Your favorite summer scents for specific purposes...

Nihilist

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 29, 2008
What makes up some of your olfactory arsenal for the spring and summer months?

Specifically, one for day/work, evening and dates apiece?

I'll give you a few from my wardrobe; Gendarme for day/work, Encre Noire for evening, Dior Homme or GIT for dates. What's yours?

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I don’t wear perfumes for a purpose. But I am enjoying Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford, and Zegna’s Mediterranean Neroli, which are both summer-y. But I also enjoy heavy scents in the summer too, such as Eau Sacree by Heeley, or Ormonde Jayne’s Black Gold.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
For classics, probably Chanel Pour Monsieur, Guerlain Sous Le Vent, Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale, Eau de Rochas Pour Homme - going out during the day, particularly when its warm out.

Modern day picks, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Virgin Island Water and Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche - for the same reasons above.

vertatre

Dec 21, 2010
My only summer criteria, If I'm going to be out and about most of the day (really on the weekend) and it's hot and I know I will be sweating due to humidity, I will choose either CD Eau Sauvage, CD Cologne, Rochas Moustache 1949 (?) or AdP Colonia Pura as a blind pull and douse somewhat liberally. If I want to stand out a bit more, I ll pull out the old YSL Pour Homme (either the original or Haute Concentree) or really even a Monsieur de Givenchy. Those work well in this particular climate IMO.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
From the current wardrobe:

cooler summer evenings- L'Occitan and possibly Sartorial,

extreme heat- either nothing or at most Mugler Cologne,

anywhere from smart casual to semi formal to more formal summer outfits- Boucheron PH EDP, vintage tin can edition Rive Gauche PH, Roberto Capucci PH,

likable no nonsense yet classy, well crafted everyday wearer- Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche or Azzaro PH l'Eau

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
From the current wardrobe:

cooler summer evenings- L'Occitan and possibly Sartorial,

extreme heat- either nothing or at most Mugler Cologne,

anywhere from smart casual to semi formal to more formal summer outfits- Boucheron PH EDP, vintage tin can edition Rive Gauche PH, Roberto Capucci PH,

likable no nonsense yet classy, well crafted everyday wearer- Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche or Azzaro PH l'Eau
Ken, Always enjoy your posts--and your way with words. Do you know if Mugler "Come Together" is any good. Seems the regular Mugler Cologne is discontinued.

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
I have few scents that I tend to wear more in summer/warmer weather (bear in mind my northerly location; 'warmer' is 15-20C)
Guerlain Vetiver
Aramis Tuscany
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling

I used to wear Bottega Veneta pH EdT for summer, but this year I wore it through winter, and found it worked equally well.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Ken, Always enjoy your posts--and your way with words. Do you know if Mugler "Come Together" is any good. Seems the regular Mugler Cologne is discontinued.
Sorry logging back on and for replying only now. For now, indeed not finding the regular Mugler Cologne on the sites of most online and offline retailers without however having any official info about its discontinuation, while also have not tested the many Mugler Cologne flankers yet.

dogtoe

Aug 5, 2016
My favorite summer scents (Texas has long summers):
- Creed Royal Mayfair
- Creed Aventus (informal)
- AdP Colonia Intensa
- AdP Colonia Pura (a dumb reach)
- AdP Quercia (when my wife is not around—she hates it)
- Zegna Florentine Iris (formal, business)
- Malle Music for a While (informal occasions)
- Malle Geranium pour Monsieur (formal)
- Malle Eau Magnolia (you have to try this one if you’re a guy)
- Roja Elysium Parfum Cologne (anytime)
- Histoires de Parfums 1828 (it’s quickly growing on me)
- Ormonde Jayne Ambre Royal (more formal affairs)
- Dior Homme 2020 (a dumb reach)
- Dior Cologne 2013 (will get the new one later in the summer)
- Amouage Lyric Man

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
For some reason I really love the dry spice of Cacharel pour l"Homme on a hot summer day - when the heat comes off the blacktop in shimmery waves, this retro nutmeg bomb comes to life on my skin.

Mugler Cologne is another good one. A lovely green soap bubble that shines in humidity. (I have a decant of "Come Together" and it's supposed to be the same as the original. I haven't directly compared, but it's lovely either way.)

Encre Noire feels especially good on a warm summer night, even if the scent reminds me more of dead leaves in autumn--counter-programming that works.

Dior Homme Cologne is great for the hottest days when nothing else will do. Iced lemonade and white musk; no more, no less. Ethereal and effervescent. Quiet, but quietly tenacious. The epitome of clean.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
- Torrential rain in August: Penhaligon's Brilliantly British
- Lockdown 1.0 and no toilet paper: Dior Leather Oud
- Unseen rip tide: Bvlgari Aqva Amara (Strength Of The Ocean)
- The 'Grey T Shirt was a bad choice' summer nightclub sweats: Creed Aventus (l'Oignon!)
- Shark infested seas: Florida Water
- Forest fires: Profumum Roma Arso
- Melted ice cream: Carner Barcelona Palo Santo
- Sunburn: Mr Krabs Spongebob Squarepants

D

Deleted member 26358314

What makes up some of your olfactory arsenal for the spring and summer months?

Specifically, one for day/work, evening and dates apiece?

I'll give you a few from my wardrobe; Gendarme for day/work, Encre Noire for evening, Dior Homme or GIT for dates. What's yours?
I love Encre Noire but I've never considered trying it in summer - I've always thought of it as Spring/Autumn cold wet kinda scent. I might give it a go.
Also which Dior Homme do you recommend? Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme 2020 or Dior Homme Intense?

Latest posts

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...