Your HBIC Fragrance

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Vintage No. 19 EDT, liberally applied, is my go-to scent for demanding days. It’s tough but subtle.

Absolutely. And the EDT is the only way to go. Parfum and EDP are too "lovely".

If I really want to kick some a** I choose a sharp leather chypre such as vintage Cabochard, Bandit, or Azuree.

Yes to tough leathers too, but if I want to be ice-cold, my ultimate Boardroom Bitch is Ivoire de Balmain. It's practically a middle finger all by itself.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
From a masculine perspective alone, always perceiving as such especially the ladies that wear feminine/unisex classics and/or powerhouses along the lines of but not limited to:

No. 19 and/or No. 19 but also the Coco and Allure series by Chanel, the Poison, Miss Dior and Dolce Vita range by Dior, Magie Noire, Le Dix by Balenciaga, Spellbound as well as further Estee Lauder landmarks, several vintage Caron and Lutens releases, TF Black Orchid, Bvlgari Jasmin Noire, Cabotine de Gres, numerous vintage Guerlains - mainly in the case of Shalimar, l'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
No. 19 and/or No. 19 but also the Coco and Allure series by Chanel, the Poison, Miss Dior and Dolce Vita range by Dior, Magie Noire, Le Dix by Balenciaga, Spellbound as well as further Estee Lauder landmarks, several vintage Caron and Lutens releases, TF Black Orchid, Bvlgari Jasmin Noire, Cabotine de Gres, numerous vintage Guerlains - mainly in the case of Shalimar, l'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci
Estee Lauder landmarks- good point. I’m thinking Azuree, Knowing, and Private Collection?

CookBot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Ivoire has been my go-to for years. Remember when you could pick up a bottle at Marshall's for $14.99?

You can once again, if you don't mind the swill that was reformulated in 2012, which was the massive failure it deserved to be and is now at all the discounters.

I notice that almost all the HBIC fragrances suggested here are vintage classics. I was trying to think of some modern ones that fit the bill. Caz mentioned Spell 125, which I haven't tried but now want to.

Someone else mentioned Mugler's Aura, and I thought it deserved a second notice. Even though I personally dislike it, it certainly has a bitchy quality of a very elevated nature. It's super-green, and aloof, with an extraterrestrial, other-worldly feel about it -- like a perfume for a Martian Bitch. Wear this and no one will think of you as cuddly.

Even the bottle looks bitchy and alien:
thierry-mugler-aura-edp-vapo-refillable-90ml.png

FoxyBerry

Basenotes Member
Sep 7, 2021
You can once again, if you don't mind the swill that was reformulated in 2012, which was the massive failure it deserved to be and is now at all the discounters.
Nope, vintage all the way! I've got three of the tall rectangular bottles in reserve that will last me a lifetime, I think!

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Ugh, you guys are lucky to find anything decent at your discounters. The stuff you find here doesn’t even have a brand— never even makes it to Basenotes most of the time. There’s the occasional CK or D&G or maybe a Marc Jacobs. Rare, though.

I see your point, @Cook.bot. Though Galop got a call-out.

For modern:

I’ve explored Aoud Cuir d’Arabie as an HBIC.

And these days Dior Addict strikes me that way, though it’s probably just the association with a narcissistic boss.

D

Deleted member 26358387

This is a great thread! Let me add:

Habinita
LPRN Black Perfecto EDP
Rihanna Reb'l Fleur Love Always (all black bottle)
Cabochard
Angel (If it was beyotch enough for Hillary...)
Elizabeth and James French Gray (tobacco/cigarette vibe)
Lalique pour Homme (Lion's Head)
Madonna Truth or Dare
Victoria's Secret Basic Instinct

and my special weapon:
equal parts Tabu and Ciara :)

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 26358387

Bold choice! I once did a sample pass with Whitefluffy and that sample had leaked into the package, and I had to air it out a couple days before opening as a result!
It's fierce. Not for wallflowers. One spray is more than enough if you want someone's attention!

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
Interesting experience this week. Working from home I wanted soothing calm fragrances - that was Iris from Hermes exclusive line, and then I had 3 different vetyvers - Mona's, Jo Malone, and Hermes.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I don't feel any fragrance I own as particularly bitchy (nor myself actually), but when I need to be professional, no-nonsense and 'senior director', I would probably reach for Chanel No. 19 edp or Miss Dior. I think Chanel Cuir de Russie or 31 Rue Cambon would also be elegant options. Come to think of it, Dryad could work too. I'd pick a scent with personality and a very understated sensuality.

Duchess Potato

Basenotes Member
Oct 7, 2020
No 19 EDP, Cristalle, Miss Dior, particularly Cabochard for really 'I've had it with your shit' days. Basically any of my throwback chypres, except maybe Aromatics Elxir, it's just not cold and snappy enough.

Though sometimes for 'alpha beyotch' stank I'll go animalic, weird layers, like Lady Vengeance + Juste Filthy (rose/kouros car crash). I used to treasure my vintage Antaeus for the same purpose, but the bottle's turned after so many years and I've heard the recent formulas are meh.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
All great choices so far.

Vintage No. 19 EDT, liberally applied, is my go-to scent for demanding days. It’s tough but subtle.

If I really want to kick some a** I choose a sharp leather chypre such as vintage Cabochard, Bandit, or Azuree.

Definitely agree Azuree all the way in this category! It's a bitch slap of a fragrance, just the ticket when you need to throw your weight around a situation. Apply liberally and feel your testy b*tch come out.

Latest posts

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp