You favorite Hermes fragrance and why?

Oslo-Fjord

Aug 27, 2008
My top 5.

1. Terre d'hermes pure parfume. I love the fresh, dirty orange, over a deep woody base. Great as a signature scent.
2. Ambre Narguile. Warm, spicy, cozy. Very unique and sophisticated
3. Epice Marine. A marine scent with spicy notes. I love the rosted cumin here! Both fresh and dirty.
4. Equipage Geranium. A very successful remake of a legendary classic. It's even better than the original! Blended to perfection by master J.C. Ellena.
5. Terre d'hermes eau tres fraiche. A very nice spring/summer version of Terre. Fresh and bitter, with the typical "dirty" J.C Ellena signature.

Man Of The World

Apr 3, 2017
My top 5.

1. Terre d'hermes pure parfume. I love the fresh, dirty orange, over a deep woody base. Great as a signature scent.
2. Ambre Narguile. Warm, spicy, cozy. Very unique and sophisticated
3. Epice Marine. A marine scent with spicy notes. I love the rosted cumin here! Both fresh and dirty.
4. Equipage Geranium. A very successful remake of a legendary classic. It's even better than the original! Blended to perfection by master J.C. Ellena.
5. Terre d'hermes eau tres fraiche. A very nice spring/summer version of Terre. Fresh and bitter, with the typical "dirty" J.C Ellena signature.

Nice choices!!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
From all the Hermes I've tried.... Terre d'Hermes EdT or Parfum, maybe the EdT since I've acquired it. Have had the Parfum for a while longer.

As to why... I just like... love them. Different, not typical, just a great smell to me.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Eau d'Hermes - by far, because it's a masterpiece by Roudnitska, that englobes most of what I'm looking for in a fragrance: spices, citrus and leather, that will give an elegant presence, but keeping things airy, never cloying. Timeless.

Also love: Equipage, Equipage Geranium, Bel-Ami Vetiver and Eau de Cologne (rebranded as Eau d'Orange Verte)
Also like: Bel-Ami, Rocabar, TdH Eau Intense Vetiver, Voyage EDT, Galop, Epice Marine, Santal Massoia, Iris Ukiyoe, Cuir d'Ange
Just ok: TdH Parfum, Vetiver Tonka, Agar Ebene, Ambre Narguile, Voyage EDP, Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
To answer the thread question, hard for me to pick a favourite. I like most things from Hermes, they have an understated elegance that I have come to appreciate over the years. Their compositions are for the most part complex, refined, abstract and smell good. In particular I like these very much -

Epice Marine
Vetiver Tonka
Cuir d'Ange
Ambre Narguile
Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
Bel Ami Vetiver
Equipage Geranium
Terre d'Hermes Parfum

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Eau d'Hermes - by far, because it's a masterpiece by Roudnitska, that englobes most of what I'm looking for in a fragrance: spices, citrus and leather, that will give an elegant presence, but keeping things airy, never cloying. Timeless.

^^ This, for those reasons. Except I don't think 'englobes' is an actual word.

Also: Osmanthe Yunnan, because it smells like a living osmanthus tree.

Despite their wide variety, there's a kind of 'house ethic' to Hermes scents, but not in the way that Guerlains share their common bases, or the way Chanels have their abstract florals and sandalwood foundations. With Hermes, its like the scents all behave within an agreed-upon set of boundaries. No Hermes scent ever shouts at you.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019

Despite their wide variety, there's a kind of 'house ethic' to Hermes scents, but not in the way that Guerlains share their common bases, or the way Chanels have their abstract florals and sandalwood foundations. With Hermes, its like the scents all behave within an agreed-upon set of boundaries. No Hermes scent ever shouts at you.

I'd agree with this. Even Bel Ami is subdued.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018

Agreed. Hermes scents are all well-behaved, but clearly present. It is well known that the most important person in a room is the one who talks the least!

Also: yes, 'to englobe' exists, look HERE. :coolold:

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum. Both still pretty good - the touch of 'flint' with the citrus was an original touch . . . nothing like it out there, really.

Vetiver Tonka - I always have a small bottle with me when I fly (which hasn't been much this last 18 months. It's a comfort scent, also good in winter.

Osmanthe Yunnan. I like Osmanthus and this one is a good rendition along with the slightly smoky tea note.

Ambre Narguille - a fun Christmas scent for me (along with Lutens Arabie).

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Epice Marine is often said to be the high-end version of Declaration... which is often said to be an homage to Eau d'Hermes... you HAVE to try Eau d'Hermes if you love Epice Marine!!

Not really (regarding 'high-end' version). It's a slightly different idea, where the woody notes of Declaration are toned down so that the spices are in full view, and an interesting vague aquatic note added. My description makes it sound much less exciting than it is. It's an amazing scent in cold weather.

I've tried Eau d'Hermes and liked it a lot. I've had it twice. Once I had a current bottle around 2015 that I parted with as I was moving. Later I had a vintage 'copper top' in 2017 that I also parted with, as I marginally preferred the 2015 version (clear cap).

Eau d'Hermes is the most fertile idea in the history of perfumery. Bel Ami (+flankers), Declaration (+flankers), Terre d'Hermes(+flankers), Bigarade Concentree, Fetish pour Homme, Puredistance M, Epice Marine, Anatole Lebron Grimoire, Miller Harris La Fumee and to an extent Francesca Bianchi's Etruscan Water are all linked directly to that accord of citrus and cumin.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Eau d'Hermes is the most fertile idea in the history of perfumery.

Debatable, but I take your point.

And yet, Eau d'Hermes is not a big seller for Hermes, nor something you frequently encounter in the wild. But clearly Hermes recognizes what a historical milestone it is for them, since they're always issuing commemorative bottles and engraved limited editions to celebrate its history. Which is more than almost any other house can say.

Beck

May 13, 2014
Terre d'Hermes EDT & Parfum. Both still pretty good - the touch of 'flint' with the citrus was an original touch . . . nothing like it out there, really.

Vetiver Tonka - I always have a small bottle with me when I fly (which hasn't been much this last 18 months. It's a comfort scent, also good in winter.

Osmanthe Yunnan. I like Osmanthus and this one is a good rendition along with the slightly smoky tea note.

Ambre Narguille - a fun Christmas scent for me (along with Lutens Arabie).
You’re back! You should come here more often Sir.

Latest News