Work Hard, Play Hard: a case for separating a fragrance wardrobe in two. Agree/disagree?

Splitting a wardrobe in to formal and informal:

• Yes, I categorise fragrances in to formal and informal

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No, I group all my fragrances together and do not consider them to be specifically informal/formal

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
In trying to settle on a small number of fragrances, I've often found myself frustrated by how unserious or unprofessional so many modern fragrances smell. Perhaps this is a little bit of personal bias or high standards coming in, but I dislike the idea of a fragrance being out of place, so to speak, even if it advertises itself as the sort of fragrance a modern man should wear in a formal or professional setting.

It's been interesting to see what people wear to work. On that basis, I'd imagine I'm probably going to be in the minority here. However, after trying very hard to stick to a set number of fragrances for the last few years (4-5), after getting rid of Beau de Jour (for being too ambery, too sickly and modern in the base) at the end of last year, I'm starting to give up on this and aim for something else instead. And that is to basically split a fragrance wardrobe in two and have a small number of casual/informal fragrances, and then a similar number of scents for professional and formal occasions.

I'd be interested to see if other people do this, or what you think about it in general? Obviously for people with collections in the double figuers, this is probably meaningless - eventually, past a certain point, a collection will cover enough ground for this sort of thing to be an irrelevant concern. But when I was trying to restrict myself to 4, I found myself constantly wearing scents that didn't quite work or feel particularly comfortable: Oud Minerale was too dark/dank to wear day to day like you might a fresher designer aquatic, Fleurs de Cedrat didn't really work as a fresh cologne to wear to work as it doesn't last an hour. By trying to fit numerous elements of perfume - scent, colour, season, type, notes etc - in to a 4 bottle collection, I found I couldn't balance this all out and still cover the informal/formal divide.

So I reckon it makes more sense to just split things in two. One for play, and one for work. It might be 4 for each, I don't know, I'm not too bothered about that as I reckon I'll work that out as I go. But I think the principle of splitting a wardrobe in two makes sense considering the frustration I've been met with. Even if it's 3 for each, for example, you can end up with 3 standard, traditional, sensible, reliable fragrances for work or for formal events that align with existing categories: a citrus aromatic, a fougere, and chypre; respectively, yellows and whites with a dash of green, a different herbal-floral greenery with the fougere, and then a more orange/brown warmer labdanum-moss from the chypre. For example. Or for a more modern wardrobe, add in a purple floral type 'work' fragrance if you like them. Then for casual, I don't know, something like a really fresh basic scent linen/clean musk type Kurkdjian thing (or a cheap 'dumb grab'), a fresh sporty aquatic, and a warmer gourmand. You cover similar sort of territory, like they're mirrors of one another on the colour wheel, just doing different things/suitable in different settings. Now, again, I realise that based on what most people seem to wear to work (and the wide range of scents people wear casually) this may seem restrictive or overly categorical, but I like it.

And I wonder if anyone else does this or has any sympathy for this way of doing things? I do think the situational properties of a fragrance are often overstated, but the formal/informal one is probably the most important and one I have been most sensitive to through wearing fragrances over the last few years.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I can see where narrowing the choices by having two groups and only one to choose from, depending on the type of occasion, could simplify the selection process for those who do align scent with occasion.

In my approach to perfume, any scent can go with any occasion, as long as it’s what I feel good in and, as a result, there's nothing really to differentiate.

épaulement

Mar 5, 2022
These ideas of formality, dignity, and professionalism and how they can be understood in a fragrance are very interesting. But when people start talking about "fragrance wardrobes" that cover xyz situations like they are boxes to be ticked off I can't relate. Perfume is expressive, artistic, and personal for me. I don't think about what I wear in such a formulaic and boxed up way.

This is not a diss. I genuinely don't understand the reasoning... also it seems like it's always men who do this

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
I sort my fragrances into broad categories, and I choose what to wear depending on which facet of my personality I want to emphasize with my presentation.

1651795750161.png

For work, it would mostly be fragrances in my aloof category. This is because fragrance-free environments are becoming more and more normalized. I would want to wear something that doesn't necessarily register as a perfume to people around me. However, it wouldn't mean that I wouldn't wear those fragrances outside of work. It all really depends on which facet of my personality I want to emphasize.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I think i just know my fragrances. I sorted them out by similar vibe (leathers to leathers, gourmand and sweet together, etc) and out of those groups, i know exactly which ones are more formal and which ones might be too much.
Get yourself a bottle of Agar Ebene and itll be formal enough, as well as casual enough

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I don't separate fragrances between work and play, but I also tend to opt for versatility anyways.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I sort my fragrances into broad categories, and I choose what to wear depending on which facet of my personality I want to emphasize with my presentation.

View attachment 215227

For work, it would mostly be fragrances in my aloof category. This is because fragrance-free environments are becoming more and more normalized. I would want to wear something that doesn't necessarily register as a perfume to people around me. However, it wouldn't mean that I wouldn't wear those fragrances outside of work. It all really depends on which facet of my personality I want to emphasize.
That's great, I like this, very interesting. Thanks for sharing it. I totally agree that aloof would fit work/formal scenarios, and I suppose I'm going for something similar as well. Combined with elegant, ideally. And then casual would sexy and edgy in combination (sexy would be something like Layton, edgy Oud Minerale or a liturgical incense scent). So yeah, this is basically what I was intrigued to see if anyone else thought/categorised fragrances in this way.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Did Hawthorne give the inspiration for this thread? That's how they do their fragrances.

This would probably be beneficial for some, it could potentially help me to keep my fragrances better organized.
It didn't, no. General frustration inspired me haha. Maybe I'm being a goldilocks but I found I couldn't find balance between the two feelings and settings. Too formal for casual, too casual for formal.

These ideas of formality, dignity, and professionalism and how they can be understood in a fragrance are very interesting. But when people start talking about "fragrance wardrobes" that cover xyz situations like they are boxes to be ticked off I can't relate. Perfume is expressive, artistic, and personal for me. I don't think about what I wear in such a formulaic and boxed up way.

This is not a diss. I genuinely don't understand the reasoning... also it seems like it's always men who do this
Completely understand and no offence taken. I think categorising like this and what can often look like autistic traits is just a particular manifestation of the male mind.

I don't separate my fragrances fragrances in different categories. I'll wear a fragrance when I'm in the right mood to wear it.
I understand this as well. I think as per immortelle's post, rather than choosing a fragrance based on mood or emotion at that particular point in time (how will you feel by lunchtime?), I prefer the idea of stability and solidity. I don't know how uncommon this is, but I think of it more like having fragrances for a particular time and place. Like footwear, clothing, and even the frame of mind you're in. There's a time for a place and I think fragrance plays a role in that; it plays its part in sort of setting up how serious or focused you are, what your purpose is, what you're also conveying to the world in a sense. @L'Aventurier wrote a good thread recently on fragrances as social armour and I think it's a bit like that - not that you're putting on another skin, it's not that deep, but it's more like illuminating or diminishing slightly different parts of yourself depending on the situation. For me, mood is more a consequence of environment and purpose. Maybe this is a generational thing, I don't know, as the boomers and gen x were definitely encouraged to be authentic and free-spirited in a way millennials were not (we had hedonism and virtual reality - but anyway...). I've found sense in separating fragrances so there's a time and a place - it's not rigid to the point of brittleness, but it's not a lucky dip approach either. If anything, rather than mood dictating the fragrance I wear, the fragrance is like a way of putting on a uniform. It influences the mood (I think mindset works as well), however slight or temporary it may be. Again, the way I'm describing it makes it sound deep or more impactful than it is, but I'm just going to run with it and see if I'm completely on my own with this or if there's anyone else out there who does similar. I like the idea of using fragrances almost like a palimpsest, or maybe like applying layers of paint. Each time you wear it, it's reinforcing the associations you have with the fragrance, and over time it eventually becomes...I don't know how to say it, but maybe like a reciprocal feedback thing where the fragrance and occasion meet seamlessly. Maybe we're describing a similar or even the same thing when you say mood dictates what you wear? The difference is I don't have the fragrances to be able to do what you/other people with larger collections do? Anyway, it's not a big deal as I say.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I find that my fragrance choices fall naturally in line with my decisions about appropriate dress for different occasions - so I don't give this matter of categories any thought.

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
I don't know how uncommon this is, but I think of it more like having fragrances for a particular time and place. Like footwear, clothing, and even the frame of mind you're in. There's a time for a place and I think fragrance plays a role in that; it plays its part in sort of setting up how serious or focused you are, what your purpose is, what you're also conveying to the world in a sense.
100% the reason why I decided to even do sort them into categories in the first place. I subscribe to the idea of there being a time and place, rather than the philosophy of wearing whatever you want.

If anything, rather than mood dictating the fragrance I wear, the fragrance is like a way of putting on a uniform. It influences the mood (I think mindset works as well), however slight or temporary it may be.
The idea of uniforms is something that strongly resonate with me. I also think there is a placebo effect, where wearing certain fragrances can psychologically heighten my expression of certain parts of my personality more.

I'm almost sure we're in the minority amongst fragrance fans who mostly see fragrance as an end in itself, rather than a means to an end as well. They rather focus on the fragrance itself, than the idea of the fragrance being worn. I personally believe that fragrances are incomplete without a wearer. They're not just standalone objects.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Voted for no. Largely thanks to the reason of having had the (almost) "dumb luck" to know, experience the fragrance market around the very moments prices were making quite great value for money affordable on most budgets AND at the same time to make the best out of very considerate, knowledgeable BN advice and wisdom.

Therefore had and still having just the right opportunities to know, discover and own some of the fragrances that are the most amazing even at adapting to all wears, occasions, outfits in the most versatile ways possible.

While having the possibility of theoretically separating the current scent lineup into more casual and formal ones, the combination of a flexible work schedule along with a certain fragrance style/attitude learned from BN as well as other comparable sites/communities gradually allowed for a more versatile, less strict outlook on these separate categories.

Nastka

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 6, 2011
Voted no. I've never separated out work 'appropriate' and 'casual' myself, but I do understand why some people might want to do that in a conservative work setting. Of course, my view might be also a little tinted by the fact that I've been working from home for over 5 years now. The office environments I happen to frequent every now and then are also more casual, especially now after Covid (jeans, polo shirts, and trainers are allowed all week around).

It may also depend on how concerned you are with projection, and how you like to present yourself. I prefer my fragrance to stay in my personal space / bubble, so unless someone goes in for a hug, I don't think anyone can perceive what I wear that much. I wear anything I'm in the mood for at the time of choice, and only stop short at the most animalic of scents.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I also think there is a placebo effect, where wearing certain fragrances can psychologically heighten my expression of certain parts of my personality more.
Yeah, I think that's it. Uniform has a powerful psychological effect. It's part of the appeal of the military, for example. Also relevant to modern companies, whether it's McDonald's or wherever. Having fragrances already delineated to fit certain times and certain places creates that feedback loop - you know it will help get you in to a certain frame of mind because of how it smells.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Voted for no. Largely thanks to the reason of having had the (almost) "dumb luck" to know, experience the fragrance market around the very moments prices were making quite great value for money affordable on most budgets AND at the same time to make the best out of very considerate, knowledgeable BN advice and wisdom.

Therefore had and still having just the right opportunities to know, discover and own some of the fragrances that are the most amazing even at adapting to all wears, occasions, outfits in the most versatile ways possible.

While having the possibility of theoretically separating the current scent lineup into more casual and formal ones, the combination of a flexible work schedule along with a certain fragrance style/attitude learned from BN as well as other comparable sites/communities gradually allowed for a more versatile, less strict outlook on these separate categories.
I understand. With unlimited time and money I would like to have found fragrances I found that are truly versatile! But unfortunately not...I cannot search forever.

Voted no. I've never separated out work 'appropriate' and 'casual' myself, but I do understand why some people might want to do that in a conservative work setting. Of course, my view might be also a little tinted by the fact that I've been working from home for over 5 years now. The office environments I happen to frequent every now and then are also more casual, especially now after Covid (jeans, polo shirts, and trainers are allowed all week around).

It may also depend on how concerned you are with projection, and how you like to present yourself. I prefer my fragrance to stay in my personal space / bubble, so unless someone goes in for a hug, I don't think anyone can perceive what I wear that much. I wear anything I'm in the mood for at the time of choice, and only stop short at the most animalic of scents.
Yes, this is an interesting point as well. I bemoan the current smart-casual, faux-relaxed manner that seems to have crept in to many workplaces. Projection is a good thing to mention as well, I don't want a work fragrance to be strong. But I'd like a casual fragrance to project decently, definitely.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I am more convinced than ever that this is a great way to approach a small collection of fragrances. I've found it a lot easier to find casual fragrances - a range of scents/types of aroma that I feel I can wear as is, covering the spectrum of notes, colours, strengths, and so on. But I have found it so much harder to do this for 'serious' fragrances. It's not just work appropriateness, either, it's formality more generally. I don't know what it says about the fragrances being produced/being sold at the moment, but I'm consistently struck by how unserious they feel. How...inappropriate, basically. I know that the work scent for the 'modern man' is meant to be a floral fragrance like Dior or Prada's iris, but that just sums up the problem in my opinion. That's not what I want, those don't feel like formal or serious fragrances. I'm sure this ties in to the wider anguish other posters share about reformulations, discontinuations and so on, but I'm tired of trying to get comfortable with what is ostensibly a formal or 'serious' fragrance, only to feel massively let down when you wear it a few times and the base (or another component, but usually it's the drydown) reveals itself to be lacking.

I might not have thought this had I not found what I think is basically the epitome of a formal/classical fragrance in Eau d'Hadrien. It's basically everything I wanted in a citrus aromatic. However, it's not the most lively/exciting citrus fragrance for everyday - so what do you do? I say: split the wardrobe. And I think I'm going to get stuck in to some vintage/older/classical fragrances in a proper way to hopefully try to find one or two more that have the same classical formality that EdH has. Finding fragrances that straddle formality/informality is great in its own way, but I think if you're going to have more than 1-2 fragrances, do you really need that? Anyway, if I'm on my own with this, fair enough, but I reckon this is a good idea. Dividing it in two makes sense to me.

lfc1892

Dec 12, 2021
I have a few from Nishane out on display on a lovely copper cribbage board. A HDP amongst some books on the shelf. Most of the are in a lovely vintage leather box which I usually just open and grab what I feel like wearing on the day.
There are a few scents I won’t wear for work, but generally I rock what I like. Some scents are pretty much season specific, but again, usually I just use whatever so no, I don’t really split them in any way.

Rodolfo

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 2, 2008
I have each fragrance reviewed in 11 simple categories, which of course continue to be refined and modified with experience.
Of course 100% adaptable to each person, with the pertinent changes.

CAT. 1 : longevity (from 1 to 5, with 1 being a very low level and 5 being a very high level).

CAT. 2 : sillage (from 1 to 5).

CAT. 3 : linearity (that is, if they are linear and their aroma does not change over the hours or if they are very changeable (from 1 to 5).

CAT. 4 : compliment ratio.

a) a star is added for each compliment I have received from a stranger, and half a star for each compliment I have received from a (human) friend or family member. Two half stars make a star, obviously.​
b) a pirate skull is added for each negative comment I have received from a stranger, and half a pirate skull for each negative comment I have received from a friend or relative (humans). Two half pirate skulls make one pirate skull, obviously.​
(If a fragrance reaches 3 pirate skulls and with few exceptions, it will be sold on the second-hand market within 90 days after the third pirate skull is marked.

CAT. 5 : overall rating of the fragrance according to its main facets (from 1 to 5, taking in consideration its intensity in each general facet):
a) citrus​
b) floraL​
c) fougere​
d) chypre​
e) woody​
f) oriental​
g) gourmand​
i) animal​

CAT. 6 : seasonal comfort level (within the usual conditions of my metropolitan area) (from 1 to 5).
a) winter​
b) spring​
c) summer​
d) autumn​

CAT. 7 : Satisfactory behavior in "radical" atmospheric situations (radical compared to the usual conditions in my metropolitan area) (from 1 to 5).
a) temperatures of more than 28ºC/ 82ºF​
a1) and less than 70% relative humidity​
a2) and more than 70% relative humidity​
b) at temperatures below 8ºC/46ºF​

CAT. 8 : level of comfort in supposed daytime use (from 1 to 5).
a) daytime use alone​
b) daytime use with partner​
c) daytime use with friends without signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
d) daytime use with friends with signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
e) daytime use with family​
f) daytime use with girlfriend or boyfriend​
f1) first dates (from 0 to 3 months)​
f2) second stage (from 3 months to 1 year)​
f3) third stage (more than 1 year)​
g) daytime use with a lover​
g1) first dates (from 0 to 3 months)​
g2) second stage (from 3 months to 1 year)​
g3) third stage (more than 1 year)​

CAT.9 : level of comfort in supposed night use (from 1 to 5)
a) night use alone​
b) night use with partner​
c) nocturnal use with friends without signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
d) night use with friends with signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
e) evening use with family​
f) night use with girlfriend or boyfriend​
g) night use with lover​

CAT. 10: level of adequacy before an alleged use at work.
a) if the work is with the public (from 1 to 5)​
a1) more than 80% of the public were children or teenagers under 18 years of age​
a2) more than 80% of the public were elderly over 70 years old​
a3) more than 80% of the public were adults between 18 and 70 years old​
b) if the work is not with the public (from 1 to 5)​
b2) office work​
b2.1) office from 0 to 20 workers in total​
b2.2) office from 20 to 50 workers in total​
b2.3) office with more than 50 workers​
bc) other differential annexes to be taken into account for various reasons (from 1 to 5)​
bc3) work in warehouses or garages​
bc4) work in kitchens or places where food is handled (raw or cooked)​
bc5) work in hospitals, clinics or residences​
bc6) work in laboratories,pharmacy or chemicals​
bc7) work in the agricultural or environmental sector​
bc8) work in the area of sports, leisure, entertainment​
bc9) work at home​
bc9.1) 1 or 2 people at home​
bc9.2) from 2 to 5 people at home​
bc9.3) more than 5 people at home​
c) gender of co-workers (from 1 to 5)​
c1) in an eminently female work environment (more than 60% are women)​
c2) in an eminently male work environment (more than 60% are men)​
c3) in an eminent non-binary environment (mora than 60% are more than 60% are neither women nor men)​
c4) in an eminently mixed work environment​

CAT.11: level of adequacy in certain situations that are usually extraordinary and specific (from 1 to 5).
a) visit our lawyer​
b) visit our doctor​
c) visit the church / mosque / temple / synagogue or religious places in general​
(for reasons of decorum its use is not contemplated in funerals)
d) visit our probation officer​
e) visit our ex-husband or ex-wife​
f) visit a television show​
g) witness an extraterrestrial contact​
h) plan to commit a criminal activity​
i) on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Halloween or any other national holiday.​
j) at the opera​
k) in the cinema or theater​
l) in an orgy​
l1.) 5 to 10 people​
l2.) of more than 10 people​
m) in the library​
n) at a music concert​
n1) rock​
n2) pop​
n3) hip-hop​
n4) local​
n5) classical​
n6) blues​
n7) country​
n8) r&b and soul​
n9) jazz​
n10)electronic​
n11) metal​
n12) punk​
n13) country music​
n14) others​
o) meeting with members of Basenotes​
o1) are they snobs?​
o1.1) an eminently snob environment (over 60% hate Sauvage)​
o1.2) an eminently non-snob environment (over 60% don't hate Sauvage)​
p1) they think perfumery is dead?​
p1.1) an eminently vintage buyer environment (more than 60% usually buy perfumes over 20 years old).​
p1.2) an eminently vintage buyer environment (more than 60% usually buy perfumes less than 20 years old).​
q1) attitude about brand Creed​
q1.1) over 60% love Creed expressively​
q1.2) an eminently heterogeneous environment​
q1.3) over 60% think Creed sucks​
r1) attitude about Luca Turin​
r1.2) over 60% think he is their guru, and his word is law​
r1.3) an eminently heterogeneous environment​
r1.4) over 60% have outbursts of anger as soon as it is mentioned.​
s) in the museum​

All the fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for more than a year and less than 3 years I write in blue. All fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for more than 3 years are written in green. All fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for less than a year are written in red.

I have also included some additional annexes in relation to different tangential issues: types of meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner / spicy, salty / with our without alcohholic drinks, etc), possible co-workers / friends / relatives who could wear the same fragrance as me, etc etc.

But they are a bit long and I don't want to bore anyone. You know, I know when to stop.

JBHoren

I *am* smiling
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I went through this sh*t 30 years ago (30 years ago? OMFG!) at a number of Silicon Valley, high-tech companies. Sorry, but they were all 30-something women, wannabe-"Trina with her wampum beads-types", who just couldn't stand the outgassing from industrial-grade carpeting, computer workstations, and personal fragrances. So, I learned (the hard way) that fragrances are either work or play (and, in those instances, "work" fragrances meant no fragrances). Thankfully, I'm now retired.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I have each fragrance reviewed in 11 simple categories, which of course continue to be refined and modified with experience.
Of course 100% adaptable to each person, with the pertinent changes.

CAT. 1 : longevity (from 1 to 5, with 1 being a very low level and 5 being a very high level).

CAT. 2 : sillage (from 1 to 5).

CAT. 3 : linearity (that is, if they are linear and their aroma does not change over the hours or if they are very changeable (from 1 to 5).

CAT. 4 : compliment ratio.

a) a star is added for each compliment I have received from a stranger, and half a star for each compliment I have received from a (human) friend or family member. Two half stars make a star, obviously.​
b) a pirate skull is added for each negative comment I have received from a stranger, and half a pirate skull for each negative comment I have received from a friend or relative (humans). Two half pirate skulls make one pirate skull, obviously.​
(If a fragrance reaches 3 pirate skulls and with few exceptions, it will be sold on the second-hand market within 90 days after the third pirate skull is marked.

CAT. 5 : overall rating of the fragrance according to its main facets (from 1 to 5, taking in consideration its intensity in each general facet):
a) citrus​
b) floraL​
c) fougere​
d) chypre​
e) woody​
f) oriental​
g) gourmand​
i) animal​

CAT. 6 : seasonal comfort level (within the usual conditions of my metropolitan area) (from 1 to 5).
a) winter​
b) spring​
c) summer​
d) autumn​

CAT. 7 : Satisfactory behavior in "radical" atmospheric situations (radical compared to the usual conditions in my metropolitan area) (from 1 to 5).
a) temperatures of more than 28ºC/ 82ºF​
a1) and less than 70% relative humidity​
a2) and more than 70% relative humidity​
b) at temperatures below 8ºC/46ºF​

CAT. 8 : level of comfort in supposed daytime use (from 1 to 5).
a) daytime use alone​
b) daytime use with partner​
c) daytime use with friends without signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
d) daytime use with friends with signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
e) daytime use with family​
f) daytime use with girlfriend or boyfriend​
g) daytime use with a lover​

CAT.9 : level of comfort in supposed night use (from 1 to 5)
a) night use alone​
b) night use with partner​
c) nocturnal use with friends without signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
d) night use with friends with signs of a romantic and/or sexual experience in principle​
e) evening use with family​
f) night use with girlfriend or boyfriend​
g) night use with lover​

CAT. 10: level of adequacy before an alleged use at work.
a) if the work is with the public (from 1 to 5)​
a1) more than 80% of the public were children or teenagers under 18 years of age​
a2) more than 80% of the public were elderly over 70 years old​
a3) more than 80% of the public were adults between 18 and 70 years old​
b) if the work is not with the public (from 1 to 5)​
b2) office work​
b2.1) office from 0 to 20 workers in total​
b2.2) office from 20 to 50 workers in total​
b2.3) office with more than 50 workers​
bc) other differential annexes to be taken into account for various reasons (from 1 to 5)​
bc3) work in warehouses or garages​
bc4) work in kitchens or places where food is handled (raw or cooked)​
bc5) work in hospitals, clinics or residences​
bc6) work in laboratories,pharmacy or chemicals​
bc7) work in the agricultural or environmental sector​
bc8) work in the area of sports, leisure, entertainment​
bc9) work at home​
bc9.1) 1 or 2 people at home​
bc9.2) from 2 to 5 people at home​
bc9.3) more than 5 people at home​
c) gender of co-workers (from 1 to 5)​
c1) in an eminently female work environment (more than 60% are women)​
c2) in an eminently male work environment (more than 60% are men)​
c3) in an eminent non-binary environment (mora than 60% are more than 60% are neither women nor men)​
c4) in an eminently mixed work environment​

CAT.11: level of adequacy in certain situations that are usually extraordinary and specific (from 1 to 5).
a) visit our lawyer​
b) visit our doctor​
c) visit the church / mosque / temple / synagogue or religious places in general​
(for reasons of decorum its use is not contemplated in funerals)
d) visit our probation officer​
e) visit our ex-husband or ex-wife​
f) visit a television show​
g) witness an extraterrestrial contact​
h) plan to commit a criminal activity​
i) on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Halloween or any other national holiday.​
j) at the opera​
k) in the cinema or theater​
l) in an orgy​
l1.) 5 to 10 people​
l2.) of more than 10 people​
m) in the library​
n) at a music concert​
n1) rock​
n2) pop​
n3) hip-hop​
n4) local​
n5) classical​
n6) blues​
n7) country​
n8) r&b and soul​
n9) jazz​
n10)electronic​
n11) metal​
n12) punk​
n13) country music​
n14) others​
o) meeting with members of Basenotes​
o1) are they snobs?​
o1.1) an eminently snob environment (over 60% hate Sauvage)​
o1.2) an eminently non-snob environment (over 60% don't hate Sauvage)​
p1) they think perfumery is dead?​
p1.1) an eminently vintage buyer environment (more than 60% usually buy perfumes over 20 years old).​
p1.2) an eminently vintage buyer environment (more than 60% usually buy perfumes less than 20 years old).​
q1) attitude about brand Creed​
q1.1) over 60% love Creed expressively​
q1.2) an eminently heterogeneous environment​
q1.3) over 60% think Creed sucks​
r1) attitude about Luca Turin​
r1.2) over 60% think he is their guru, and his word is law​
r1.3) an eminently heterogeneous environment​
r1.4) over 60% have outbursts of anger as soon as it is mentioned.​
s) in the museum​

All the fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for more than a year and less than 3 years I write in blue. All fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for more than 3 years are written in green. All fragrances that have been tested under different conditions for less than a year are written in red.

I have also included some additional annexes in relation to different tangential issues: types of meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner / spicy, salty / with our without alcohholic drinks, etc), possible co-workers / friends / relatives who could wear the same fragrance as me, etc etc.

But they are a bit long and I don't want to bore anyone. You know, I know when to stop.
iu

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I went through this sh*t 30 years ago (30 years ago? OMFG!) at a number of Silicon Valley, high-tech companies. Sorry, but they were all 30-something women, wannabe-"Trina with her wampum beads-types", who just couldn't stand the outgassing from industrial-grade carpeting, computer workstations, and personal fragrances. So, I learned (the hard way) that fragrances are either work or play (and, in those instances, "work" fragrances meant no fragrances). Thankfully, I'm now retired.
The tyranny of the HR pantsuit has only got worse in the last 30 years. In any case, part of the appeal in distinguishing formal from non-formal fragrances is to avoid issues like this. Close-wearing fragrances/inoffensiveness is definitely a consideration.

Latest News