Your Perfume Projects in 2021/2022

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread for mini perfume projects or any major ones, too.

My current mini project is that I'm going through all my bottles and wearing each one. Sometimes, I'll be grouping similar scents together to compare.

I'm comparing my Narciso scents today. On paper Narciso Rouge EDP should be my favourite with it's rose, iris and tonka notes but it's my least favourite out of the three variations I own and Narciso Poudree should of been my least favourite due to the jasmine note but it's above Rouge in 2nd place. Narciso EDP is my top favourite but on paper I would of given it 2nd place. I will relegate Narciso Rouge to room spray status, I'm just not going to reach for it when I have so many other perfumes to wear.
So far I've compared Narciso scents, here's my post from SOTD. I also consider Narciso EDP as a spring/summer scent and Narciso Poudree is better in autumn/winter. The first time I tried the Poudree variation was in summer heat and the jasmine note amplified and overpowered the other notes.

Last edited:

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I've also compared my rose scents. They are listed in the order I compared them.

Eau Capitale by Diptyque (travel spray which was a gift) - a more modern take on the rose/patchouli with a chypre feel type scent. It seems to smell better as it ages/maturates, found it a bit average when I first got at Christmas time.

Une Folie de Rose by Rosine (on my 2nd bottle after being without for a few years) - my favourite rose chypre scent and one my husband always compliments me on when I wear it.

Raw Silk & Red Rose by 4160 Tuesdays (full bottle) - smells very different now, hasn't aged well in my climate conditions. My bottle is almost 6 years old. Most of the rose is missing as well as some other notes, it's mostly just geranium and musk now. Not keeping this scent, it has been removed from my perfume wardrobe.

Rose Flash by Tauerville (full bottle) - a few notes have changed in this one, it takes longer to settle into a pleasant aroma. The wonderful jammy rose notes is much less noticeable now, especially when first applied. It's at the used it or lose it stage. Probably won't keep this much longer.

Stella EDT by Stella McCartney (full small bottle) - a summery, fresh and modern rose with some underlining DNA from the original Stella. This is my newest rose scent, hoping to wear this lots during summer.

Eau Rose by Diptyque (2nd bottle) - my favourite all year round rose and top most worn scent. A full on rose with some supporting notes that come out in different weather conditions. I first bought this as a replacement for Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal when it wasn't available to purchase. Sometimes, simplicity done well is perfect.

Rose Ambre by Fragonard (full bottle) - rose and amber with a bit of a gourmand feel from a few other notes including almond that not too strong.

Valentino Donna by Valentino (full bottle) - At first, it's very sweet and fruity which I don't really like but it settles quickly into an rose/iris/leather scent that's sweet (but less sweet than the fruity start) with a makeup vibe. I had removed this scent from my wardrobe but it's back now as it does fill a gap in my wardrobe. This won't get a high number of wears per year but it does satisfy the occasional craving I have for a super full on makeup aroma but with a leather twist to it.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Musk scent comparisons, listed in the order I compared them.

Fleur de Peau by Diptyque (still using a travel spray but I have a full bottle of this waiting in the wings) - an iris/rose and warm musk scent where the iris is slightly more noticeable than the rose.

Le Cri by Parfum d'Empire (full bottle) - a rose/iris musk where the rose is more noticeable then the iris and a small amount of aldehydes gives the whole fragrance sparkling lift.

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain (on my 2nd bottle and have a few backups of the original style bottle) - a powdery, almond blossom (floral) musk. It's powdery but not full on powder and the musk reminds me of musk sticks (type of candy that's available in Australia). A bedtime favourite, although, I do wear it during the day as well.

NR for Her by Narciso Rodriguez (full bottle) - the strongest musk scent I own. Orange blossom and Egyptian musk. I have to be in a certain mood to wear this but when I do, I really enjoy it. I have owned similar scents in the past - Lovely by SJP and Gucci by Gucci EDP.

White Tea by Elizabeth Arden (full bottle) - subtle white tea note with white fern and mate on a musk and ambrette seed base. The overall smell is white but the musk is different to straight up white musk. Nothing challenging with this scent but the white fern and mate notes makes it a bit interesting. Excellent scent in extreme dry heat conditions. Citrus notes don't smell good on me in the summer so this is a very good alternative. I did take this out of my wardrobe for awhile but wore it recently and my husband asked for it to be added back in, says it's totally different to my other scents.

Fleur de Peau and Le Cri could be classed as rose scents but I think primarily, they are both musk scents.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
On to sandalwood scents, hope I haven't done too many posts in a row!

Sandalwood Body Splash by Mount Romance (full bottle) - based around Australian sandalwood, a little sweet, a little creamy and there's a hint of floral. Different aroma to my other sandalwood scents. This used to receive lots of compliments from people before covid happened!

Santal by Fragonard (full bottle) - a very calming sandalwood, great for relieving stress. Top notes green mandarin, cypress, lemon Heart notes Australian sandalwood, myrtle, rosemary Base notes cedarwood, musk.

Samsara EDT by Guerlain (full bottle - original bottle design) - this is just as much about jasmine as sandalwood. The sandalwood note is beautiful but I sometimes struggle with the jasmine note as my skin tends to amplify it especially in the heat.

Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone (full small bottle) - the combo of iris/orris and violet reminds me of scented lipsticks with sandalwood and a woody amber note.

Santal Spirit by Mount Romance (full bottle) - Uses Quintis Sandalwood Album with some spice, coco milk, tonka bean, vanilla and a strong frankincense note. There is a hint of sea breeze, too! This fragrance is created by Bertrand Duchaufour. Very unique scent combination.

All caught up now. Today, I'm comparing a couple of vanilla scents. Will post about them a bit later on.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
The vanilla scents, three full bottles and one sample. All my vanilla scents are very different from each other.

Vanille by Fragonard (full bottle) - along the lines of vanilla essence but with some other supporting notes, subtle hints of rose and chocolate. Top notes: citrus, almond Heart notes: ylang ylang, rose, benzoin Base note: chocolate, vanilla. This is my newest vanilla scent.

Eau Duelle EDT (full bottle) - more than just vanilla, there's some light spices and green woods which gives this scent a coolness and airiness to it. Bonus, it's very wearable in summer (dry heat not sure about humid heat). I've owned the EDP version in the past and find that one heavier on the vanilla. The coolness of green woods seem to be missing as well. Overall, it's a thicker, more dense scent.

Mrs Gloss & The Goss: Rhubarb & Custard by 4160 Tuesdays (Sample) - Really liked the rhubarb, blackcurrant and lemon opening but then within minutes, a strong hay note appeared with vanilla. I didn't like it all combined together, I felt the hay note just didn't go with the rhubarb and other fruit notes.

Ginger Biscuit by Jo Malone (full bottle) - I think of this one as a ginger and vanilla scent, I wear this one a lot in the lead up to Xmas and in Autumn. It will be in my November rotation. This scent has changed a bit in the last year as well. The climate here seems to be harsh on vanilla notes, tonka bean does better long term here but for this scent I'm enjoying the focus being more on the ginger note and a bit less on the vanilla side of things. It's definitely a ginger biscuit aroma and not a gingerbread one. Notes: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, caramel, hazelnut, tonka bean and vanilla.

I'll be moving these three bottles to the fridge when the hot weather gets here, hope it will help to keep the vanilla notes smelling good for longer. Power outages in 45C heat isn't good!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I picked No.19 Poudre as my Friday sync scent so I'm comparing my green scents today. They are all different types of green!

No.19 Poudre by Chanel - a powdery, green iris musk. It's different to No.19, I find this more similar to Infusion d'Iris by Prada. Infusion d'Iris is more citrus up top where as Poudre is more green. It's a smooth and refined scent that is very easy to wear and it's an all year around scent for me.

Corsica Furiosa by Parfum d'Empire - this is my "out in the wild" green scent. It's green, earthy, mossy with a touch of natural sweetness and leather. I've read that some people get a tomato leaf note but I don't smell any tomato leaf in this scent. A very well balanced scent and totally different from my other two green scents.

Tiare by Ormonde Jayne - a green, citrus/floral modern chypre. It's kind of like having two fragrances in one for me - in cold weather, there is a perfect balance between the citrus and floral notes which I love and in warm/hot weather the floral takes a backseat to allow the citrus notes to fully take over. It's closer to Iskander by Parfum d'Empire in the summer, minus the the herbs. Of course, the base notes of vetiver, patchouli and moss are always present regardless of the season.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Not sure if this is good or not but while wearing and comparing all my scents, I've realised I'm missing a few scents in my wardrobe. On Saturday, I had a perfume craving to wear the last of my sample of Chai by Baruti. Who knew, that sometimes, I want to smell like spicy chai tea, I certainly didn't know this until I got a sample of Chai as part of the Baruti discovery set. I ordered a full bottle on Saturday morning while wearing the last of the sample!

Since I was ordering perfume, I thought I should check out another Australian online perfume shop and discovered that Gardenia Petale by VC&A was back in stock so in the afternoon, I applied some of my travel spray and within an hour or two I was back on the perfume shop website. And, because I was already on the VC&A perfume page, I noticed that Orchidee Vanille was on special so I bought that, too! When, I was comparing vanilla scents the other day, I noticed that I missed having Orchidee Vanille in my wardrobe. It has a lovely mandarin note in it and the overall scent isn't super heavy, it's actually light and airy on me so I can wear it in summer. I love citrus notes but most citrus heavy scents smell awful on me during the summer (except for Tiare by Ormonde Jayne but it is not super heavy on the citrus). Of course, on the extreme heat days, vanilla scents are a no-go! Annnnd, while I was there, I also check out the Guerlain page. I occasionally miss having a Shalimar fragrance in my wardrobe but didn't really want any of the heavier Shalimar fragrances so I was looking at the lighter flankers and found Shalimar Cologne so yes, you guessed it, I added that as a blind buy (I haven't bought a blind buy in a long time and it was a good price). I have my fingers and toes crossed that I will like it! I may not buy fragrances that often but when I do fall down the buying rabbit hole I don't do things in halves, I full-on sky dive down that rabbit hole!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I only have two oriental scents, Coco EDT by Chanel and Opium EDT by YSL.

Coco EDT by Chanel (on my 3rd or 4th bottle) - has both floral and spicy notes. It is two types of oriental in one for me (floriental and spicy oriental). My earlier bottles were the EDP version but I don't like the current EDP so I have the current EDT which is more closer to the older EDP than the current EDP.

Opium EDT by YSL (2nd full bottle) - this is a full on spicy oriental with some added incense notes. Although, there are floral notes listed in this fragrance, I don't really notice them much when I'm wearing Opium. I have the EDT from the early 2000"s.

Today, I'm wearing both the original Bottega Veneta and Daim Blond by Serge Lutens which some people think are similar..... I don't find them that similar when compare side by side.

Bottega Veneta (full bottle) - the floral notes gives a very pretty and feminine touch to the base notes of leather, patchouli and oakmoss. Love it - might buy a back up of this scent.

Daim Blond (full bottle and one back up) - a blend of hawthorn, apricot, iris and a suede like leather with a touch of warmth from cardamom and musk. The hawthorn and apricot make this scent different from Bottega Veneta. There is also no musk in Bottega Veneta.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Today, I'm wearing and comparing Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A and Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Femme. There are several notes the same in both fragrances but wearing them side by side, I think they are different from each other. Which is a very good thing as I want them both in my wardrobe.:)

Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A (full bottle and I also have a back up bottle) - a rose, iris, leather and patchouli scent that's a bit powdery, too. I'm thinking it is the iris and cocoa notes that gives this scent it's powdery aroma. On a perfect wearing day the cocoa and a fruity note are easily noticeable as well. This is currently my 2nd most worn scent.

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Femme by Gucci (full bottle and I also have a back up bottle) - a berries and cypress on a background of rose, leather and patchouli scent. There's an underlining clearness to this scent, no powder at all. This is a fairly new scent to my perfume wardrobe so it doesn't have a lot of wears yet but I'm looking forward to wearing this in the lead up to Christmas. Christmas is in summer here in Australia so I think because it will be berry season that the berries and cypress notes will make GGA pour Femme a good "Christmas in Australia" scent. My other "Christmas in Australia" scent is 34 Boulevard St Germain EDT by Diptyque which I haven't worn yet as part of my perfume project.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Also taking the opportunity to thank you for this wonderful report.
So many great classics featured that are worthy to be (re) discovered not just within several wardrobes, but also various bigger and smaller-both personal and more BN sync style- fragrance projects.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
CuddleCat, you’ve done a ton of work to systematically group and examine all those perfumes. Congrats on a great job, as we near the end of 2021, from the thread title the halfway point.

Of the scents mentioned a couple I like a lot are L’Instant Magique and Orris & Sandalwoid. Elizabeth Arden white Tea sounds different and appealing. I have (but don’t currently wear) EA Blue Grass. The floral blend is nice but the quality is rather harsh. How would you rate the quality of White Tea?

My only project is to continue to hone in on a restrained nucleus of favourites I love and to wear them a lot. But even as some perfumes may fall away, no longer being worn or needed, there is always the possibility of discovering a new favourite to add to the developing group.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I've been working on a project to assign shirts to my favorite perfumes.
IMG_7277.PNG
Trying to get organized.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I have several hundred samples I'm trying at rate of 1 per day and documenting in the Sample of the Day thread, which should easily take me through the end of 2022. My evenings will be devoted to bottles; mostly revisiting, but some will be new.

Also, at some point, I plan to enter into the directory all the fragrances I have that aren't there already.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Elizabeth Arden white Tea sounds different and appealing. I have (but don’t currently wear) EA Blue Grass. The floral blend is nice but the quality is rather harsh. How would you rate the quality of White Tea?
There was a little harshness when my bottle was new, it wasn't noticeable during the warmer months but I did notice it a bit during that first winter I owned it. It was one of the reasons I took it out of my wardrobe and packed it away for two years before adding it back into my current perfume wardrobe. It has improved with age, I haven't picked up any harshness since starting to wear it again and it has been a cold spring here (3 wearings so far). I do think it's excellent value for money, I got it for about $20AUD. It works really well with my skin, it amps up the ambrette seed note which warms up the musk note a bit and as I mentioned above I get a noticeable white fern and mate accord and there's a light freshness which may be from the sea breeze accord (what ever that is). Don't expect a strong white tea note, it's very subtle and there is only a hint of rose, too. I'm not sure I would like it as much if I didn't smell the ambrette seed note and to a slightly lesser degree the white fern or mate - think it would smell a bit boring and average without these notes. Not sure, if your summer heat is dry or humid but I can totally recommend it for extreme dry heat conditions.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
There was a little harshness when my bottle was new, it wasn't noticeable during the warmer months but I did notice it a bit during that first winter I owned it. It was one of the reasons I took it out of my wardrobe and packed it away for two years before adding it back into my current perfume wardrobe. It has improved with age, I haven't picked up any harshness since starting to wear it again and it has been a cold spring here (3 wearings so far). I do think it's excellent value for money, I got it for about $20AUD. It works really well with my skin, it amps up the ambrette seed note which warms up the musk note a bit and as I mentioned above I get a noticeable white fern and mate accord and there's a light freshness which may be from the sea breeze accord (what ever that is). Don't expect a strong white tea note, it's very subtle and there is only a hint of rose, too. I'm not sure I would like it as much if I didn't smell the ambrette seed note and to a slightly lesser degree the white fern or mate - think it would smell a bit boring and average without these notes. Not sure, if your summer heat is dry or humid but I can totally recommend it for extreme dry heat conditions.

Thanks for the detailed description, CuddleCat. No aspect of White Tea has escaped your nose! It's the ambrette note that interests me too, a note I like very much wearing. I've never heard of white fern. Is it like a fougère note?

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
The last two scents I wore on Tuesday were:

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire (full bottle) - I haven't own this very long so I don't know this, as much, as some of my other scents but it's a wonderful combination of iris and leather. I really enjoyed wearing this during the winter months this year.

Patchouli by Fragonard (full bottle) - A spicy patchouli scent with ginger, caraway and some tonka bean. There's nothing challenging in this scent, it's just very enjoyable and easy to wear.

Yesterday, I started with one of my favourite winter scents as I wanted to get its wearing in before the weather starts heating up.

Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone (full bottle) - The myrrh is just so warming on cold windy days and smells beautiful with the tonka bean and other supporting notes. I get a lot of "you smell so good" comments and not the usual "your scent/perfume smells good" comments with Myrrh & Tonka. I seem to either really love or really dislike Jo Malone scents, although, I dislike more than I love. But out of the four bottles I own, three of them are in my top favourites and the other one isn't that far behind. They aren't super complex scents but they all connect with my emotions which is what I love most about wearing fragrance.

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens (full bottle) - This is a very interesting scent. I keep removing this from my wardrobe and then after a few months I put it back in. It's not beautiful and I never know which notes are going to be noticeable with each wearing but my nose finds it oh so interesting to smell! Sometimes, the cocoa note is super dusty and at other times, it's more like a straight chocolate note. Sometimes, I hardly get any rose and at other times, I get a sweet rose syrup note mixed with chocolate. Sometimes, I get a strong sandalwood note but at other times, it's more a general woody aroma. Some wearings, I love it and some wearings, I think why do I keep wearing this, I'm not enjoying this scent today!

Later that day, I compared two LPRN scents.

LPRN Eau Fraiche by Guerlain (full bottle) - this is the fragrance that I want to love but no matter how many times I try it, it's just not for me. The older my bottle gets the more freesia I get when wearing this scent. I'd love this if there was no strong freesia note in it. All the other notes I love but unfortunately, the freesia note ruins this scent for me.

LPRN Black Perfecto EDP (full bottle) - this is my favourite LPRN scent. I used to wear this a lot in combination with the LPRN EDP (2012 version) but I've recently removed it from my wardrobe, it's just too sweet for me nowadays! Black Perfecto EDP is dark and there's only a hint of sweetness. The black tea and bitter almond work well together in the top notes and I love the darker rose and musk notes combined with the leather and patchouli. I only get a hint of cherry and licorice and thankfully no burnt sugar. This is the only LPRN scent that has remained in my perfume wardrobe!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks for the detailed description, CuddleCat. No aspect of White Tea has escaped your nose! It's the ambrette note that interests me too, a note I like very much wearing. I've never heard of white fern. Is it like a fougère note?
I'm not sure about the white part but it reminds me of the bushland near where I live that has a lot of tree ferns and other type ferns. Another note that is listed in White Tea is clary sage so I may be smelling a combined aroma of fern, clary sage and mate. I recognise the fern and mate in the fragrance but not the clary sage. Never thought of it being a fougère note but it does smell fern like with a bit of herbal but there's no lavender which is the herb I tend to associate with a fougère fragrance. Roadster by Cartier is a fragrance that I think of as a modern fougère with an additional very interesting mint note. I haven't tried many fougère fragrances though so I might be wrong in thinking that lavender is an important part of what makes a fragrance a fougère.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
@FiveoaksBouquet - I've currently got White Tea on one arm and my husband's Roadster on the other arm and I get a fern like note in both scents. Although, the rest of the other notes in each fragrance make them both very different scents. So if a fougère note is just a fern like note then yes, I'd call it a fougère note. The fern note in White Tea comes across as a bit lighter/airier so that might be why they call it white fern instead of just fern and I love it combined with the warm musky ambrette. The fern/ambrette combo is quite unusual. My husband asked for WT to be added back into my perfume rotations because it was different to all my other scents and I have to agree with him! Hope you get the chance to try it and that you also smell the combined aroma of fern, mate and that wonderful ambrette seed note like I do.:)

As a side note - I should sneak some wears of my husband's Roadster by Cartier more often, it smells so good. Not that I'd have to really sneak spritzes, he'd be fine with me wearing/sharing it!

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Santal by Fragonard (full bottle) - a very calming sandalwood, great for relieving stress. Top notes green mandarin, cypress, lemon Heart notes Australian sandalwood, myrtle, rosemary Base notes cedarwood, musk.
Vanille by Fragonard (full bottle) - along the lines of vanilla essence but with some other supporting notes, subtle hints of rose and chocolate. Top notes: citrus, almond Heart notes: ylang ylang, rose, benzoin Base note: chocolate, vanilla. This is my newest vanilla scent.
Rose Ambre by Fragonard (full bottle) - rose and amber with a bit of a gourmand feel from a few other notes including almond that not too strong.
Patchouli by Fragonard (full bottle) - A spicy patchouli scent with ginger, caraway and some tonka bean. There's nothing challenging in this scent, it's just very enjoyable and easy to wear.

I'm curious to try the Fragonards, especially Santal and Patchouli.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Yes, Fragonard is intriguing to me, too!
Luckily I accidentally found a store that sells them and has testers out, so I tried a few... they didn't have Santal unfortunately.
I tried several until I ran out of open skin space:

(beware: I'm VERY subjective here and impressions are very brief since I was testing too many at once to get all the nuances well, quantity over quality, you know)
Soleil - The bottle is beyond gorgeous. The scent is not for me. Way too floral, too classical, too mature, too stuffy and perfumey for me. I'm sure it's a great scent for the right person, that means a vintage floral lover which I am not.

Coeur de Soleil - Now this is a more modern take, it's a demure and very feminine floral. Reminds me of something I cannot pinpoint. Too floral for me.

Lune de miel - Practically a dupe for Hypnotic Poison, and a good one, no matter that official notes do not match at all. Just only a tiny bit quieter and much more affordable.

Vanille - (not in directory; the one in directory, Fleur de vanille, is discontinued and a different scent) - A lovely sweet vanilla, reminds me of Orchidee Vanille by Van Cleef and Arpels a little bit just not as rich. Very nice. The sweeter, confectionery kind. A bit simplistic but not in a bad way at all. The more it dries down the better it gets. Seems like a wonderful cozy and casual scent. I kinda want it for myself. :D

Santal Cardamome - Smells a bit like something that could come from Comme de Garcons - I mean it in a good way. Nice and interesting, not too interesting. Not loud but seems to stay well. Cardamom is very perceivable.

Encens Feve Tonka - Very nice, I like it. Clove is quite noticeable at first, then quietens. Lightly incensy in the drydown. Less strong than Santal Cardamome.

I liked Vanille and the last two but maybe not enough to buy. I probably would if I didn't have many scents already as they all seem really good for the price.

Will try more next time I visit that store.

(Edit: if you think this post is irrelevant here and should be more fitting in October Sampling, feel free to move it)

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
@FiveoaksBouquet - I've currently got White Tea on one arm and my husband's Roadster on the other arm and I get a fern like note in both scents. Although, the rest of the other notes in each fragrance make them both very different scents. So if a fougère note is just a fern like note then yes, I'd call it a fougère note. The fern note in White Tea comes across as a bit lighter/airier so that might be why they call it white fern instead of just fern and I love it combined with the warm musky ambrette. The fern/ambrette combo is quite unusual. My husband asked for WT to be added back into my perfume rotations because it was different to all my other scents and I have to agree with him! Hope you get the chance to try it and that you also smell the combined aroma of fern, mate and that wonderful ambrette seed note like I do.:)

As a side note - I should sneak some wears of my husband's Roadster by Cartier more often, it smells so good. Not that I'd have to really sneak spritzes, he'd be fine with me wearing/sharing it!

CC, you make White Tea sound very tempting. It’s on my sniff list. Re Roadster, although I did not buy it, I liked it a lot.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Wonderful first impressions report, @ClockworkAlice! The older Fragonard classics aren't really for me either and their Pouches Collection seem to be based on other perfumes - J'Adore, Angel, Hypnotic Poison, Shalimar, etc. My favourite collections are the Woods, Garden and Vanille is part of their Florals range.

My bottle of Orchidee Vanille by VC&A has arrived so today, I'm going to compare it with Vanille by Fragonard. Do you get a strong mandarin note in OV, I think that's the main difference between the two scents.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Catching up on what I wore yesterday.

Stash by SJP (full bottle) - this is another scent that's very good value for money. What I like the most about this scent is that the notes are so well blended that you really have to focus and concentrate to pick out any of the individual notes. It's woody, spicy, has a bit of incense and there is a touch of something milky in there for a short time, too.

L'Agent by Agent Provocateur (full bottle) - it's a dark floral with labdanum, incense and patchouli as the base standout notes. There's an underlining clearness to this scent so it works well in dry heat weather conditions. I've owned this for what seems a long time, a lot of change has happened to my perfume wardrobe since I first started wearing this scent, more perfumes have been added that I want to wear more than this one. The only time I wear it now is for a Friday sync or if I see it sitting there and feel guilty for not wearing it so I spritz some on. So, it's time to remove L'Agent from my current wardrobe.

Now, on to today's scents.

Orchidee Vanille by VC&A (2nd bottle - although, I didn't totally finish all of my first bottle) - this scent opens with a burst of mandarin, almond and chocolate, I love the combined aroma these three notes create then the vanilla and a couple of other supporting notes show up. Not a heavy or rich vanilla on me, it's light and airy in texture. I'm so happy that the mandarin note sticks around for several hours. A wonderful citrus vanilla scent! So glad to have this back in my wardrobe! And, another scent that will have it's home in the fridge during summer.

This is what I said in post 5 of this thread about Vanille:
Today, the vanilla note still reminds me of vanilla essence but I'm getting quite a strong benzoin note which I didn't really notice the other day and the rose and chocolate are a bit more noticeable this wearing, too. I still don't get any citrus note although it is mentioned as one of the top notes. If I did get some citrus, it would be more closer to Orchidee Vanille in aroma. The weather is much warmer here today - currently 24C. Compared to my other vanilla scents, it's a bit more textural, more like a cosy blanket than summery, light and airy. Perfect bedtime or stay at home, curled up watching a movie or reading a book type scent. More of an autumn and winter scent then summer.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Who gets the coveted slot of being paired with the mariniere shirt?
For this project, I've been looking at long-sleeve button-ups with button-down collars. Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche might be a typical fragrance for the mariniere shirt - it is paired with a soft white oxford for this project.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
This is a great thread! My current project (interrupted and stalled by the site update) is getting all my scents into the database. Need to get back on that.
Second project is to reorganize my perfume closet as things are too crowded and I can’t find stuff easily. I’m deliberating about buying a new cabinet for the bedroom so I can view my prettier bottles, especially my Guerlain bee bottles.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I love reading about other member's perfume projects.

@Bavard, are you taking the opportunity to purchase some new shirts for this shirt/perfume pairing project?

Here's my iris scent impressions/comparisons post.

Iris de Nuit by Heeley (full bottle) - I find this scent to be just as much about violet as iris. It is a lovely combination but this perfume doesn't move me emotionally as much as my other iris scents do.... Another iris scent I've had samples of that doesn't touch me emotionally is Iris Poudre by Frederic Malle. I think that it's a nice aroma but I feel absolutely nothing - it feels so weird to smell a perfume and not feel any emotion!

Pourpre d'Automne by Violet (sample) - I got this sample with my recent Chai by Baruti purchase and I really love this perfume, all it took was one first sniff! I have been looking for my perfect lipstick scent which for me is a perfect blend of iris, violet and rose - Pourpre d'Automne is that perfume. Most lipstick themed fragrances come across as too "in my face loud" and most are too sweet. This scent is a constant "delicate whisper" of aroma with just enough sillage for me to get lovely wafts of scent throughout the wearing. But, what made me find instant love was it's not just a lipstick scent there's a wonderful warmness to this iris scent with the hints of plum and the earthy moss. This scent evolves and transitions throughout the wearing. I'll be ordering a full bottle later today!

Nuée Bleue by Violet (sample) - This is the other Violet perfume I got to try, the other Violet fragrances didn't really pip my interest. I need to retry this scent as I did like it but it was overshadowed by my reaction to Pd'A. My first impressions are that the citrus top notes make this a happier type of iris fragrance. I find most iris scents to be reflective, calming and peaceful but Nuée Bleue has a lighter and brighter feel to it.

I also own two other scents that have a lot of iris in them but I felt they were better suited in other comparisons - No.19 Poudre (green scents) and Orris & Sandalwood (sandalwood scents).

I don't think I need to keep Iris d'Nuit in my main perfume wardrobe anymore but I will hold on to my bottle for the rare occasions that I may want to re-sniff it. Earlier, upthread, I said that I was adding Valentino Donna back into my perfume wardrobe but with the discovery of Pourpre d'Automne, I have definitely changed my mind, it's no longer required to fill the "lipstick" gap in my perfume wardrobe.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Pourpre d'Automne by Violet (sample) - I got this sample with my recent Chai by Baruti purchase and I really love this perfume, all it took was one first sniff! I have been looking for my perfect lipstick scent which for me is a perfect blend of iris, violet and rose - Pourpre d'Automne is that perfume. Most lipstick themed fragrances come across as too "in my face loud" and most are too sweet. This scent is a constant "delicate whisper" of aroma with just enough sillage for me to get lovely wafts of scent throughout the wearing. But, what made me find instant love was it's not just a lipstick scent there's a wonderful warmness to this iris scent with the hints of plum and the earthy moss. This scent evolves and transitions throughout the wearing. I'll be ordering a full bottle later today!

Nuée Bleue by Violet (sample) - This is the other Violet perfume I got to try, the other Violet fragrances didn't really pip my interest. I need to retry this scent as I did like it but it was overshadowed by my reaction to Pd'A. My first impressions are that the citrus top notes make this a happier type of iris fragrance. I find most iris scents to be reflective, calming and peaceful but Nuée Bleue has a lighter and brighter feel to it.

I recently tried Pourpre d’Automne, and my wife and I were both impressed. We decided it was more her than me, and now that she’s also worn the sample, she’s intent on getting a bottle.

Nuée Bleue came in with my latest batch of samples, so we’ll soon see how that fares in these parts.

Factoring in one or two others I’ve tried, I’d say the resurrected Maison Violet is a promising house.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I love reading about other member's perfume projects.

@Bavard, are you taking the opportunity to purchase some new shirts for this shirt/perfume pairing project?
I have been ordering shirts to try to make it happen. Here are a couple pairings I’m planning to test, both with new shirts.

Patou Pour Homme with a blue-gray shirt.
EC89C6B0-6CE9-40C6-9927-31E1A2059EB5.jpeg

Bel Ami with a red plaid shirt.
F814FC75-CE4D-4D64-92BE-8083AAA8163C.jpeg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I have a few unrelated and slightly conflicting mini-projects right now:

1. to try out all the samples that I've accumulated so far (going quite well, especially because I'm working from home right now, so I can smell however I wish)
2. to write reviews of all the scents that I do have and wear often and of scents that I've tried so that I would not forget what I thought about them (not doing any of that right now. I got lazy)
3. to get ALL the perfumes in my wardrobe to 10 wears at least so that I would know them all quite well; it's actually harder than it seems because I've accumulated quite a lot of new scents during pandemic - some are bought, some are swapped, some are gifted. It might mean over 120 wears by now - and I know I'll want to wear my old and beloved stuff, too! (I must think twice before getting anything else, really). The fact that I'm working from home helps, so I can sample in the morning and wear whatever I wish in the evening, so I'm just overindulging myself with scents every damn day while I can.

Edit:
Oh, I forgot no. 4 - I actually want to finish more bottles, especially of fragrances that I like enough to keep using but don't love enough to replace after finishing. Of course it primarily involves bottles, travel sprays and minis that are already heavily used and that makes all these four projects so conflicting! :D

Last edited:

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Testing Fleur Cachée by Anatole Lebreton has kind of thrown a spanner in the works where my perfume wardrobe is concerned, it prompted another vanilla comparsion day. The end result is that I'm removing Ginger Biscuit by Jo Malone from my wardrobe, I've got just over half a bottle left so will happily use the rest as a Christmas and Autumn room spray. Not feeling guilty about this decision as I've got over 90 wears recorded for this perfume and I've enjoyed it for several years, I've just found other perfumes that I love more and having 5 vanilla perfumes is just too much for me!

I've posted about my other vanilla scents, here's my impressions on Fleur Cachée: Oh that fenugreek note, I love it, especially when combined with an unusual pepper note (timut pepper) and tumeric. When you add in the non sweet smoky vanilla note that is not rich or buttery, it creates a perfume that becomes more addictive with each wearing. A very different vanilla - a spicy, herbal, smoky vanilla scent!

My top two vanillas' are Eau Duelle EDT with light spices and green woods (no buttery vanilla here, either) and Fleur Cachée with that wonderful fenugreek note. Next, would be Orchidee Vanille by VC&A which is sweet but the mandarin note stops it from becoming too sweet and lastly, Vanille by Fragonard which is my cosy blanket type vanilla and the most suited for cold weather.

In the new year, I will start looking for a new ginger perfume, I need at least one in my wardrobe!

What started as a simple perfume project to wear each of my perfumes has turned into sooo much more, my perfume wardrobe could have a totally new look by the time I'm finished!

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I have a couple more shirt-and-perfume parings I'm trying:
Antaeus with Light Gray Shirt.jpg
Antaeus with a Light Gray Shirt

Antaeus Sport with Pink Shirt.jpg
Antaeus Sport with a Pink Shirt

This latter pairing is inspired in part by the Italian daily sports paper, La Gazzeta dello Sport (https://www.gazzetta.it/):
gazzetta.jpg

The project has mostly been rewarding. The only pairing from the first six that isn't quite working for me is Patou Pour Homme with the dark blue-gray shirt. I let Julie Bear have input on that one, and I'm still trying to get used to it.

The other five have been amazing.

Latest News