Xerjoff Nio - Completely Addicted

MFfan310

Jun 19, 2004
I've been wearing fragrances since 2001. And recently, I had heard the hype regarding Xerjoff Nio. So I ordered a bottle. Blind. And paid extra for FedEx Express shipping.

Well, this fragrance blew me away. The last time I was this addicted to a fragrance was Straight to Heaven in 2008. But the more I wore Nio, the more addicted I was to it, and the more I realized why Nio is considered the holy grail of citrus fragrances. Nio is probably the most unique fragrance I have sniffed in a while. It starts out on my skin with a very natural citrus, then evolves into leafy green midnotes, and has the ultimate base for a citrus - a spicy, dry woods and vetiver. Versatile, easy to wear, and very unique. Lasts all day as well - which is great for a guy where Eau Sauvage doesn't even last four hours.

(Yes, this review is for the new packaging - which I must add is as breathtaking as the scent itself.)

Now, I'm anxious to try other fragrances in the Xerjoff line - especially Uden. Even better, I convinced a local men's store owner to consider selling Xerjoff, and it's likely given that he wants to beef up his store's fragrance selection. So soon, I'll just have to go to the other side of town to sniff the others.

Valier

Aug 11, 2016
If you like Nio you may like Bergamust by Gallagher Fragrances. Same bergamot with a little extra orange blossom, I think it's funner to wear as well!

espresso.

Nov 7, 2013
Now, I'm anxious to try other fragrances in the Xerjoff line - especially Uden.
Uden is 99% Chanel Allure Blanche. You can save the excitement for some other fragrance.

I remember being excited about smelling Uden after reading the notes and comments but the fragrance was in front of my nose the whole time - Allure Blanche.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
Uden is 99% Chanel Allure Blanche. You can save the excitement for some other fragrance.

I remember being excited about smelling Uden after reading the notes and comments but the fragrance was in front of my nose the whole time - Allure Blanche.

Uden doesn't smell anything like Allure Blanche. Allure maybe, but not Blanche. At least in my opinion...

Anyway, OP: I'm glad you're enjoying it! NIo is great. The moment I smelled it I put 5 other citrus fragrances that I owned up for sale, including Dior Homme Cologne and Petit Matin. It rendered them secondary. Unnecessary. I knew that I had found the holy grail citrus. And it still is. I have a few other citrus scents that I use for variety but Nio is really the king. There are only 2 other citrus scents that I feel compete with it: 1) Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone: It gives it a run for its money in the beginning but ultimately loses in the dry down (where Nio shines) and 2) Acqua Viva: This is on par with Nio, quality wise. It's an amazing scent, but it's pure lemon, where Nio is more of a citrus blend, which makes Nio much more wearable imo, as Acqua Viva will leave you smelling like the fruit itself.

Did you get a 50ml bottle or a 100ml? The 100's are hard to find these days. I'm going to need one soon, as my 50 is rapidly running out.

Now if only I could find a holy grail in each of the other 15 or 20 categories of scents, I might be able to get my wardrobe down to about 20.

Uvalde

Apr 26, 2013
Uden doesn't smell anything like Allure Blanche. Allure maybe, but not Blanche. At least in my opinion...

I was going to say the same thing -- I don't find them remotely the same, not even in the same universe. But the reviews are full of Blanche comparisons, so lots of people are picking that up, somehow...

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
Nio is the best of that type for sure.

There are several other excellent Xerjoffs, some of which are also the best of their style (Alexandria II, Wabar, and Fars) IMO.

Congrats on finally experiencing Nio!

wilfred

Jan 13, 2016
generally i prefer my citrus on the fruity side but this is so damn realistic and beast on performance. real classic, it's like bottled, green sunshine, if such a thing was possible.

love 1861 too.

Dandydude

Sep 26, 2015

Funny how we all interpret things differently. I find Uden to be very nice and nothing like Allure Blanche.
I really enjoy Nio as well.
Kobe is my favorite offering from the house and I would also, highly recommend, checking out Oroville

Mr Envy

Nov 25, 2012
Sometimes I’m confused that so many people love a scent I hate, then times like these I’m constantly confused what people are picking up that makes them so in love with a scent that I found...plain.

I love citrus fragrances, I love a clean/fresh scent but I just don’t find Nio that special and if I ever get around to finishing my bottle it will be one of the rare times I don’t get a 2nd. It’s so strange that the type of fragrance I enjoy the most and I just can’t get what the majority of people seem to love about it. I feel like it wouldn’t even make my top 10 citrus fragrances

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
I was going to say the same thing -- I don't find them remotely the same, not even in the same universe. But the reviews are full of Blanche comparisons, so lots of people are picking that up, somehow...

Well, that's good.

The last time I told somebody "Scent X" doesn't smell like "Scent Y" I was called a "hater" and it was then suggested that my poor attitude was due to a lack of love from my family and friends during the holidays, and that I could keep on believing my precious little scent was unique but to first check the Fragrantica reviews which contradict my opinion and that belittling people didn't suit me well and to have a nice life.

Because I said 'X' doesn't smell like 'Y.'

ziffy321

Dec 20, 2004
Now, I'm anxious to try other fragrances in the Xerjoff line

I absolutely LOVE Nio along with Kobe and Ivory Route. I will say I've sniffed most of the others in the line and while some were very good, nothing blew me away like these 3 and for the prices they charge couldn't justify any other purchases.

But yes .. Nio is amazing and works just as well in the cold weather as the warm.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Uden doesn't smell anything like Allure Blanche. Allure maybe, but not Blanche. At least in my opinion.

I was going to say the same thing -- I don't find them remotely the same, not even in the same universe.

+1. Completely unfathomable to me also.

Glad to hear someone else is enjoying Nio :thumbsup:. Sampled a great many from Xerjoff (and purchased quite a few) but Nio still remains the favourite. Hugely versatile citrus with absolutely stellar performance.
Also recommend checking out Ibitira (stunning under the radar Florentine Iris - do not be deterred by the female marketing).

Last edited:

espresso.

Nov 7, 2013

+1. Completely unfathomable to me also.

Now this is strange.
The guy who sold me Uden later said he originally got it because he was not satisfied with Allure Blanche's performance and because this was basically Blanche on steroids.

I didn't know this and only realized similarity after smelling Uden for the first time. I was disappointed as I had been using Allure Blanche heavily the whole time and didn't need anything similar.

And finally, several perfume enthusiasts on Fragrantica in Serbian are also pointing out the similarity. 4 out of 6 reviews actually compare it directly to Allure Blanche (as in they smell very similar).

Last edited:

papillo

Aug 23, 2010
Now this is strange.
The guy who sold me Uden later said he originally got it because he was not satisfied with Allure Blanche's performance and because this was basically Blanche on steroids.

I didn't know this and only realized similarity after smelling Uden for the first time. I was disappointed as I had been using Allure Blanche heavily the whole time and didn't need anything similar.

And finally, several perfume enthusiasts on Fragrantica in Serbian are also pointing out the similarity. 4 out of 6 reviews actually compare it directly to Allure Blanche (as in they smell very similar).

There is nothing strange and a lot of people find them similar. You are most certainly not alone.

Now, I'm anxious to try other fragrances in the Xerjoff line - especially Uden.
Definitely keep an open mind and try as many as you can from the Xerjoff line. Some people try a sliver and write off the house on a whole. Some of their exclusives are stunning. Good luck.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
Now this is strange.

Since I've sold off both I unfortunately can't sniff them side by side. In my memory, they are nothing alike, and nothing every caused me to make that connection during my time owning and using both. But who knows, maybe the next time I try them I'll see the similarity.

I DID however find Uden similar in some ways to Allure, the regular version. But I don't find Blanche similar to Allure in anyway either. Lol. So who knows. It's definitely something I'd like to test out in the future, just for the hell of it.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah,

I'm afraid to buy Nio. It's a scent I fear because it's clean citrus+neroli remind me of Neroli Portofino/4711 while the vetiver played in it reminds me a tad of Original Vetiver (IMO, more clean and light like Mugler Cologne's vibe) and the citrus, so clean that nothing compares. If I owned it, I would likely not reach for some of my favorite summer scents that have similar notes. Nio just does all those notes 'perfectly' where the other scents that share those notes feel cheap by comparison...even the niche ones. That's why it's scary. It's the kind of fragrance that prompts you to sell some off of your collection. I don't want to go there.

Beck

May 13, 2014
I wasn't expecting to like it hence the hype and I was surprised. Not unique, but very good. I like Renaissance better.

boosh

Mar 1, 2010
I'm getting a wonderful marriage between strong sharp citrus and slightly sweet green - the sharp and the sweet almost cancel each other out to create a very very nice traditional cologne, but with strength and projection.

boosh

Mar 1, 2010
I found Nio a bit too bitter for me, but I own and love Kobe. Great summer scent.

Will have to try that. I've sampled Mefisto and Nio, and whilst both are very good quality fragrances, neither have WOWed me. For the price I would need to be WOWed.

morrison74

Jan 14, 2010
Nio is on my test list. Really dig Fiero, Richwood, Kobe, 1861 and Uden from this house. Lovely fragrances, great longevity, scary prices.

Last edited:

kiton

Oct 26, 2016
How is the sillage/duration on this scent.

I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for a true gem, but I hate to see it gone after 1/2 hours

Tradition

Apr 18, 2016
I found Nio very similar to Crown Perfumery’s discontinued Eau de Quinine.

The similarities were pretty obvious, I wonder if others also find them similar.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016

This is why I haven't bought it. I need to be able to still use several of the scents I own or it would be a waste to have bought them. Nio effectively has so many clean notes that other fragrances share, but has presented them separately so from one moment to the next I smell something similar to one of my other fragrances that uses that main note.

I think Xerjoff Nio is for people who want a very small collection of fragrances and this fragrance would nail a "fresh green citrus neroli" niche perfectly and would easily take the place of many fragrances on a shelf that any one enthusiast might own. I would also think that if you are trying to sell-off a collection and get down to a select number of great fragrances that stretch across boundaries, then Nio is what you are looking for as it can replace some vetiver and some citrus and some neroli fragrances all at the same time. And it replaces them neatly IMO. This is why I haven't put it in my collection. Because I have many scents that Nio vibes in shades with and I fear I would reach for Nio instead of some of my favorites in those areas. I would fear that I wouldn't use 4711/Neroli Portofino or Royal Water or Original Vetiver or my Catie's Bubbles Confiant or Terre d'Hermes and possibly even some wearing of Pour Monsieur could be threatened as well. I like all those fragrances individually, but Nio really effectively gives me vibes that satisfy all of those fragrances in most ways while just being a single fragrance.

So, if you're shopping for a limited collection or want to find a why to reduce your current collection down, then Nio could be what you're looking for. It's scary good/versatile stuff. I'm afraid to mess with it because of that reason.

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Glad you are enjoying it...I love Nio too. I had tried quite a few citrus scents and most had either weak longevity or were linear with little complexity. There are two other citrus scents you might explore, that I discovered in my various trials:

Cedrat Boise by Mancera. Also has excellent performance. I think slightly better longevity than Nio.

And if you like to explore vintage, then Eau de Rochas Homme (1993) by Rochas. I haven't particularly sought out vintage, but this was recommended to me, and they were right...it's a nice citrus with a strong green base. Very fresh and nice for spring.

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012

This is why I haven't bought it. I need to be able to still use several of the scents I own or it would be a waste to have bought them. Nio effectively has so many clean notes that other fragrances share, but has presented them separately so from one moment to the next I smell something similar to one of my other fragrances that uses that main note.

I think Xerjoff Nio is for people who want a very small collection of fragrances and this fragrance would nail a "fresh green citrus neroli" niche perfectly and would easily take the place of many fragrances on a shelf that any one enthusiast might own. I would also think that if you are trying to sell-off a collection and get down to a select number of great fragrances that stretch across boundaries, then Nio is what you are looking for as it can replace some vetiver and some citrus and some neroli fragrances all at the same time. And it replaces them neatly IMO. This is why I haven't put it in my collection. Because I have many scents that Nio vibes in shades with and I fear I would reach for Nio instead of some of my favorites in those areas. I would fear that I wouldn't use 4711/Neroli Portofino or Royal Water or Original Vetiver or my Catie's Bubbles Confiant or Terre d'Hermes and possibly even some wearing of Pour Monsieur could be threatened as well. I like all those fragrances individually, but Nio really effectively gives me vibes that satisfy all of those fragrances in most ways while just being a single fragrance.

So, if you're shopping for a limited collection or want to find a why to reduce your current collection down, then Nio could be what you're looking for. It's scary good/versatile stuff. I'm afraid to mess with it because of that reason.

Sounds perfect, but the price. Even a decant feels a bit rich for me for a fresh citrus scent.

boosh

Mar 1, 2010
Sounds perfect, but the price. Even a decant feels a bit rich for me for a fresh citrus scent.

It's a great scent to test. I'd recommend sampling. But, for me, the position in my wardrobe will be filled by Dior Homme Cologne.

MFfan310

Jun 19, 2004
It's a great scent to test. I'd recommend sampling. But, for me, the position in my wardrobe will be filled by Dior Homme Cologne.

Dior Homme Cologne and Nio are absolutely nothing alike. I’d say the former has a lot more in common with Mugler Cologne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilfred

Jan 13, 2016
works best in higher temps. great scent but a tad pricey. i say grab the old style bottles while you can still get a good deal...reforms are afoot in the xerjoff line.

Latest News