Your 2021 Fragrance Balance

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
It is time for a new year and a new thread of your fragrance balance. The Netto
biggrin.gif
This thread is not just for restrictions, it is to keep track of how your collection is changing over the year. Your goal might be to decrease as well as to increase your collection.

You start with the balance 0. End a bottle in 2020 and you are -1. End a bottle and buy two new ones, then you are +1. Nothing advanced. I am counting my samples and decants as well as my bottles. If you want you could differ sold/ended as well as gifted/purchased. It could also be fun to see which fragrances that are sold, bought and so on.

Please share how your collection is changing! And a happy new year to all of you! :beer:

Link to 2020: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/472909-Your-2020-Fragrance-Balance

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
I am starting this year with 35 bottles and 73 samples/decants (one not in directory so 74 for real)

I will try to tell which fragrances that is in or out and if they were ended or sold for example.

I had one wearing left of a sample of Valentino Uomo Born in Roma that I ended this first day of the year. Thus:

Bottles: +-0

Samples/decants: -1 (+0, -1)

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Notes:
- I count the bottles already paid for and currently in the mail as belonging to 2020's bottle count.
- In my mind, 15ml and smaller do not count as "bottles".

Starting bottle count: 72.
Balance: 0.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
H_West, thank you for reviving this yearly thread which is fun, helpful and eye opening at the same time!
I massively failed my last year's goal to shrink my wardrobe a bit and instead it got only bigger. I can blame pandemic induced anxiety for it or I can blame myself and my lack of impulse control - or I can blame no one at all, take it as it is, embrace all the beautiful scents I've got and just do better this year.

I'm starting the year with 65 fragrances (including 2 big decants and 13 minis/travel sprays, so I could count 50 "bottles", but I choose to count fragrances as I get lots of wears of small sizes anyway and they're still technically bottles) and 28 samples.
I also have 16 backups (4 of them are mini backups - backups of mini bottles, so it's kinda funny to count them as 4 bottles :) 1 of the backups is of a fragrance that's not currently in my wardrobe)

My goal for this year is to shrink my wardrobe back to at least some point below 60 (plan minimum), preferably to 50 (plan maximum). I do intend to buy several things this year but I prefer to use up more of what I already have than to seek new bottles.
I don't have any serious goals for samples and backups. I might get some more (I want backups of some of my favourites), I might not.

First change: -1 to Samples (finished a Mon Guerlain EDP sample), so my current stats are:
Wardrobe: 0
Samples: -1 (-1; +0)
Backups: 0

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
First bottle finish this year - finished the last drops of a small bottle of Rihanna Rebelle while spraying it on my mask and my scarf before going for a walk today...and realized there's nothing to spray actually. It was an easy one as the bottle was almost empty before the New Year.

I started with 65 fragrances in Wardrobe, 28 samples and 16 backups. My goal minimum this year is -6 to Wardrobe (hard, yet achievable if I don't do unplanned purchases), my goal maximum is -15 to Wardrobe (not very achievable as I don't bother with selling and I want to rebuy one finished fragrance and maybe something new this year, too, but at least I can spray my masks and laundry, too).

Wardrobe: -1 (-1; +0)

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
H_West, thank you for reviving this yearly thread which is fun, helpful and eye opening at the same time!
I massively failed my last year's goal to shrink my wardrobe a bit and instead it got only bigger. I can blame pandemic induced anxiety for it or I can blame myself and my lack of impulse control - or I can blame no one at all, take it as it is, embrace all the beautiful scents I've got and just do better this year.

I'm starting the year with 65 fragrances (including 2 big decants and 13 minis/travel sprays, so I could count 50 "bottles", but I choose to count fragrances as I get lots of wears of small sizes anyway and they're still technically bottles) and 28 samples.
I also have 16 backups (4 of them are mini backups - backups of mini bottles, so it's kinda funny to count them as 4 bottles :) 1 of the backups is of a fragrance that's not currently in my wardrobe)

My goal for this year is to shrink my wardrobe back to at least some point below 60 (plan minimum), preferably to 50 (plan maximum). I do intend to buy several things this year but I prefer to use up more of what I already have than to seek new bottles.
I don't have any serious goals for samples and backups. I might get some more (I want backups of some of my favourites), I might not.

First change: -1 to Samples (finished a Mon Guerlain EDP sample), so my current stats are:
Wardrobe: 0

Thank you for sharing, just happy more than me could have use for this. Good luck in your new plan :)

I finished a sample of Missoni Wave. Very similar to Allure Homme Sport/Versace Pour Homme.

Samples/decants: -3 (+0, -3)

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you for sharing, just happy more than me could have use for this. Good luck in your new plan :)

I finished a sample of Missoni Wave. Very similar to Allure Homme Sport/Versace Pour Homme.

Thank you!
Honestly, when I actually counted how many bottles I can realistically finish this year, I think my plan maximum is absolutely unreachable and my plan minimum is my plan maximum already, because it's only achievable if I finish everything that seems finishable right now and only get my Mandarine Basilic that's planned for spring and then nothing else for the year.
Oh well, I guess it doesn't have to be -6 by the end of the year, but as long as it's minus-something I'll be content.

Do you have any specific wardrobe-related goals?

cpp214

Jan 20, 2011
As of today,

25 bottles
4 large decants
(dozens of samples)

1 cheapie on the way (Set Sail St. Barts $23) and ordered a 5ml decant of Naxos to try in spray form after having used up a dab-vial..
Like others, have cut way back on my collection, which was over 70 bottles a year and a half ago.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Thank you!
Honestly, when I actually counted how many bottles I can realistically finish this year, I think my plan maximum is absolutely unreachable and my plan minimum is my plan maximum already, because it's only achievable if I finish everything that seems finishable right now and only get my Mandarine Basilic that's planned for spring and then nothing else for the year.
Oh well, I guess it doesn't have to be -6 by the end of the year, but as long as it's minus-something I'll be content.

Do you have any specific wardrobe-related goals?

Just vague plans in my head that not really have changed the last two years. Two years ago I might have failed, the last year I succeeded. The so called plan is to not expand my collection either in samples or bottles. If I end a bottle it is OK to buy a new. But not just the first that pops up in my head, well chosen with good quality. It is a tough goal and I, like you, might underestimate the time and wearings it take to finish something off.

For January 2021 only:

+20 bottles

This will be interesting. Will you keep summing in out so the total for he year will be visible?

+0 New bottles
+1 backups
-4 Sold bottles

You are back?

Yesterday I finished a five ml decant of Eau de Guerlain I've been wearing he heck out lately. Weird timing in the winter, but working indoors the difference is not that huge.

Samples/decants: -4 (+0, -4)[/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Latest News