Your favourite vanilla—and why!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
There are so many vanilla-laden scents here I don’t know i.e. yet to experience and a few I also love like Shalimar, Cuir Beluga, Vanille Insensée.

I don’t really consider Le Lion predominantly a vanilla scent but it’s the way the vanilla comes up through the other notes that is so insidiously magical.

The only problem is that while reading all the delicious descriptions I failed to notice the level of Le Lion going down in the bottle. Now there are only 3cm/1.18” left and I will very soon have to get some more.
I’m still holding out for my first bottle of Le Lion. You’re burning through to your second!

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
So sampling Anatole Lebreton and Fleur Cachée was todays wear in first sniff was taken by surprised this earthbound herbal spiciness combined with a vanilla with tolerable levels of sweetness.

First vanilla in awhile that didn’t make my stomach roll due to diabetic sweetness and boringness

firstascent

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 10, 2022
YSL - Babycat !!

This stuff… is so good! Like a Smokey deep vanilla. I dunno how to explain it but it’s simply incredible especially if you like vanilla!

Vanilla for me is just one of this notes that I simply like, it’s nice. I don’t love it or hate it. But how Babycat was done I want to stick my nose in it every 5 seconds while wearing.

CharonLRdraws

Ledi Perehodov Arts
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2022
YSL - Babycat !!

This stuff… is so good! Like a Smokey deep vanilla. I dunno how to explain it but it’s simply incredible especially if you like vanilla!

Vanilla for me is just one of this notes that I simply like, it’s nice. I don’t love it or hate it. But how Babycat was done I want to stick my nose in it every 5 seconds while wearing.
Okay adding this to my "to buy" list for November and it'll be my first dip into YSL's private line should be fun.

Dava

Basenotes Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cuoio dei Dolci by Abdes Salaam Attar
I have the Spiritueuse Double Vanille version with the gold cap, but I did the crazy thing, I poured in half a bottle of vanilla absolute (from Enfleurage NY) because its cedar notes smelled too sharp for me. I don't know if this decision was a good or bad, it didn't seem to change the whole scent much, but it became more balsamic and thicker with a more creamy vanilla aftertaste.
I've been chasing pure natural vanilla, no syrup, no cookies, no caramel. I recently got a bottle of TRNP's Blue Lotus Tahitensis, it's super addictive with tahitian vanilla in it, but it has a leathery and rye vibe, and it's interesting that adding a lot of vanilla is less sweet than the original The blue lotus original.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
For a left field vanilla, seek out Hermes Vanille Galante, the strangest take on vanilla I've experienced.
This is one of my favorite fragrances, but it's more lily than 'vanilly' to me.

Vanilla is everywhere in my collection, so it's hard to pick a favorite. I really like sweet tobacco vanilla, like arabesque by the merchant of Venice, but also rose and vanilla, satin mood. But there are so many others!

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great names already mentioned, most of whom I would second (and also routinely wear) as ideal vanilla choices.
Also adding Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, as a higher performance, dialed up and at least equally lush, even luxurious Eau des Baux style rich vanilla and Siwa by Memo Paris, among the boozy-gourmand unisex recent niche vanillas.

SFLizbeth

Jan 28, 2009
Calling all vanillaphiles!

There are so many scents out there with wonderful vanilla notes, notes that can be quite different one from the other. Some are sweet, some are not. There seems to be a vanilla for every taste. (No pun intended.)

My favourite vanilla scent is Le Lion de Chanel. It is of the unsweet variety that wafts subliminally under the other notes and keeps the whole perfume elevated in a heavenly aura around the wearer.

Which perfume(s) have that particular vanilla that entrances you?
I love:
Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - beeswax, honey, and vanilla (#2)
L' Artisan Vanilia - sexy sandalwood, vanilla, and ylang ylang (*my #1 favorite)
Dior Addict - Floral/vanilla
Shalimar Souffle Intense - beautiful vanilla with musk and benzoin
Mona di Orio Vanille - Smoky vanilla

tessera

Mar 14, 2007
I am finding that I love vanilla way more than I thought, but many mentioned here don't work at all for me. Bois de Vanille is a terrible unscrubbable disaster on my skin. Lalique Le Parfum is mostly loud bergamot with very little vanilla. I AM going to go hunt down Rising Phoenix Sicilian Vanilla as it sounds like it's right up my alley. Vanilla scents I own and love include Carrement Belle Vanille (dark caramelized vanilla with a sort of incense feel without any actual incense), Bois de Armanie (smoked benzoin that has a heavy vanilla scent but not sweet in any way), a Tihota clone that I adore and could afford (I would get the real thing if I could: It smells like actual Tahitian Vanilla: non-sweet but milky smoky creamy vanilla. Love.), Smoked Vanilla from Flaming Candle oils that I don't ever get tired of (tart, woody, slightly spiced vanilla. Again, not sugary.)

Ga.Peach

Basenotes Member
Jul 14, 2021
I never liked/never wore the EDT back in the day; and,after an initial buyer's remorse,have been enjoying the vanilla aspect of DIOR Fahrenheit Parfum. I couldn't bring myself to wear it at all for over a year. Loving it in the cooler weather.

Would love to smell some YSL Babycat;also Chanel Le Lion. And Hypnotic Poison

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...