Your Favourite Chanel Fragrance?

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Given your age, I’d recommend the Allure line and then Sycomore, Boy or 1957. From the Les Eaux I really like Edimbourg (the most masculine one from these 3, whatever that means), Paris and Venise. Ahhh, I like all Chanel perfumes — if you like the classics, go for those. I find Antaeus and Egoiste quite modern smelling.

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
My top 5:

1) Eau de Cologne. Masterpiece. This is fragrance art.
2) Egoiste. A little feminine, but it really does captivate me.
3) Allure Homme Edition Blanche. Great feel-good long lasting scent.
4) Pour Monsieur. I don't wear it much, but love it every time I do.
5) Bleu de Chanel. DIdn't like this one at all at first. Has really grown on me.

Karesz

Dec 4, 2011
Hi!
Most Chanels will be too mature for your age group. They give off a little old fashioned wibe, in other words you will have to learn wearing them.
For now your best choice would be Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrème and Edition Blanche. Popular, wearable and they both suit your age group.
Also try Chanel Allure Homme. My most worn fragrance. Not hyped, therefore you can't smell it on guys as much as the other flankers but it is a hidden gem. Very smooth, fruity, creamy, delightful fragrance with an elegant, woody masculine base. Beautiful, sweet, citrusy peach opening, the mellow spices make it a perfect every day oriental fragrance. Compliment getter, a perfect transition between the older and the recent releases. For me this is an all season and all ocasion fragrance, a Jolly Joker. I keep returning to it after many years.

incense+heliotrope

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Chanel is not my favourite designer house (that would be Hermes or Guerlain), but I have enjoyed
Antaeus (enough that I currently own a decant; and have previous history with it)
Paris-Edimbourg (refreshing for summer, and good all year round)

promqueen

Basenotes Member
Oct 28, 2009
Hey there, I tried out a couple Chanel fragrances the other day and liked them for the most part.

I especially liked the older ones such as Pour Monsieur and Platinum Egoiste, but I'm afraid they might be a bit too mature for an 18 year old guy.

I'm also interested in the Allure Homme line since it seems a bit more "modern" I guess.

Just thought I'd hear some of your personal thoughts and opinions
Chanel no 5 L'Eau---all day!

Salumbre

Jan 26, 2022
Wish I could understand the adoration for Egoiste. I have it, it's perfectly fine I guess, but the amount of praise it gets just doesn't add up.

Egoiste is not for everybody. I don't mean it as a judgment, just a fact. They had to come up with the Platinum flanker right away, because it wasn't selling as well as they expected.

It retains a very loyal following, but not a massive one. In the US, for example, you can only buy at Nordstrom (when they stock it) or from the Chanel website. It does not make sense for retailers to stock it, because it just doesn't sell.

I know all this because I have been an Egoiste fan since the fateful moment a guy I was dating let me have his bottle, a gift from his mother, because he didn't like it.

ccdan

Basenotes Junkie
May 7, 2017
Sycomore EDP is my favorite by far.
Coromandel and Boy are also nice but not as nice as Sycomore.

From the designer line I find relatively good Bleu de Chanel, Platinum Egoiste and Allure Edition Blanche - but nothing special.

Funny thing, I tested about a week ago Cuir de Russie and had pretty high expectations, instead I found it skanky, indolic - didn't expect this from a Chanel.

Latest News