Woodsy wood scent - a bit deep, a bit dark, a bit dry, and definitely masculine. Any suggestions?

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
Based on what I've read, I think you might enjoy Mugler Pure Wood. Easily the most underrated of all the A*Men flankers, this one does wood very well, balancing it with sweet notes. The dry down is awesome, and reminiscent of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. It's a sweet woodsy fragrance, but also mature, not juvenile at all. As a plus, it always renders me compliments.

Aquafortis

Jul 1, 2017
I don't think it's been suggested here yet, but I am thinking Bois D'Orage/French Lover by Malle. It may be too green for you, but its austerity and dryness are unrivaled IMHO, and total lack of any sweetness conveys to me a slightly darker, forest floor kind of somberness/darkness.

Scarce

Dec 28, 2014
I'd throw in Bentley for Men Absolute too

Since Gucci Pour Homme I is a bit difficult to find, and the Bentley attempts are not a substitute (I agree with the other posters, these turn a bit 'plastic-y' quite quickly).

Sample first would be my suggestion

Gucci Pour Homme is a wonderful woodsy scent

Thanks. Also have Gucci Pour Homme and Santal 33 on the way which, although not really the earthy-woody scent I'm after, might have some wood notes I like, so it's good to narrow it down this way even when not getting the exact thing. Already know I like the Mahogany in Bowmakers.

Just hoping for that earthy, deep, dark wood fragrance to round it all off. Incense is fine, but ideally want to keep away from spice and any sort of citrus or fruit. Nothing's really hit the mark just yet.

Your sample of Gucci pour Homme is actually Gucci pour Homme II (2008). The original (or 2003) version is discontinued and was dark and woody. The second version is not what you're looking for. And if you tried finding a unicorn bottle of the original release you might be looking at $300.

I'd suggest going with Bentley Absolute as it's readily available and cheap at around $40 online. It was also created by Michael Aimairac, who created Gucci pour homme. It's sort of his homage to the scent he created. And it's easy to wear. Whether or not it's satisfying is up to you.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Thanks, really like the look of these.

Do you have any recommendations for 'wet woods' in the way that these come across as quite 'dry woods' by the basis of reviews?

Honestly, Blood Cedar by Heretic is actually somewhat wet in that it smells extremely resinous, as in the wet resins from the fir needles in the opening and mids. It is about Cedar though in the end and Cedar is definitely a drier smell to me than Fir, Spruce or Pine.

As for wet woods, here's a couple I can think of:

Olympic Rainforest by Olympic Orchids is a very wet smelling forest. Smells great. Has the addition of a mushroom note to help realize the damp forest floor.

Ore by Slumberhouse is very wet from the standpoint that it is gourmand like woods. Sweet, caramelized with chocolate. This is an amazing woody fragrance.

Ancient Resins by Aftelier. Mandy Aftel created a wet resinous woody scent. This is a perfume oil and has some nice woody notes from Poplar Buds, Elemi and Frankincense.

Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga. This one feels wet to me. The wetness comes by way of an ambery glow with some mandarin orange and geranium thrown in, but there is still a coniferous presence as well. You'll have to judge whether you think this smells like a forest or not.

Bowmakers by D.S. & Durga. Wet, but dry as well. Smells just like you walked into a violin shop. A cool fragrance.

Winter by Dasein. I think this one has a wet woodsy coniferous feel.

Winter Nights by Dasein. Ahh...I love this fragrance. Introduced to me by a fellow Basenoter. It is a wet, sticky forest with some slight burning notes that you aren't sure are coming from the forest or from the Christmas Cake you're baking in your cabin in the woods.

Johnsteed

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2013
Pierre Balmain Carbone and Fendi Fan Di Fendi Pour Homme Assoluto might work for you. Carbone is a compliment getter for me, if you're into that sort of thing :)

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Several years later, but I would thoroughly recommend Parle Moi de Parfum's Papyrus Oud for anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread in the future. It's as close to Gucci Pour Homme as you could feasibly hope for, but a tad drier, a bit more bite, and smells a tad more modern (there's a dash of Santal 33-esque DNA in the opening). Good fragrance, decent price.

emtee

Jun 4, 2018
Unless I’ve really misunderstood the brief or my nose is just messed up I’m really surprised no one has suggested FM French Lover yet.

ihxb01

Jan 26, 2020
I was looking for a woody dry masculine scent for myself recently and now considering either Bois Mystique Houbigant or Blue Santal CdG. Please note, the latter does not smell like vinegar/dill pickles, it is a warm, dry and persistent perfume with good longevity.

Latest News