Your most inadvertently used up fragrances as of now?

The_Cologneist

Basenotes Institution
Feb 27, 2010
As I was doing some organizing, I noticed that I have a few fragrances that have gone down significantly in volume and I haven’t even realized it. I guess you can kind of called them dumb reach fragrances that are running low because you don’t realize how often you wear them, or don’t plan on wearing them.

Clinique Happy
Acqua di Gio
J del Pozo On El
Curve
Givenchy Greenergy
Givenchy Pi
Lacoste Essential
Lacoste L.12.12 Rogue
Montblanc Explorer

These are my most inadvertently used.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
Bleu de Chanel edt.

Years ago I bought the twist and spray set - 3 small bottles (0.7oz each) which are inserted into a clever twist and spray housing (great design, voluminous sprayer). Last week I realized 1.5 of those bottles have been used which surprised me as I’m not in the overspray club and rarely wear the same scent on consecutive days. That sprayer does pump out a nice full mist and BdC has been my most worn fragrance over the years due to its versatility but I was still surprised to see how much I had used. BdC has recently been supplanted by DH 2020 as the most-worn dumb reach so past consumption rate may wane but it’s been good to me over the years.

DoctorM81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
Bleu de Chanel edt.

Years ago I bought the twist and spray set - 3 small bottles (0.7oz each) which are inserted into a clever twist and spray housing (great design, voluminous sprayer). Last week I realized 1.5 of those bottles have been used which surprised me as I’m not in the overspray club and rarely wear the same scent on consecutive days. That sprayer does pump out a nice full mist and BdC has been my most worn fragrance over the years due to its versatility but I was still surprised to see how much I had used.

I had the Allure Homme Sport version of this quite a number of years ago. Pretty sure I used it up & it's gone now. Agree it was a great design, and good value too.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Few to none so far.
But mostly due to either being extremely unlearned/inexperienced at noticing this and/or too frequently in contact with most fragrances owned (including visualizing their actual recent fill levels) to really identify any dramatically inadvertent change.

Effortless

Basenotes Member
Jan 11, 2022
I guess you can kind of called them dumb reach fragrances that are running low because you don’t realize how often you wear them

And for some reason it's always exactly that one bottle you don't have a backup of haha.

For me it's Franck Olivier Blue Touch without a doubt. Used as a (much better than current formulation) ADG alternative. Not entirely surprising, as it really is my dumbest of dumb reaches. Slapping it on whenever I can't form coherent thoughts, which tends to happen often in summer.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
I had the Allure Homme Sport version of this quite a number of years ago. Pretty sure I used it up & it's gone now. Agree it was a great design, and good value too.
Funny you mention AHS. I also have it in that same twist and spray but haven’t used nearly as much of it as BdC. AHS never quite worked out for me as a dumb reach type of scent. Wouldn’t say I dislike it but I just don’t reach for it too often. Glad you enjoyed it (and got good use out of that well designed sprayer).

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Hermes Rose Ikebana which is my SOTD. I just finished off my 15ml travel spray a couple days ago and my full bottle has a decent dent in it considering I just got it last summer.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
Banana Republic Metal Rain

this is in regular rotation. At first I was thinking this is just a Creed Silver Mountain Water clone. It's more like a hybrid of MI and SMW, with something extra. I just noticed something that reminded me of Fahrenheit that makes it extra special. It must be a violet leaf note.

Only bad thing is that it projects for like 2 hours and then becomes a skin scent. : (

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit Cologne have become almost go-to scents after I take a shower at night, not too long before going to bed.
That means I'm only getting an hour of so's "wear" from the scent, as I'm asleep for most of its duration!

Saying that, I tend to not bother spraying anything after taking it. I'd often be wearing 2-3 different scents in a given day - now, whatever I wear for the day becomes the sole fragrance that I wear that day.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I spray lightly and rotate my wears significantly, so it's rare one will dip down too much more than the others... but somehow I've put a major dent in Cacharel pour l'Homme! I should probably get a backup.

Foxsbiscuits

Oct 8, 2003
Ideal Cologne. It smells good and I repeatedly reached for it last summer creating a decent dent in the bottle. I hadn't planned to, I thought it was quite a boring composition, but the bottle doesn't lie and now I have a backup. A super inoffensive easy wear, not my usual style but sometimes a "plain t-shirt" is what I want.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Creed Neroli Sauvage— chipping my way through a 4oz bottle. I’ve gone through a couple of 1oz travel bottles, too. Love it to pieces, maybe the most versatile fragrance in my entire collection. It’s on the light EdC side, frequent reapplication happily encouraged.

Also whipping through a bottle of Guerlain Apres L’Ondee. I should spring for a backup bottle immediately, while it’s still available, affordable, and in superb formulation.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
Acqua di Gio
I've put quite a dent in the travel sprayer. It's legendary and I have fond memories of smelling it in the air in the early 2000s. But I only bought it fairly recently because I wanted an inoffensive work fragrance. Either because of reformulation or my skin chemistry, but I not enjoying the drydown, and haven't for some time now.

Maybe I'll try out 360 Red.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
For me, the ones that have recently crept up on me are Azzaro PH and YSL M7 Oud Absolu. And I don’t want to be without either of them.

Other than those, the bottles I tend to use most quickly are Aramis, Giorgio Beverly Hills, and DHI.

Effortless

Basenotes Member
Jan 11, 2022
Acqua di Gio
I've put quite a dent in the travel sprayer. It's legendary and I have fond memories of smelling it in the air in the early 2000s. But I only bought it fairly recently because I wanted an inoffensive work fragrance. Either because of reformulation or my skin chemistry, but I not enjoying the drydown, and haven't for some time now.

Try Blue Touch, dirt cheap and a much better drydown than the abomination that is current ADG.
Not to mention it actually has some projection in the beginning.

Black Cloud

Basenotes Member
Oct 22, 2017
When people are surprised how much fragrance seems to have been used from a bottle, perhaps in some cases the cause is actually evaporation?
Not sure if it's happened to any of mine, but some people say that certain fragrances can experience a degree of evaporation once a bottle's been opened.

Goliath

Basenotes Member
Apr 29, 2014
Acqua di Gio

It’s funny you mention this, this is what actually led me to Basenotes years ago. I was searching for AdG alternatives and the Basenotes forums popped up, and I joined as a result. I ended up going with 360 Red and have enjoyed it ever since, mostly due to the cinnamon note and I get great longevity with it.

bbfan

Basenotes Junkie
May 24, 2013
I previously mentioned Bleu de Chanel edt but maybe I should have said Guerlain Homme L’Eau Boisee which was more inadvertent than BdC. I’ve owned Boisee for 6-7 years less than BdC and I was surprised to notice my bottle is now at 50%. C4ADB2C3-3240-4218-872D-5BF9D3EB4982.jpeg

Latest News