Women's fragrances appropriate for medical/mental health work?

PeachieOs

Mar 6, 2019
Hi, me again... ;)

I have looked through the forums, and I can't quite seem to find the answer I'm looking for, so I hope it's okay I'm starting a new thread about this...

I work in the medical/mental health field, but only spend about 15 hours/week with clients or patients, the rest of my time is spent coordinating staff and doing administrative work. My clients don't seem to mind fragrance, in fact many of them tell me they enjoy it, but my coworkers are another story, of course. I work with AMAZING people, but many of them are a bit "crunchy" (I was raised by hippies myself, I get it!), and they don't really appreciate the fragrances I love (Chanel No.5, Black Opium, Live Colorfully, Lady Vengeance). I would like to stay on their good sides. ;)

What I'm looking for:
A fragrance with lasting power for those long days on my feet, and probably something that is more green, aquatic, or aromatic (I think these are the correct families lol...). It should also have low projection and stay close to the skin. Lastly, I'd love something not too expensive, as I would be wearing it frequently (for me, this is less than $100/100 ml). Any thoughts or suggestions? Or direction to another thread you may know of that I missed? Thank you all!

P.S. I am loving this community, you all have been amazingly helpful and generous so far! <3

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
For professional settings, I like vetivers, which are more traditionally masculine but are perfect for both men and women. Fresh, green, clean, but elegant and formal enough.

Some of my favorite vetivers are expensive, but things like CDG Vettiveru work perfectly too.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I'm wearing Chanel Misia EDT today in order to revisit my initial take on it, and it occurs to me that it might work for you in the office setting - it's a beautiful soft rose.

Divatologist

Feb 4, 2007
I'm a RN on a busy med/surg floor. I wear almost any and everything in my wardrobe. It's been said that we shouldn't wear perfume around the patients, but most of them just love smelling something good. The last time I wore Une Rose, my patients and coworkers went on about how good I smell. I worked in a chemo infusion center at my previous hospital and I had one patient that would ask for me as soon as they got there. They always wanted to know what perfume I had on that day. I would even sit with them during their treatment because the perfume was comforting. I wore Elixir des Merveilles once and one patient would call me in the room just to smell me LOL! Alien and Alien Extraordinaire are ones that my patients like. They always refer to me as the nurse that smells good and wears a scarf on her head. I tell ya. On those rough nights, nothing calms me like a good whiff of myself. I imagine it has the same effect on some of my patients.

Liz B

Jun 26, 2015
I think SJP Lovely would fit the brief. It was my theatre-going perfume for a while. It stays very close to the body, and while it is a floral musk it's also not very challenging.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PeachieOs

Mar 6, 2019
Ooh, such great suggestions from everyone ! And Divotologist, I loved your stories, it’s wondeful to hear from someone else in the field! And yes, the nurses at my clinic are not supposed to wear perfume either, but I definitely know of a few who get away with it, and they’re usually the patient favorites haha. ;) As an administrator the rules are a bit more lax for me, except I have these silly coworkers who think drenching themselves in lavender essential oil smells fine, but can’t abide one spray of No.5 EDP. I love the suggestions of rose and patchouli, those seemed good to me too — but several people did NOT like Lady Vengeance, which makes me so sad.

Definitely going to be trying many of these recommendations, I’m especially interested in Annick Goutal Eau du Sud, and of course Chanel Misia and No.19 (that’s already at the top of my Must Buy list!). Oh, and Guerlain Vetiver...

Thank you all so much!

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Had to stop on this thread. Mental health has been an interest over the last 5 years - almost simultaneous with my dive into the fragrance world (someone go figure!!)

Firstly respect to the work you're doing!

Initially I was gonna say something lavender based and would definitely +1 on the vetivers and neroli. All pretty cool, clean and ones can be had to be a big or as discreet as is suitable.

Best regards

AceyMan

wearing dad's aftershave™
Basenotes Plus
Mar 3, 2007
I have to call on—

Mugler Cologne

As a true cologne, it works on guys and gals.

It's my one job interview fragrance and my first everyday wear for years. You'll smell like you just put on fresh scrubs.

/Acey

And if anyone actually picks up on the legendary 'S-note' ... well, you do work in health care. <wink>

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Props for the work you do.

If they’ve complained about anything, definitely avoid wearing it at work.

I was going to say that Lady Vengeance has a lot of woody aromachemical in it, based on my memory, and those materials can cause headaches for some people, myself included. Maybe something like Pour Une Homme by Caron (male-marketed soft lavender) wouldn’t bother your coworkers’ sensibilities. I also liked the Eau de Sud and Cologne Sologne suggestions. Something natural and close to the skin would be best. Have you checked out the work of Mandy Aftel? Or Hiram Green?

A solid perfume might also fit the bill. Enjoyable for you, but close to the skin.

ineespenes

Apr 27, 2006
I work at a rehab, and also like to wear a scent at work ( but not suppose to) In general I tend to wear Elixir de Merveilles, Sycomore, No 19, Infusion d'iris, Datura noir, NR For her, Tam dao , Jicky and sometimes Prada Candy and Sa majeste la rose. Also citrus centered scents.

rtamara41

Oct 17, 2006
I think No. 19 would be great as well.

Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria collection would be worth taking a look at. Many of them have that transparent and minimalist feel.

I'm joining in with a Chanel No.19 recommendation, especially since you already enjoy this perfume house, and coincidentally, am in the same field. I find that I can get away with many of my scents if I adjust application to reduce sillage. Once in a while I wear Chanel no. 22, which is an aldehydic queen, and sister to your beloved No. 5, but allow myself a single modest spritz to one wrist. It is enough for me to enjoy all day, without crossing boundaries at work.

PeachieOs

Mar 6, 2019
Yay, more suggestions and bumps for some of the same! After reading all your wonderful replies, I have narrowed it down to No.19 and Eau du sud. Going to be purchasing 19 soon, as I know I love it, and it looks like I can order a sample of Eau du Sud from frangencenet. ☺️☺️ Thank you all again!

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
Personally, I'd wear Mure Et Musc Extreme if going to hospital to visit anyone, because it smells good but not like perfume, and because I love it. But honestly, anything, judiciously applied, seems OK.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Yay, more suggestions and bumps for some of the same! After reading all your wonderful replies, I have narrowed it down to No.19 and Eau du sud. Going to be purchasing 19 soon, as I know I love it, and it looks like I can order a sample of Eau du Sud from frangencenet. ☺️☺️ Thank you all again!

No 19 you can't go wrong with. I think you'll enjoy it very much :)

I'd also recommend for you to try out the flanker chanel no 19 poudre.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
For professional settings, I like vetivers, which are more traditionally masculine but are perfect for both men and women. Fresh, green, clean, but elegant and formal enough.

Some of my favorite vetivers are expensive, but things like CDG Vettiveru work perfectly too.

Personally, I'd wear Mure Et Musc Extreme if going to hospital to visit anyone, because it smells good but not like perfume, and because I love it. But honestly, anything, judiciously applied, seems OK.

Both excellent fragrances but lasting power is not their strong point imo

Maybe Lolita Lempicka would suit you?

Primrose

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 22, 2009
One pal in the medical profession adamantly says no fragrance AT ALL.

On the other hand, I have smelled Avon Haiku and Oscar de la Renta on some health professionals. I asked.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
For situations/times like you're describing, I think something like Molecule 01 (or even Molecule 01+Iris) is perfect....especially for a female.

This type of fragrance gives you more of an "aura" of fragrance that people can definitely smell, but not something people will smell and think, "Oh, you're wearing a fragrance." They just think you smell good but they typically can't tell you exactly what they're smelling. If pressed to say what they are smelling, most people describe it as a light woody smell that just smells clean and good. Oftentimes, it's hard to tell where it's coming from and/or who's wearing it. It's a fragrance that comes and goes and people catch whiffs of on the wind, intermittently. But it's not something that's going to be too strong or off-putting to someone.

On the contrary, Molecule 01 gets more compliments for my wife than anything she wears. It's really surprising. And what's really humorous, to me, is that she claims not to be able to smell it herself....which is actually fairly typical for a lot of people. I can smell it clearly, but she says she has no idea what it smells like. :smiley:

Latest News