Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy: A Few Questions

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
Hello all,

I smelled Xeryus Rouge not that long ago while fragrance shopping out at the mall. I really liked how it smelled on the card, I did not spray it on myself though as I was saving that for the Bond No. 9 line. I am interested in buying a full bottle of this one soon. But I do have a few questions!

1. Is it better in it's vintage formulation?
2. How similar is it to Polo Red Intense, if at all? (Which I own, upon initial smell I definitely smelled fruits that I smell in Polo.)
3. I am having trouble identifying vintage versus current bottles; upon doing a search I am seeing different designed bottles for different sizes and formulations. So can someone tell me which bottle design is vintage and which is current?

Many thanks!

hednic

Oct 25, 2007

Many thanks!
IMO, Yes,

I believe this is the earliest bottle:
$%28KGrHqV,%21g8F%21UDOnmDDBQZe5tb6d%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Rüssel

Dec 23, 2010
Is the picture hednic posted what you mean by are deco? Sorry, I have heard the term before, just haven't known what it's illustration looked like.

Yep. The new bottle looks like this
41GnTpPUrXL._AC_SL115_.jpg

I've only smelled the old version. It's one of the few sweet scents that I still enjoy, simply as it smells quite unusual.

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014

I have both the original and reformulated version. I call them XRv1 and XRv2.

I made it a purpose to do a side by side on 3 separate occasions. At first, I wore the reformulation alone and I thought the reformulation had this metallic cloying vibe. Now after 3 months of wearing both, I still find the tinging metallic vibe in XRv2.

Is Xeryus Rouge reformulated? Yes. Is it as horrendous and foul as the majority claim? No. Is it as good as the original juice? No.

The differences?
On the side by side, I noticed the pimento is the star in XRv2 and it is less sweet than the original formulation. XRv2 projects much more than the original XRv1. The red berry accords are much more present in XRv1 and the pimento provides a nice backdrop. XRv2 projects much better than the original XRv1.

They both have the fresh, juicy opening. And they also have the lovely, creamy sweet sandalwood and sultry musk dry-down.

The only differences are the heartnotes.

2. How similar is it to Polo Red Intense, if at all? (Which I own, upon initial smell I definitely smelled fruits that I smell in Polo.)

Not at all. P.Red is a super sweet, dark coffee fragrance to my nose. It's not similar to XRv1 or XRv2 at all.

3. I am having trouble identifying vintage versus current bottles; upon doing a search I am seeing different designed bottles for different sizes and formulations. So can someone tell me which bottle design is vintage and which is current?

XRv1 comes in tall, vertically rectangular bottles (like hednic posted).

XRv2 comes in the shorter apothecary-esque square bottle.

All-in-all, I prefer the vintage. It's sweeter and the red berry accords are absolutely juicy and tantalizing. XRv2 is less sweet and more a powdery spicy from the pimento.

Stay camped out on eBay. I just picked up a 90% used XRv1 bottle with aftershave for $30!

Last edited:

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
I have both the original and reformulated version. I call them XRv1 and XRv2.

I made it a purpose to do a side by side on 3 separate occasions. At first, I wore the reformulation alone and I thought the reformulation was "metallic" and had some weird cloying effect. However, I realized this was my mind falling for the dramatic statements about the reformulation.

Is Xeryus Rouge reformulated? Yes. Is it as horrendous and foul as the majority claim? No.

The differences?
On the side by side, I noticed the pimento is the star in XRv2 and it is less sweet than the original formulation. XRv2 projects much more than the original XRv1. The red berry accords are much more present in XRv1 and the pimento provides a nice backdrop. XRv2 projects much better than the original XRv1.

They both have the fresh, juicy opening. And they also have the lovely, creamy sweet sandalwood and sultry musk dry-down.

The only differences are the heartnotes.

Not at all. P.Red is a super sweet, dark coffee fragrance to my nose. It's not similar to XRv1 or XRv2 at all.

XRv1 comes in tall, vertically rectangular bottles (like hednic posted).

XRv2 comes in the shorter apothecary-esque square bottle.

All-in-all, I prefer the vintage. It's sweeter and the red berry accords are absolutely juicy and tantalizing. XRv2 is less sweet and more a powdery spicy from the pimento.

Stay camped out on eBay. I just picked up a 90% used XRv1 bottle with aftershave for $30!

Thank you for this, xoxoMyke! I will definitely keep my eyes on eBay. So far I see 50mL unused for $45.

DerangedGoose

Jan 27, 2009
How does the current formulation compare in terms of longevity? The vintage is one of the few all-season fresh fragrances that will last an easy 8 hours or more.

I usually recommend people to pick up the vintage while its still cheap ($40 and under), but the 5oz oversized bottles of the current version are tempting

JakeStiebs

Smell Good, Feel Good
Basenotes Plus
Dec 26, 2010
How does the current formulation compare in terms of longevity? The vintage is one of the few all-season fresh fragrances that will last an easy 8 hours or more.

I usually recommend people to pick up the vintage while its still cheap ($40 and under), but the 5oz oversized bottles of the current version are tempting

I have found 100 mL on eBay starting around $32.

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014

Both the longevity and projection are bigger in XRv2.

I have found 100 mL on eBay starting around $32.

That's a very good price! I see one that's ending in 7 hours for $35 (no box). That's a superb price!

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
When they were transitioning the bottles from tall rectangular to short square, my guess is that Givenchy thought, "Hey, Pimento is the unique note in this fragrance... let's ramp it up so it's the star!"

That's just my guess.

Preston H

Mar 13, 2012
The first version was better. This one is more chemical and the notes seem less sharp than the original. Had them both. Loved the original, this one is ok but not the same

xoxoMyke

May 1, 2014
About how much bigger do you think?

I can always "feel" XRv2. I spray it two times - front of my neck and at the nape of my neck - I smell it all through the work day and in to the evening with supper.

I don't "feel" or smell XRv1 if I spray it the same way. So I usually add one to each wrist and one more to the front of my neck. Which is unfortunate since it's much harder to come by!

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
I have the reformulated version. My wife hates it. I don't wear it very often. I like the idea of this juice, but so far it's been a near-complete fail for me. At least the red bottle looks good on my shelf. Enjoyment falls off quickly after that.

xaml

May 17, 2018
I have both the original and reformulated version.
I might have appreciated some additional sweetness but the prices for the first version currently are inflated. If I were to order this fragrance then it would be the reformulated version. I have two questions about this fragrance. Is there an intense redness about it or is that once again a marketing hook and more of a transparent green due to the wet cactus flesh? Also, even though I am not sure if you tried this one out, are there similarities to "Fatale Intense" by Agent Provocateur? I find its anise and pimento to be bland and annoying frankly and I am concerned that the cactus flesh and pimento in this one might head into such a direction.

Staff online

Latest News