Worst fragrance I've ever encountered is...

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Adam Levine for Men - tropical fruity comes across like BO straight up.
English Leather ("made in X with oils from Y" version). Proper scrubber! Smells a bit like a minging hotel situated above a stir fry joint, caked with years of dust and human detritus. Smoke infused rattan furniture, with cracking layers of paint.

Shudder as I recall these !

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
There's a tie between two fragrances.

Rania J Oud Assam and Cuir Intense by Guerlain.

The former smells like sweaty, cheesey horse shit that's been set on fire, with a base of tonka. The latter is just a weird, abstract mess that is the strongest fragrance I've tried, to the point where it does not come off skin (let alone furnishing or clothing) despite multiple washes.

Borzoi

Nordandoft
Basenotes Plus
May 27, 2020
There's a tie between two fragrances.

Rania J Oud Assam and Cuir Intense by Guerlain.

The former smells like sweaty, cheesey horse shit that's been set on fire, with a base of tonka. The latter is just a weird, abstract mess that is the strongest fragrance I've tried, to the point where it does not come off skin (let alone furnishing or clothing) despite multiple washes.
I think Cuir Intense smells kind of good, but I definitely agree; it’s NUCLEAR.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I think Cuir Intense smells kind of good, but I definitely agree; it’s NUCLEAR.
I'm still dubious about whether the sample I tried was real or fake because, to me, it smelled atrocious and unwearable. So, Cuir Intense deserves an asterix next to its inclusion in this thread until I have definitive proof that I tried the real deal.

Borzoi

Nordandoft
Basenotes Plus
May 27, 2020
I'm still dubious about whether the sample I tried was real or fake because, to me, it smelled atrocious and unwearable. So, Cuir Intense deserves an asterix next to its inclusion in this thread until I have definitive proof that I tried the real deal.
To me it has some pretty nice peachy osmanthus and a little ylang, but generally it’s devoured by an absolutely massive glob of IBQ. It’s way too much for me to wear

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
I've done an 180 on rooty earthy scents recently, now i adore them. To me, Sycomore is earthy grass, and the colder sunny day air combined, as weird as that may sound
That definitely could happen. I did a 180 on Cartier Declaration, which I used to despise but now is an obsession.
On my skin, vetiver goes really strong and lasts forever. Bois d'Orage/French Lover is about as much as I can take and still enjoy.

PoeticScent

Basenotes Member
Jan 20, 2022
clean reserve lush fleur...i bought it cuz on the strip the initial whiff was really refreshing and i'm like ya i need one of those but 2 seconds after you put it on it goes to a powdery soapy finish (and stays that way).

some poweders are nice but a suffocating powedery soap is not

i need to return it (which makes me want to ask, if the store that you got your perfume allows refunds -sephora- do you feel bad doing it)

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
Certainly not the worst, but one of the latest ones which really grabbed my attention - in a negative way:

Philipp Plein - No Limits

I've got a free sample of it with one of my fragrance orders.
Sprayed it on a paper strip and woaaaah... this is a real stinker, a fruity-sweet-leathery chemical mess! o_O

It projected off the paper strip like crazy, the whole room stunk so I ripped the strip into pieces and threw it into the toilet after 15 minutes and opened the windows.
There was no other way around.

I'm still debating with myself if I need to experience that "fragrance" a second time, just out of curiousity... :geek:

Oh and please take a look at the super tacky bottle! :ROFLMAO:

Philipp Plein No Limits.jpg

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Certainly not the worst, but one of the latest ones which really grabbed my attention - in a negative way:

Philipp Plein - No Limits

I've got a free sample of it with one of my fragrance orders.
Sprayed it on a paper strip and woaaaah... this is a real stinker, a fruity-sweet-leathery chemical mess! o_O

It projected off the paper strip like crazy, the whole room stunk so I ripped the strip into pieces and threw it into the toilet after 15 minutes and opened the windows.
There was no other way around.

I'm still debating with myself if I need to experience that "fragrance" a second time, just out of curiousity... :geek:

Oh and please take a look at the super tacky bottle! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 182000
Not sure why, but I would have expected that haha

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Adding to the Trash heap is every offering from

o.2741.jpg

Everything I had the misfortune of smelling was bad and some to the point of being headache inducing.

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
But it's from the master perfumer Alberto Morillas! :D

Alberto's work is quite fascinating, a variaty from total crap up to amazing fragrances.
I would be very interested in reading the briefing he got from Philipp Plein. :ROFLMAO:
Morillas is the 'head' of the lab. Truth is that he has 50 perfumers and student perfumers working for him. And also, the service is not the same depending of the client. According to what a client is ready to pay, they will use new aromachemicals or not, and start from scratch or from bases they already made in the past. Budget for ingredients plays a lot, also.
I just can't stand earthy vetivers. There, I said it.
Amen, brother. I’m not a fan, either.
Booooh boooooh booooooh 👎👎👎;)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I've tried a fair share of bad fragrances, but the most offensive one I've ever smelled would have to be Secretions Magnifique.

MikeJ

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 18, 2012
Versace Dreamer. That's one I was never able to get into. Gives me a headache every time I smell it.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Versace Dreamer. That's one I was never able to get into. Gives me a headache every time I smell it.
It's a strange beast, indeed. I had a bottle, and can remember how I each time struggled to bear it in the first 1-2 hours :) Then it changed and became a really enjoyable great scent. At none other scent have I ever experienced such a difference between the stages.

MikeJ

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 18, 2012
It's a strange beast, indeed. I had a bottle, and can remember how I each time struggled to bear it in the first 1-2 hours :) Then it changed and became a really enjoyable great scent. At none other scent have I ever experienced such a difference between the stages.
I recall a handful of people saying "wait for the dry down." It just never developed into a scent that I enjoyed. Could just be an incompatibility with my skin chemistry, though.

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
Morillas is the 'head' of the lab. Truth is that he has 50 perfumers and student perfumers working for him.

Yes, I've seen documentaries about him and his work.
But in the end he puts his name under the creations so he's responsible for it.
I'm pretty sure that he has smelled that Philipp Plein fragrance before it was released and at least gave his "ok". :D

Latest News