent; I didn't wear it much in January although I wanted to, so it stays for more)
19. L'Artisan Parfumeur Noir Exquis (a mini; a coffee scent; a bedtime or cozy morning before shower scent)
20. Avon Today (a travel spray; a lovely floral; a finish focus)
21. Molinard Les Amoureux de Peynet (a superfresh gingery citrus; a favourite that I missed; morning scent)
I also left 22 and 23 to be reachable on bathroom counter - decants of Rose Jam and Twilight by Lush. I'm not sure if I'll want to wear them much if any, but it's a good time to do it as they're my home scents anyway, so I add them here.
...and a Etat Libre d'Orange sample set is on its way to me already to fulfill my cravings for novelty. It'll be on rotation, too.

...I already love wearing two or even three scents per day during these crazy times, but this? :D

Maybe I overdid it this time a bit and chose way too many scents, but this time I included many things I want to wear right now, many things I'd like to finish up sooner, many things I want to get more familiar with, and also things that layer together, cozy things, things that I'll want to choose for Friday Synchs, things I've been neglecting lately and some favourites. I also excluded several of my all time favourites that I actually want to be in pretty much all of my rotations (Guilty Absolute, NR For Her, Bvlgari Black) because I love wearing these scents when going somewhere, and this is going to be a stay at home month for me anyway. Therefore I chose more scents I wouldn't normally go to work or to a bar with. :)

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I keep my current rotation on top of my dresser for easy access and because I enjoy seeing the bottles. The rest of the collection is stored in their original boxes which are in larger containers, either in my closet or in a cupboard, So, if I want to wear something outside my rotation I have to unpack it. Any of my 70+ bottles are easy to find: i group them by house, niche, classics, and indies. I can see that over a 100 bottles might pose an organization problem.

My Sycomore samples are edp.

Sounds like a great system!

What do you think of Sycomore?

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Decided to go with a late winter rotation, have to see how much I am able to stick to it.

hp49zLp.jpg

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
For March, Tuscany and Versace L'Homme are staying and are joined by Monsieur de Givenchy, Fahrenheit, Chanel for Men, Moschino Pour Homme, Bel Ami, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Allure Homme Edition Blanche, and Mouchoir de Monsieur.

.jpg

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Getting the March rotation down to these 13 was a multi-person effort. I love this time of year. The only holdover is Kenzo Flower.

Finish Focus: Flower

1. Angelique Noire
2. Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
3. Chypre Siam
4. Coromandel
5. Diorella
6. Eau de Neroli Dore
7. Flower
8. Galop d’Hermes
9. Gieffeffe
10. Mitsouko
11. No. 19 Poudre
12. No. 5 L’Eau
13. Shalimar Mexique

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I learned a few things from my February rotation especially about my all year round scents. Although Mon Geurlain EDP Intense and Tiare by Ormonde Jayne are scents that I can wear all year round, I've learnt that I don't want to wear these scents continuously month after month. I also don't like having Mon Guerlain EDP Intense and Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense in the same rotation, both are very long lasting scents so I would prefer to alternate them monthly so that is what I will do from April onwards. I'm now struggling to enjoy Bal d'Afrique by Byredo after the 2 hour mark so I'm packing it away out of sight for awhile and I've moved it into my samples list in my wardrobe.

Like kotori, I also had trouble narrowing down my rotation list this month. I seem to always struggle rotation-wise with the first month of the transitional seasons - March (autumn) and September (spring). I should be used to it be now but it always seems to catch me off guard!

All Year Round scents that I want to wear every month:
Eau Rose by Diptyque
Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A (bring this back to this category as I think that I want to wear this every month at least through to the end of winter - August)
Santal by Fragonard (I'm finding this scent is uplifting but calming at the same time - I'm fascinated by how it can be so energising but also help with calming any stress I may be feeling...)

Seasonal scents - autumn (scents I want to wear during all three months of autumn):
Ambre 114 by HdP
Bottega Veneta EDP
Daim Blond by Serge Lutens
Ginger Biscuit by Jo Malone

March rotation:
34 Boulevard St Germain EDT by Diptyque (wore this for the "kitchen sink" sync and enjoyed wearing it so much I had to include it in this rotation)
Coco EDT by Chanel (a cooler weather option)
Eau Duelle EDT by Diptyque (finally replenished this scent in February, a light and airy vanilla with soft spices and resins, it was always going to be in this rotation)
Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone (tend to wear this in autumn and winter - I've missed wearing this scent)
Opium EDT (love wearing this in early autumn but I don't wear it very often so I don't usually add this one to a rotation list)
Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone (love wearing this on it's own and wearing it in combination with Eau Rose)
Samsara EDT by Guerlain (not a rotation regular but wanted the jasmine and sandalwood combo this month)
Tubéreuse 1 Capricieuse by HdP (don't wear this scent over the summer months so it's time to start adding it to rotations again)

Total of 15 scents this month.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I also don't like having Mon Guerlain EDP Intense and Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense in the same rotation, both are very long lasting scents so I would prefer to alternate them monthly so that is what I will do from April onwards.

Yes- I do this with No. 19 Poudre and Infusion d’Iris. Also Traversee du Bosphore and Galop.

I'm now struggling to enjoy Bal d'Afrique by Byredo after the 2 hour mark so I'm packing it away out of sight for awhile and I've moved it into my samples list in my wardrobe.

I do this, too.

Like kotori, I also had trouble narrowing down my rotation list this month. I seem to always struggle rotation-wise with the first month of the transitional seasons - March (autumn) and September (spring). I should be used to it be now but it always seems to catch me off guard!

Yup. Transitions are hard here because the range of temps on a single day is huge. Maybe 50 degrees sometimes from morning until afternoon.

Santal by Fragonard (I'm finding this scent is uplifting but calming at the same time - I'm fascinated by how it can be so energising but also help with calming any stress I may be feeling...)

I was just telling my son this weekend that fragrance can be a mental health intervention for me.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Kotori, I can understand you alternating No. 19 Poudre and Infusion d’Iris. I actually didn't replenished my bottle of Infusion d’Iris because I already had a bottle of No. 19 Poudre in my wardrobe and felt they filled the same purpose for me. We get a wide range of temps here, too. Yes, fragrance can be much more than just fragrance to me, too.

Just noticed that the directory notes for Santal by Fragonard are very different to my newer version of Santal (bought late last year). Here's the notes that match my bottle of Santal from the Fragonard website:
Top notes green mandarin, cypress, lemon
Heart notes Australian sandalwood, myrtle, rosemary
Base notes cedarwood, musk

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
My February rotation was successful, but since it contained a whole ELdO sample box, I didn't find enough time and skin space to wear some of the scents more extensively, so some of my rotation scents only got 1 wear which was sad. I'm a little bit late to the party, but I was a bit too busy at the end of February and the first days of March to actually put up a new rotation display, and I also waited for my trade package to arrive, but here it is.

March Rotation:

1. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
2. Guerlain Shalimar EDP
3. Guerlain Shalimar Souffle Intense
4. Guerlain Samsara EDT
5. Givenchy Organza
6. Guerlain Insolence EDT
7. Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta (new!)
8. Le Couvent des Minimes Aqua Solis (new!)
9. D&G Pour femme (new!)
10. Molinard Habanita
11. Narciso Rodriguez Narciso Poudree
12. Gres Cabochard EDP
13. Comme des Garcons Incense: Avignon
14. Azzedine Alaia Alaia
15. Azzedine Alaia Alaia Nude
16. Lolita Lempicka Oh Ma Biche
17. Avon Today
18. Lush I'm Home
19, 20, 21. L'Artisan Parfumeur minis: Timbuktu, Al Oudh, L'eau d'Ambre Extreme
And some new samples, of course: Amouage Lyric Woman, Guerlain Apres L'Ondee and Eau du Coq, Vivienne Westwood Boudoir, Lancome La vie est belle, BDK Rouge Smoking, House of Oud Keep Glazed, M. Micallef Mon Parfum Pearl.
And any of the one-offs that I'll want to wear, of course, I'm finally okay with this and won't eat myself for wanting to stray a bit.

I am still working from home this month (and I actually suspect that I'll probably be summoned to be back at office full time next month, although I'm not sure), so again I am leaving some of my tried and true favourites out to focus more on these groups of scents:
1. The ones that I very rarely or almost never wear out in public to indulge in them more while at home (Shalimar, I'm Home, Insolence, Organza, Cabochard, Habanita)
2. The ones that are new or new-ish or less worn and I want to get to know them better or reevaluate (Bottega Veneta, Aqua Solis, D&G Pour femme, L'Artisans, Souffle Intense, Cabochard, Avignon..)
3. The ones that are my finish focuses to get through them quicker - and they are and they'll be on my rotation on most months until I finish them. (Alaia, Alaia Nude, Oh Ma Biche, Avon Today, D&G Pour femme, Rose Magnetic, I'm Home - my want to finish them off doesn't mean I don't like them though, I just want to size down a bit eventually)
4. The ones that were on my rotation the past month and didn't get enough love and I want to wear them this month, too, because I enjoy them (Shalimar, Shalimar Souffle, Samsara, Organza, Pamplelune, Al Oudh)

Also, of course, I was careful to have something citrusy, something light/uncomplicated/easy to wear, something oriental, something vanillic, something musky, something leathery, something sweet, something peculiar, something classic, something modern, something tried and true, a Shalimar, a Narciso Rodriguez, an Aqua Allegoria and something new to keep me content.

My rotation is still probably way too big though, but it's sooo hard to just pick a few for me.

Latest News