Your Favorite Cheapies

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
Because I've taken up this hobby whilst on a hiatus from my day job, I'm very much on a fixed perfume income. However, I've made myself stop buying $25-$50sample batches, and I'm looking for bottles of decent fragrances in about that price range instead. I know there are some out there besides the obvious stuff like Youth Dew, but I don't know where to look, aside from the Pink/Gold/Black Sugars.

Somebody told me about Jeanne Arthes, but I can't tell much from their website or their product reviews. Their prices look kinda scary, but I want to believe. I really don't mind, so long as something's fun or interesting.

I should note that I happily wear masculines, so fire away, guys.

What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

snuffling_wombat

Jan 9, 2016
You can pick up some classics very reasonably on the grey market, especially if you wait for sales. For example, Mitsouko EDP is currently $45 with coupon on Fragrancenet, and L'Heure Bleue is about $55.

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
Sea Roses calling thediamondsea,

Recently I haven't been well and have looked at ebay. Not sure if it is the same in the states..........but often in the mornings JoMalones/diptyque/Kenzo/Issey Miyake and various other went at prices that made me feel a bit silly! (because of what I paid for them) .

Good luck and take care

sea roses
(((Sea Roses))), I'm sorry you're still not feeling well.

EBay does have some goodies; it's catch-as-catch can with quality and authenticity sometimes, but if the vendors won't refund your money when you complain, eBay will take care of it. At least so far, for me. I'm waiting for two more bargains to see if they pan out.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
You'll be trying some of my picks soon in the sample pass! Green Tea is my favorite cheapie of all time (so far, of course!); wearing it now in fact. Some people find this one too short-lived on skin to bother but it's actually very lasting on me for a citrus. Great bath and body products to match, too. You may enjoy 5th Avenue as well-very pretty and ladylike but not too formal. If those two please your nose, maybe check out other Ardens.

Others I enjoy include:
Madonna Truth or Dare
Yardley Royal English Daisy/now called London Daisy
Molyneux Quartz (this one is excellent and maybe right up your alley)
Queen Latifah Queen
Burberry for Women
Chloe (the original Lagerfeld one)

You might also want to look into the Pacifica line. I find them around here at our Whole Foods-type stores. I have their French Lilac and think it's among the nicest lilacs I've tried.

Good call, snuffling_wombat, on finding deals on classics! If you're near a Sephora, you can go sample their Guerlain currents (should be able to try most of the Allegorias there) then go order online far below retail if you like any.:evil:

dealt7faux

Apr 24, 2015
You can pick up some classics very reasonably on the grey market, especially if you wait for sales. For example, Mitsouko EDP is currently $45 with coupon on Fragrancenet, and L'Heure Bleue is about $55.
Check out the eBay Fragrancenet store as they often sell testers and partially used bottles you won't find on their website. Also, it's not unusual to find fragrances on the eBay store that are cheaper than on the website, and sometimes you can get free shipping too!

ErinK

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 6, 2013
I enjoy buying partially used vintage bottles of classics, which are frequently found in this price range, and to that end, ebay has become my go to for good prices on great fragrances. So while none of these are perfumes I would consider "cheapies" (far from it), here are examples of perfumes I have purchased for $25-50 on ebay:

vintage No.5 EDT
vintage Ivoire extrait
vintage Arpege extrait
vintage Givenchy III
vintage Sharlmar EDT
Diorissimo (vintage mini)

Now to the essence of your original question. I consider a "cheapie" to be a very inexpensive, non-classic perfume you can easily find in new, full bottles. Here are some I like (some I even love) that fit that description:

Amor Amor by Cacharel
Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her (love)
Burberry original for women
Gap Close. I know I'm a broken record on this one, but it's one of my all time favorites. A quick Ebay search showed a 3.4 oz bottle going for $23.
Last but not least...Prada Infusion d'Iris. All day long. While I would call it a modern classic, I think it needs another decade or so to be a full-fledged classic, so despite my strong distaste for calling the closest perfume I have to a signature scent a "cheapie," it gets included here because it's a favorite and fits my cheapie description.

*Edit to add* a note on minis. This is another great way to expand your collection without doing decants or expensive full bottles...and mini bottles are so darn cute! So many great scents are available in mini versions and they're also (surprise) easy to find and usually very inexpensive on ebay. An example of one I got recently: 10 ml spray of Elie Saab for around $15.

Last edited:

sunny82

May 17, 2014
Estee Lauder prices are good, and the scents that I've tried blow me away with their quality. Azurre, Knowing and Aramis are excellent. Encre Noir is a masculine that I love. And it's ridiculously cheap.

sunny82

May 17, 2014
Also, 3rd Homme by Caron is supposed to be a great masculine for a woman. About $35 bucks on fragrancenet. It's one that I've been thinking about as a blind buy.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Another broken record here; as everyone knows by now, the original Ghost by Ghost is by far my favourite cheapie. ;)

l don't know about its availability in the US, but here it's easy to find at Boots for £20-30.

l may think of more later...

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
I enjoy buying partially used vintage bottles of classics, which are frequently found in this price range, and to that end, ebay has become my go to for good prices on great fragrances. So while none of these are perfumes I would consider "cheapies" (far from it), here are examples of perfumes I have purchased for $25-50 on ebay:

vintage No.5 EDT
vintage Ivoire extrait
vintage Arpege extrait
vintage Givenchy III
vintage Sharlmar EDT
Diorissimo (vintage mini)

Now to the essence of your original question. I consider a "cheapie" to be a very inexpensive, non-classic perfume you can easily find in new, full bottles. Here are some I like (some I even love) that fit that description:

Amor Amor by Cacharel
Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her (love)
Burberry original for women
Gap Close. I know I'm a broken record on this one, but it's one of my all time favorites. A quick Ebay search showed a 3.4 oz bottle going for $23.
Last but not least...Prada Infusion d'Iris. All day long. While I would call it a modern classic, I think it needs another decade or so to be a full-fledged classic, so despite my strong distaste for calling the closest perfume I have to a signature scent a "cheapie," it gets included here because it's a favorite and fits my cheapie description.

*Edit to add* a note on minis. This is another great way to expand your collection without doing decants or expensive full bottles...and mini bottles are so darn cute! So many great scents are available in mini versions and they're also (surprise) easy to find and usually very inexpensive on ebay. An example of one I got recently: 10 ml spray of Elie Saab for around $15.

I agrees about minis! The sample thing can be a bit of a racket. Sometimes it's exciting, but 10ml or more in a cute bottle with an actual sprayer--way better. And sometimes it has saved me from myself. I found a couple of things that I'm really glad I didn't spring for a full bottle of.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Perhaps also a few additional testing options (in no particular order):

Silences de Jacomo
Vanderbilt
Mugler Cologne
Je Reviens by Worth
most fragrances by Elizabeth Arden, including most of the Green Tea line
as well numerous Yves Rocher, L`Erbolario and/or L`Occitane fragrances
most of the Versace Jeans line- including quite a few good to great masculine and unisex scents as well

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
Another broken record here; as everyone knows by now, the original Ghost by Ghost is by far my favourite cheapie. ;)

l don't know about its availability in the US, but here it's easy to find at Boots for £20-30.

l may think of more later...

Most of the online discounters have Ghost in stock. I picked up one of the flankers (Whisper, I think) blind in a Beautyspin purchase last week, because the tester was super cheap, and because I knew you were a fan and I trust your taste.

Our pharmacies (generally) just aren't as classy as UK ones, where you can find decent fragrance options. I went crazy in Boots: they're terrific.

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
I'll give a shout-out here to Dame Perfumery in Scottsdale, AZ. The perfumes are well done, with some interesting note combinations, and are really affordable. Customer service is exceptional, and samples are available at little or no cost. I particularly liked Dark Horse and Mandarine, Neroli, and Cedar.

devilcat

Feb 5, 2010
Green Tea - yes! One of my favourite cheapies too.

Someone (ErinK?) mentioned Cacharel - LouLou, Anais Anais, Eden and Noa are great and cheap frags (Noa the best one in my humble opinion; Eden a bit weird, but since you can pick it up for pennies in the UK, it's worth having). I also picked up Bulgari Black and L by Lolita Lempicka very cheaply at a UK discounter, and they are both lovely fragrances.

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
I'll give a shout-out here to Dame Perfumery in Scottsdale, AZ. The perfumes are well done, with some interesting note combinations, and are really affordable. Customer service is exceptional, and samples are available at little or no cost. I particularly liked Dark Horse and Mandarine, Neroli, and Cedar.

Nice!

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
I recently got Bulgari Black, Lolita Lempicka L'Eau en Blanc and Natori for under $30 each at Fragrancenet. Also got a mini of BV the Knot on ebay.

I've got a vintage Bulgari Black that I put back for seasonal use . . .

How's that Natori? I've never tried it.

jacona

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2003
I don't think I've spent more than $40 on most of my bottles. Check out places online like: scentiments, fragranceX, scentedmonkey, beautyencounter, parfum1, for in store always check out places like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall's lots of great deals to be had.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
So nice to hear of another Quartz fan (well, two!), hednic! I doubt that anyone just sniffing that one could guess what it sells for. Reminds me a bit of Cristalle; our Evangeline also loved it and preferred it to the Chanel, I believe.

So many here I would plus one, it would take up too much space! These are all such great recs. Will pile Desert Rose onto foxbins' Dame Perfumery suggestions.

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
I'm a bit of a broken record, but I think you can get some amazing and unique perfumes for such a reasonable price at Lush.

Also, I love Femme and Tocade by Rochas, both of which are insanely cheap online.

And Ma Griffe also - I tend to see it in independent drugstores for next to nothing.

Tabu is always fun, and the vintage isn't too expensive online either.

Halston - another classic, available at discounters.

Grey Flannel if you like violet, and since you're not afraid of "masculines."

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne if you like rich floral skanky perfumes. Vintage not that hard to come by.

Those are just a few off the top of my head at the moment. But one other thing I'll say - you can spend an awful lot of money on not-quite-right cheapies; they add up. If there's a more expensive perfume that you know you'd love and wear, it might just be worth it.

Parfum de peau

Aug 18, 2006
Another vote for Molyneux Quartz and the original Chloe
Rochas Femme can be found quite cheaply. Montana Parfum de peau and Jacomo Silences as well.
I recently bought the body shop fuji green tea and it is very nice. They have a nice fig scent as well.

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
Blind bought the Quartz. I trust you guys, I've been looking for something green, and that price is just killer.

I also have this weird thing for obscure French houses. Whitefluffy has my number, I think.

The worst thing that could happen is that I'll have a new experience.

ExtremeK

Some of my paths in life are dirt
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2010
Mauboussin EDP (the original) is by far my favorite cheapie. It can been had for a steal on fragrancenet.

I echo ErinK's recommendation of Prada Infusion d'Iris, either the EDP or the Absolue. Fabulous, fabulous fragrances, also to be had for a steal on fragrancenet and other online discounters.

Sonoma Scent Studio and Ava Luxe are indie lines with extraordinarily good fragrances at really reasonable prices. I highly recommend them both. The SSS fragrances are all parfum/extrait strength, too, so a little goes a long way.

Last but not least, BeautyHabit has 14ml minis of some of the Histoires de Parfums line on sale for $27. They're normally $36. Also check out the collection of vanillas (if you're into them) from La Maison de la Vanille. You can get a sampler that has 15ml minis of each of the 5 fragrances for just $60. The full bottles are also a steal. And don't let the EDT concentration fool you. They are strong and tenacious!

jbthorpe

Feb 16, 2009
As previously mentioned, some Aramis scents are great and can be had for cheap. For example, Calligraphy Rose is fantastic and beautyspin.com has testers for $35 + $7 shipping. Sometimes you can get regular bottles (not testers) for that same price. Of course Havana is also a favorite here on BN.

I haven't tried too many Jacques Bogart or Ted Lapidus scents, but they also get a lot of love here on BN and are pretty cheap.

Not sure if it was previously mentioned, but Cuba Gold is pretty awesome IMO and dirt cheap.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Wow, quite a Quartz fan club; that's great to know! I hope you'll like it, thediamondsea! Green yes, and citrusy. Very chic French chypre and very summery, in a grown-up way. I easily went through a large bottle over a couple of summers and it lasts on skin perfectly well. I just liked it so much I ran right through it!

For green, green and more green though, Parfum de peau's Silences rec cannot be beat. Another great one. And again, another plus one to just about every suggestion. Am taking note of the ones I don't know, as well!

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
I'm a bit of a broken record, but I think you can get some amazing and unique perfumes for such a reasonable price at Lush.

Also, I love Femme and Tocade by Rochas, both of which are insanely cheap online.

And Ma Griffe also - I tend to see it in independent drugstores for next to nothing.

Tabu is always fun, and the vintage isn't too expensive online either.

Halston - another classic, available at discounters.

Grey Flannel if you like violet, and since you're not afraid of "masculines."

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne if you like rich floral skanky perfumes. Vintage not that hard to come by.

Those are just a few off the top of my head at the moment. But one other thing I'll say - you can spend an awful lot of money on not-quite-right cheapies; they add up. If there's a more expensive perfume that you know you'd love and wear, it might just be worth it.

I've had my eye on Tocade, but I wasn't sure. It's great to get independent confirmation. Thanks!

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Congratulations for your purchase so far and just adding yet another recommendation in favor of a fragrance house just discovered today, namely Monotheme, their fragrance named Black Musk combining niche-tier packaging with a modern, but not too light nor sanitized take on musk, appropriate for either gender, halfway through between a gourmand and an animalic fragrance, with a darker, edgier, more brooding, luxurious and eccentric take on both of these main themes.

Latest News