Ylang ylang fragrance recommendations?

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
I've been searching for a fragrance for women (or unisex) with strong ylang ylang notes to test out. Preferably one that has great longevity. I am willing to look in any price range and both designer or niche.

I love the smell of ylang ylang in scented candles and incense and am curious as to how it would wear on me in a fragrance. It isn't the type of scent I usually go for to wear but I want to branch out (and own at least one fragrance that is different from my usuals). Thanks to anyone who can make a good suggestion!

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
I get a good deal of ylang from Annick Goutal Songes, and also from some blends like Bruno Acampora's Blu and Jasmin. Also, Estee Lauder Private Collection had Amber Ylang-Ylang, but I think it was discontinued. You might find it on an auction site.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I second Le Labo Ylang (it's a NY store, so you're lucky). A realistic, steamy ylang.

And as others were saying, Chanel no 5 actually has a lot of ylang ylang in its base.

cacio

Larimar

Apr 23, 2010
I personally had the strongest and truest ylang ylang (the essential oils I am referring to) association with Guerlain Vega, unfortunately now discontinued but less sought after I think.

gimmegreen

Apr 20, 2012
Guerlain's Acqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanille is my go to ylang. It is discontinued but sellers like Universal perfumes (where I got my bottle) had it for a reasonable price a while ago.
Le Labo's offering is a wonderful perfume but it doesn't have the ylang perfume oil scent you seem to be craving. Still well worth testing.
Micallef's Ylang in Gold is worth testing - it has a true ylang note but I found it a bit wanting in it's trail.
One to avoid is Caron's My Ylang.
(I've done reviews of all of the above as have others - worth taking a look.)

Agree that Nahema and Chanel No 5 have little to do with ylang.

Darvant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2010
To quote several: Bruno Acampora Blu, Le Labo Ylang 49, Mona di Orio Vanilia, Gentleman Secret Arabian Oud, Guerlain Samsara, Ylang in Gold by Micallef.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
Seconding Larimar re: Guerlain Véga. It is not only discontinued but very hard to find. At this moment on Ebay, there is exactly one item, outrageously priced. still, it is lush and wonderful if you can find it. Wish I could be helpful about something in production. In fact, I'll have to go hunting when the last of my Veega is gone.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I noticed a difference between No 5 made in the USA and the one we get in Canada, which comes from France. To my nose, while they both feature rose and jasmine, the edt and parfum in the American version is heavier on the powder and aldehydes. The French stock has a more pronounced ylang ylang note (which is a note I love). Not so much the edp, which is more blatant rose.

Brian_Towers

It's all about the drydown!
Basenotes Plus
Aug 3, 2010
Do those candles/incense smell fruity/tropical or rather powdery and sophisticated?

For the latter, Ophelia by Heeley and Enlevement au Serail (MDCI) are the best ylang-ylang dominated fragrances I tried.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
Do those candles/incense smell fruity/tropical or rather powdery and sophisticated?

For the latter, Ophelia by Heeley and Enlevement au Serail (MDCI) are the best ylang-ylang dominated fragrances I tried.

Very powdery and sophisticated, the kind of scent that you either love or hate... An acquired taste in a way, I'd say. I'm (typically) not into fruity/tropical scents though open to smelling anything at least once; you'd be surprised what you end up liking sometimes.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
I second Le Labo Ylang (it's a NY store, so you're lucky). A realistic, steamy ylang.

And as others were saying, Chanel no 5 actually has a lot of ylang ylang in its base.

cacio

I smelt Le Labo's Ylang 49 today but since I was already wearing fragrance, I didn't try it on my skin since I didn't want to compromise the scent. It's very interesting... I have thoughts about it but I'm not quite sure what yet. I'm going back this week to actually try it on my skin and see if I want to get a full bottle.

Sadly they didn't have any samples of it.

gimmegreen

Apr 20, 2012
Another one that comes to mind is Perris Monte Carlo's Ylang Nosy Be - I haven't tried it myself but the few reviews about claim it is strong on ylang.

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
Ylang-Ylang and Calendula deodorant by Schmidtt's is suprisingly nice, a cool fresh floral scent. If you want a very affordable option...

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
As an extremely affordable, yet not cheap quality nor generic rendition of Ylang Ylang, always liked this particular note in the body spray by the fragrance house Bourjois named "Deshabillez Moi".

With apologies of being slightly off-topic, since this reply is not fully a "proper" fragrance recommendation, still considering that this low cost yet unexpectedly well-crafted alternative can still be used as comparison/benchmark for more upscale designer or niche Ylang Ylang fragrance purchases and, why not, also for layering experiments.

slniecko

May 19, 2013
Songes, AA Ylang and Vanille, Ylang in Gold, Amber Ylang-Ylang are beautiful.
And recently is my Ylang favorit Fleur des Fleurs by Une Nuit á Bali.

CocoFlanker

Dec 3, 2015
i am currently into Coco Mademoiselle EDP as for the ylang ylang note, but Id also recommend Acqua Allegoria Ylang Vanille, Guerlain; Diorissimo and J´adore, of course... maybe the extraits, and A Scent by Issey Miyake.

ComDiva

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2006
Another vote for Samsara, Lancome Sikkim, and also Carnal Flower, though it's a bit of an acquired taste. I do find that ylang is often paired with tuberose (which I love) and gardenia (which my skin cannot abide), so they tend to get melded a bit in many fragrances.

Some others to (perhaps) try that I have not but I want to: Emotionelle by Parfums Delrae, Exotic Ylan by 40 notes, and another vote for Hednic's Ivohibe 15 recommendations.

I love Neil Morris Fragrances Prowl, which has Ylang, but also lots of other rich notes, so if you're going for a ylang focused fragrance, maybe not, but it's sexy as anything.

Good luck in your search! Please let us know what you land on...

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
Was surprised to see my old thread resurrected!

I still need to sample the Le Labo more. I did try it once, but it was so long ago I forgot my thoughts on it.

Songes is currently on my to buy list and I plan on getting it within the next few weeks.

Also bought Prowl by Neil Morris.

On a side note, laughing forever how back then I thought I wasn't super into florals. They are some of my favorites now!!

the blood on 530 27

Dec 5, 2016
Was surprised to see my old thread resurrected!

Thanks to your thread, I too tried some fascinating Ylang-themed perfume.

However it seems like people has forgotten to mention Ylang Ylang by Lorenzo Villoresi.

This is the most "realistic" presentation of Ylang I've ever tried. By "realistic" I don't mean it's a literal translation of the real flower, since I never smelt one; but it has added so many details to the scent, to make it looks like the real thing.

Except for the usual slightly sweet, coconut-creamy aspect of ylang, I got the typical "banana"/"nail polish remover" scent, a tiny bad odor which remind me of real lily flower, and an even tinier hint of eugenol ("clove").

It's an interesting to compare APOM pour femme by MFK with Lorezo Velloresi's work. They're both orange flower+ylang perfumes, but rendered in quite different styles.

APOM has trimed all the "unpleasant" details of real plants, but didn't amputate them too much so we can still recogonize who is who. Lorenzo Velloresi is more "natural"-smelling, APOM is more "perfume-y", more wearable. But they're both excellent work.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Nahema for me is rose and No 5 rose and jasmine.

Donna, do you have the same impression for all concentrations of No 5? While it is basically rose and jasmine (and aldehydes), once past that it does have a good dose of ylang ylang. However I find the ylang ylang note more prevalent in the parfum and edt; it’s kind of drowned out in the edp.

Latest News