Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Chanel Pour Monsieur
375x500.615.jpg

khanada

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 3, 2020
Good morning--in some cases, very early morning, everyone,

Thank you for all the warm welcomes back. I really missed you guys, I'm happy to see that everyone seems much the same, and it is an oasis of sanity where we can relax and talk about perfume and wine/cocktails (I am on a cocktail kick) and other things that make living not only sanity-making but actually pleasureable.

Mr K went out tonight to hear DJ Ellen Alien play at our local house club; she's one of the new German whiz kids making a lot of noise, and I really wanted to go, but I am a littel under the weather, and I also wanted him to get some guy time with his best friend, who needs some complicated lady advice (the good kind, as the pandemic is easing up a bit, things are tending towards feast rather than famine): Mr K is a couple of years older, they have known each other since secondary school, and they haven't had an evening out together in almost a year, so even without the romantic issues and my own mild symptoms, I would have probably smacked him on the derriere and sent him on his way regardless. Nothing survives in a vacuum.

I got a nice evening alone to do perfume organization and consider my winder rotation, a luxury I haven't had in a year. Autumn rotation was just a few things I put in a drawer as I went and it worked out okay, but it was frustrating to have no place to keep track of what I was doing. I'm trying something new this year (this is probably best discussed in the dedicated thread so I will keep it brief): I took out everything that seemed appealing, winnowed it down to what seeemed like a reasonable number, which is still too many perfumes. I'm going to experiment with what's left for a week or two and have it sorted before Thanksgiving (the last Thursday in November in the US). I really want to maximize my opportunities to wear them, especially since I have so much tarry, ambery, incensy goodness, and I prefer to wear them when the weather is relatively appropriate (I also have plenty of light, citrussy ambers, moodier vetivers and such for days when it's warmer but still not summer, so choosing those fragrances is a process, too).

Living in warmer regions makes these seasonal decisions difficult. I finally decided that wesouthern US residents should just start observing True Winter sort of like pagan worshippers of the Old Gods, because we usually get our first cold snap around then, and our opportunities to wear anything winter related--boots, sweaters, leather jackets, big scarves, and appropriate fragrances--are bothlimited and inconsistet. Fall and winter here is kind of like spring in northern places, often a sartorial state of mind rather than an actual season, so once we get our first cool night (say, below 10C inTexas), we have to make the most of it, since the temperature is all over the place. We get some cool to cold days (and last year, my goodness--the whole state froze). So as soon as that first cold snap comes, everyone in our fashion-conscious city appears in big boots, jackets, blanket scarves, cashmere sweaters, and I am guilty of this, too. It's the opposite of spring fever, because the heat has finally broken.

So I got out a rought draft of my rotation, and I'll be trying them out over the next couple weeks. Some of the fall things will likely stay. I've really been enjoying J-Scent's wonderful Roasted Green Tea, a really clever take on the kind of tired green tea scent that substitutes matcha for the vague green tea/musk combo. My bottle took a while to settle in, but it has a lovely autumnal quality with none of the fishy/oxidized quality that some inexpensive green teas have; wearing it has a little of the pleasure of a scoop of green tea ice cream.

I tested so many different perfumes on my arms and shirt today that I can't really say what my SOTD was, so I'll try to log the ones I can remember. My intentional SOTE is the weird, beautiful Aomassaï from Parfumerie Generale's early, particularly creative days. (I'm not saying PIerre is out of ideas, but those early PG perfumes were just so unlike anything at the time). Just look at some of the notes:
I recognize the unifying thread as tannin, a bold choice but also an increasingly popular artistic one in the early 21st century. All those dark, toasty scents harmonize with the bitter scents of vetiver, orance, and the addictive scent of wenge wood that Donna Karan put in her signature soli-ligna(?) around this time (it's one of my favorite scents; get me some of that vintage DK Wenge and I'll soul bond with you and be your slave or something , , , for a while anyway)(or not . . . might not be the best idea).

To quote our gimmergreen back in 2006, what Aoimassic "does particularly well is work a dark palette of notes. burnt, roasted, caramelized, into a composition that has the PG signature airiness. In the later stages the saltiness recedes leaving a slightly musky, nutty mousse. Different and accessible." I agree, but I find it also smoother and less dessicated than his description might have you believe. Its tolu, citrus, licorice, wenge, and some elements only known to the perfumer's magic mame the perfume feel sparkly, creamy, smooth, soothing, and like you'd love to find someone who could turn it into a gelato, or some kind more extravagant layered dessert. Sometimes I feel like PIerre Guillaume missed his true calling because this one is special.

Oops. I wrote a review. If I should abbreviate this and move it to the review section, please let me know. I'm just happy to be back, and my enthusiam ran away with me 😎.

This NImbus screenshot was not what i intended.ed; not only does it contain typos, but it's also not the nice jpg image I hoped for. However, it is 4 am and and I am too tired to fix it. Maybe I'll try tomorrow, or else the BN robot will beat me to the punch and lock the thread with my mistake frozen in time for all to see. At least I smell good.

Attachments

• aomassa (1).jpg
    aomassa (1).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
A good morning, albeit late, to everyone.

Today's sample is from Isabelle Larignon - Milky Dragon - a scent based on oolong tea. It really reminds me of another fragrance I've tried but for the life of me I cannot remember which one....maybe a Nicolai scent. It's soft, lactonic, floral with a little sweetness. I have yet to get the base notes of oak moss, virginia cedar and Fir Balsam but the cashmeran is quite prominent, which I think is the dominant scent for me. I'm hoping it will keep developing.

Anyway, have a lovely Saturday.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Loving all the leather in here today.

I'd join in except that I had already committed to a fireplace scent: Memoirs of a Trespasser.

8c_21410_14c3b521bb0278974b0314890b2b590d_270.jpg

For some reason I was thinking about @jujy54 this morning, hope she's doing okay wherever she is.

Today's sample is from Isabelle Larignon - Milky Dragon -

This put a rather disturbing picture in my head of someone trying to actually milk a dragon.

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
Loving all the leather in here today.

I'd join in except that I had already committed to a fireplace scent: Memoirs of a Trespasser.

8c_21410_14c3b521bb0278974b0314890b2b590d_270.jpg

For some reason I was thinking about @jujy54 this morning, hope she's doing okay wherever she is.

This put a rather disturbing picture in my head of someone trying to actually milk a dragon.
I reckon it would be a risky venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...