Young guy looking for a fragrance to help me seem more mature and masculine

joeshmoe

Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm a college student who just turned 20 last month. I'm often mistaken for a 17 year old because I have a very young face, fairly soft voice, am skinny, and have very little facial hair. I've been learning how to dress better and more maturely over the summer, and I've changed my wardrobe up a lot and gained some confidence. Now I am looking for a fragrance I can wear daily to class and possibly to job interviews that will help me seem older and more mature, as well as more masculine. I've done some research about fragrances, but to be honest I am basically noseblind. I've never noticed how people at work or school smell, and the only people who's smell I would be familiar with are my dad and previous girlfriend. I tried a sample of Terre d'Hermes that I got in the mail and really liked how it smelled, but I'd like some other suggestions as to which fragrances would help me seem older. I personally like the scent of Old Spice deodorant and associate it with masculinity and maturity because I always used to smell it on my dad when I was a kid, but I've heard some people think it goes beyond maturity and more into "old-man" territory. If I were to buy Terre d'Hermes, would it smell good if I wore it along with Old Spice deodorant?

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Welcome!

Why do people my age wish they had the body, appearance, and lack of fat of a 17 (or 20) year old? I digress...

Gym work would probably be the most useful strategy here-perfume is secondary. I would simply avoid things like Axe body sprays and sporty/aquatic perfumes (which tend to be associated with teenagers, at least here in the US). Terre d'Hermes is a great choice. I have not tried Old spice deodorants so I don't know how powerful they are-most deodorants are not that powerful so they do not clash with a perfume.

Many other perfumes have more mature and masculine connotations. Just to toss off some names, Dior Fahrenheit (leathery), Chanel Egoiste (warm, sandalwoody). YSL Kouros would probably be considered the most macho by perfume aficionados, but it can be too much for some (though the current version is less strong than the original one).

cacio

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Its not how you smell, its how you act around others that makes you mature in the eyes of others.
Musc ravageur, new york intense by nicolai, equipage and agar ebene by hermes is what would make me think that someone is classy thus mature.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Tailored suit (one for interviews), good haircut, dental hygiene, trimmed nails. Make sure you’re not spraying over body odor you yourself cannot detect. Many business schools have nicely illustrated guides to professional attire and presentation if you need examples.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I love Old Spice but I'm an old guy. That's too big a step to take. Will come off as odd at your age.

I agree with the rec to avoid the Axe type body sprays which are sort of high schoolish.

I'd just wear some normal designer scents guys your age tend to wear. You are quite young and wearing "mature" scents is not going to override your age.

Bleu de Chanel, Chanel Allure Homme, Dior Homme, Prada Luna Rosa Carbon are some suggestions. You seem new to scent, so don't over apply to compensate for age (THAT will make you seem more mature).

Wanting to be older is a concept long forgotten by many of us.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I think Terre d'Hermes is perfect for your task. It's recent and classy but not trendy - it's serious but not too serious - it's artistic but not "artsy nutsy".

You can wear any deodorant with a fragrance to modify it just a bit. It's a form of "layering", and many of us like to mix and match fragrances for effect. IMO, Terre d'Hermes and Old Spice will be fine.

Old Spice CLASSIC deodorant (there are lots of versions now) is actually a great fragrance by itself. A friend at work wore Old Spice deo and he smelled GREAT. I didn't even recognize it as Old Spice, but it did smell like a classic, NOT like a recent scent.

You can get Terre d'Hermes stick deodorant, too - it's great and smells just a bit different from the EDT or the Parfum.

If you like TdH, you can also consider the new Hermes scent H24, and also some older ones by Jean-Claude Ellena, or older Hermes scents like Rocabar, Equipage, and Bel-Ami. ALL of those are going to make you smell a bit more mature.

Good luck! Terre d'Hermes is one of my favorite scents! Great choice.

And welcome to Basenotes! :beer:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
What's with all the body shaming? The guy just asked for some cologne recommendations, not advice on his physique.

Not everybody wants to bulk up, y'know.

Not body shaming, but since he specifically indicated an interest in seeming more mature and masculine, bulking up will definitely help.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Old Spice and Terre d’Hermes would work, I think. For variations on Old Spice, maybe try Hermès Bel Ami or Equipage. It seems like Hermès is a good perfume house for you.

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
Some good recommendations above, I think - but here's another one: if you have an interview lined up, dress the part but don't wear any fragrance. You don't know what the interviewer likes or dislikes.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Old Spice and Terre d’Hermes would work, I think. For variations on Old Spice, maybe try Hermès Bel Ami or Equipage. It seems like Hermès is a good perfume house for you.

100% agree and would add that I wear Old Spice classic antiperspirant with these scents and it matches incredibly well with Equipage and Bel Ami. Like they were made for each other. It also goes fine with TdH, which IMO is your best bet for "young and together" --- remember, you ARE young, wearing an old man scent won't change that. But a scent like Terre will give you an "outside of time" smart/classic/fresh feel. Good luck and welcome!

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Not body shaming, but since he specifically indicated an interest in seeming more mature and masculine, bulking up will definitely help.

This. Taking care of his physical appearance and overall health will show others he is capable of the basics plus some, and stacking on a nice cologne will help show he cares about his hygiene. Being a stick or obese is not exactly "masculine" plus hitting the gym will help him fill out his clothes and look like he wants to feel "masculine". Also, it will ensure he is healthy and may even improve his mental wellbeing also as he grows and matures.

Scents, I would stick with for him:
Sauvage
Acqua di Gio
Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
YSL L’Homme

And others that are similar. I'm also assuming due to his age and being in school he is on a budget, so we need to keep in mind the Creeds, Tom Fords, Herod's and so on are probably out of his budget.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
This. Taking care of his physical appearance and overall health will show others he is capable of the basics plus some, and stacking on a nice cologne will help show he cares about his hygiene. Being a stick or obese is not exactly "masculine" plus hitting the gym will help him fill out his clothes and look like he wants to feel "masculine". Also, it will ensure he is healthy and may even improve his mental wellbeing also as he grows and matures.

Scents, I would stick with for him:
Sauvage
Acqua di Gio
Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme
YSL L’Homme

And others that are similar. I'm also assuming due to his age and being in school he is on a budget, so we need to keep in mind the Creeds, Tom Fords, Herod's and so on are probably out of his budget.

Yep - when I started lifting, my self confidence improved dramatically. Having gone from 150 to 200+ lbs over the past 3 - 4 years has dramatically improved my self-esteem. Of course, you don't need to go full powerlifter mode, but putting on a little muscle can't hurt.

Also appreciate the relatively affordable suggestions above. Seems like whenever college and high school students ask for suggestions, Creeds and the like always get mentioned.

Aitchellsmell

Jul 14, 2017
Hi, joeshmoe! And welcome aboard! Listen, I think anyone conducting an interview (who knows what they’re doing) will be more interested in what you have to say than how old you look. That being said, your appearance and personal hygiene WILL likely factor in their impression of you. As has already been said: clean hair, clothes, shoes and short, clean nails speak volumes. I agree that Terre d’Hermes is a ringer, but go easy if you’re gonna wear it to work/interviews. Many workplaces have “no scent” policies, and you don’t want them to think it might be a problem they’ll have to address with you. On your own time, you can spritz to your heart’s content. And there’s nothing wrong with someone saying “have you seen that new, YOUNG guy? He smells FABULOUS!”

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
Hi, joeshmoe! And welcome aboard! Listen, I think anyone conducting an interview (who knows what they’re doing) will be more interested in what you have to say than how old you look. That being said, your appearance and personal hygiene WILL likely factor in their impression of you. As has already been said: clean hair, clothes, shoes and short, clean nails speak volumes. I agree that Terre d’Hermes is a ringer, but go easy if you’re gonna wear it to work/interviews. Many workplaces have “no scent” policies, and you don’t want them to think it might be a problem they’ll have to address with you. On your own time, you can spritz to your heart’s content. And there’s nothing wrong with someone saying “have you seen that new, YOUNG guy? He smells FABULOUS!”

You make an excellent point about the "no scent" policy. He may want to ask the recruiters for jobs ahead of time to see if such policy exists. If not, I would keep the scent at an intimate level and not wear anything that projects like crazy until you land a position at that company and get a feel for the atmosphere.

ZhangFan

Sep 9, 2018
How about these?

Acqua di Parma Colonia (or another from this house)
Armaf Tres Nuit (I have not tried, but it is very affordable)
Boucheron Pour Homme
Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir
Cerruti 1881 Men
Guerlain L'Homme Ideal (EDT or EDP)
Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme (EDT or EDP)
Prada L'Homme

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm a college student who just turned 20 last month. I'm often mistaken for a 17 year old because I have a very young face, fairly soft voice, am skinny, and have very little facial hair. I've been learning how to dress better and more maturely over the summer, and I've changed my wardrobe up a lot and gained some confidence. Now I am looking for a fragrance I can wear daily to class and possibly to job interviews that will help me seem older and more mature, as well as more masculine.

If you feel you need a fragrance to help you seem older, more mature, and more masculine, I think that you're focusing on the wrong thing. And I don't mean to sound condescending, because I've also been in your shoes.

For one thing, if you choose a fragrance thinking it'll make you come across as more mature and masculine, chances are, it's going to come across as "try hard" or you'll appear as "that cologne guy." Or maybe think you're over compensating. You should wear the fragrance, the fragrance shouldn't wear you.

Second of all, the best thing that can make you come across as mature and masculine is being a competent in your dress and hygiene. So if you're wearing a fragrance that a) makes you feel comfortable and confident and b) has people thinking it matches well with your physical appearance and style, then that right there makes you come across as mature and masculine. Competence is a masculine trait.

You said you're dressing different. How? Type of dress style and the environment plays a big part in choosing a fragrance.

That said, you asked for fragrances that give off a mature and masculine impression. Here's my list:

John Varvatos Vintage
I think this might be too old for you, as it's more a scent for men in their late 30s/early 40s who want to wear a scent that's similar to the ones their father's wore back in the day. However, what's good about it is that it's a very masculine scent, a little sweet at the beginning, then boozy, with some suede or tobacco in the background. Once it dries down it meshes well with your skin to give off a more natural, masculine scent, and not some chemical cloud. Despite being evocative of macho man scents from the late 70s and early 80s, it's not a heavy wear.

Ralph Lauren Polo Cologne Intense
This is a flanker of the legendary He-Man scent, Polo, but extremely modernized to fit in crowd pleaser masculines like Sauvage and Bleu de Chanel. It smells clean, bold, and modern. I think this is something that would really be good to wear in a professional setting.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Lots of great advice in this thread already. Just chiming in to say Terre d'Hermes is an excellent choice. If you already like the way it smells, go for it. I wore TdH daily in my mid-20s (right around when TdH first released), well before I started exploring perfumes more broadly. It's a great daily driver, light enough for just about any situation if you go with a single spray to the chest, and feels sophisticated and tasteful without trying too hard.

As for job interviews... don't wear a fragrance. Just be clean, well put together, and wear effective deodorant*. (Meaning, avoid body odor at any cost, but I'd still hesitate to wear something pungent like Old Spice Classic or Brut deodorant, which have the projection of a lightly sprayed EDT and are so ubiquitous that they're easily recognized as "fragrances".) As others have said, a lot of offices have a no-fragrance policy, to protect folks with allergies and to prevent over-sprayers from polluting common areas with deathly sillage trails. If you walk into an interview wearing an obvious fragrance, it shows you either don't know that it's generally frowned upon or don't care. Sadly, it's more likely you make the interviewer think you're unprofessional than impress them with your worldly ways. I wish hiring wasn't so uptight, but I don't recommend reaching out to a recruiter in advance with a question that might be considered tacky. I interview a lot of folks with recent graduate degrees. For better or worse, a big part of making a good first impression comes down to understanding unspoken social norms. Play it safe; no fragrance.

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
Welcome and congrats on changing up your wardrobe, @joeshmoe! (y)

I'd suggest these...

Al Haramain L'Aventure
Chanel Allure Homme Sport
Versace Pour Homme
Sean John Unforgivable
Dunhill Icon
Chanel Platinum Egoiste

John Varvatos Vintage

I really like this suggestion! It's a great step up after the step up he's currently taking, if that makes any sense. Very masculine but also very modern. He could have it as his cooler weather formal scent for now and then shift it to a regular wear in a couple of years.

Agree with others here that TdH is an excellent choice, you picked a good one! Sorry, but I think Old Spice is too old, you need to be at least 30 to pull it off and it may clash with your cologne. Just get yourself a fragrance-free deodorant. I like this one. Pricey, but gets the job done and keeps you odour-free for hours and hours. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MenScience...7&sr=1-1-616c4e17-b0e5-46ee-ba6e-7368b472d899

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
@Toxicon
Really good advice.

I really like this suggestion! It's a great step up after the step up he's currently taking, if that makes any sense. Very masculine but also very modern. He could have it as his cooler weather formal scent for now and then shift it to a regular wear in a couple of years.
Thanks. After a big break I wore it prior to my post and it was the first time I noticed how unique that drydown is for a modern fragrance. It really is a winner from that house.

Old Spice, IMO, is definitely too strong a scent to pull off for a young guy, especially at the office. Even when I used to wear the original deodorant in college, I felt it was too strong. A nice classic scent though.

Here's another thought for OP: I think that more traditionally "masculine" fragrances are worn by men who already have established a solid degree of authority or accomplishment. Mature and masculine fragrance tend to be extremely bold and at times, even challenging for some people. A young man starting out in the market can't really afford to ruffle any feathers wearing too bold a fragrance. You don't want to make a bad impression with your boss or co-workers. Once you get some status and you're higher up the ladder, when you're perceived as being "essential," that's when you can start strutting a bit and wearing more distinctive, assertive fragrances. Of course, if the office still has strict rules about fragrance or if you're aware that you're constantly surrounded by sensitive noses, then it's best chose as subtle and understated fragrance as possible or none at all.

Maybe to get off on the right foot, just start out picking some good deodorants and aftershaves. That way any mature scent you want to go with, it stays pretty close to the skin and nobody will noticed it unless they get really close to you.

Speedstick "Fresh" has a mature scent to it, something green, musky but also fresh. A cleaner version of Polo and Tsar.
Gillette Cool Wave has a fresh/mossy scent very evocative of Lacoste Original an old school men's fragrance. For me, the deodorant is like a close-to-the-skin EDT.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
@Toxicon
Really good advice.
Speedstick "Fresh" has a mature scent to it, something green, musky but also fresh. A cleaner version of Polo and Tsar.
Thanks, Hugh.

That's interesting about Speedstick Fresh - I wore that exclusively for ages and always loved the scent. Only stopped wearing it after a formula change reduced its ability to fight the funk. Never made the connection to existing frags at the time, but it makes me want to go back and revisit Polo and Tsar!

claireastro

Mar 25, 2021
I think terre d'Hermes is an excelent choice !
The strength of citrus fruits and peppers combined with a note of flint reveal the trace of earth.
Olfactory emotion: Spicy, Dry
Main raw materials: Grapefruit, Cedar, Flint

i love it !!!

Latest News