Women Wearing “Masculine” Scents.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Men of Basenotes:

What are your thoughts and opinions on women wearing fragrances that lean towards masculine?

For example - my husband appreciates a certain Guerlain very much, but would rather I didn’t wear it to sleep. It strikes him as a bit awkward to lay next to such a masculine scent (fair enough).

So. What are your thoughts of your wife/girlfriend/hot date wearing a scent that you wear yourself?

Do you find it attractive? Confusing, and possibly repellent? Are you neutral about it all?

I guess while we’re on this subject, ladies - how do you feel about your husband/boyfriend/hot date wearing a very feminine scent?

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Men of Basenotes:

What are your thoughts and opinions on women wearing fragrances that lean towards masculine?

For example - my husband appreciates a certain Guerlain very much, but would rather I didn’t wear it to sleep. It strikes him as a bit awkward to lay next to such a masculine scent (fair enough).

So. What are your thoughts of your wife/girlfriend/hot date wearing a scent that you wear yourself?

Do you find it attractive? Confusing, and possibly repellent? Are you neutral about it all?

I guess while we’re on this subject, ladies - how do you feel about your husband/boyfriend/hot date wearing a very feminine scent?
Well, I find confidence sexy. I think a woman should wear what she likes--no matter the gender it's marketed to. Same for men.

Aug 16, 2022
Answers will be diverse because attraction is diverse. I don't like scents I consider masculne on women. Unisex is fine, but attempts at femininity are draws in themselves. I would rather date a girl who wants to be a girl than one who isn't sure.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Well, I find confidence sexy. I think a woman should wear what she likes--no matter the gender it's marketed to. Same for men.

Absolutely!

I enjoy wearing the men’s fragrances that I’ve loved so far, very much. He’s liked everything as well, and even enjoyed the lovely samples that you so generously sent me (and enjoyed them on me, as well!). But he draws the line at wearing them to bed - he finds it weird, to put it bluntly. He’s considerate about it, though.

Nkoflan

Feb 26, 2022
Masculine and feminine are descriptive terms. People get very excited thinking that they're stickin' it to the man by wearing something labeled one or the other, but the labels are just there to help people find what they're looking for. If someone likes it, it doesn't matter what it's labeled. Likewise, if someone doesn't like it, it also doesn't matter. Either way, it's not nearly the rebellion it's built up to be.

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
I love when my girlfriend gets into my stash. Some of my favorites on her are Amouage Bracken Man, Electimus Auster, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme and Or Black (especially in vintage formula, but I have restrictions on that one).

She enjoys when I wear Mitsouko, Cuir de Russie and Cabochard. All in vintage formula.

Pippin06

Feb 8, 2017
Absolutely!

I enjoy wearing the men’s fragrances that I’ve loved so far, very much. He’s liked everything as well, and even enjoyed the lovely samples that you so generously sent me (and enjoyed them on me, as well!). But he draws the line at wearing them to bed - he finds it weird, to put it bluntly. He’s considerate about it, though.
I see. While confidence is sexy, compromise in marriage is also a must. Ah, to be 39 again! :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Masculine and feminine are descriptive terms. People get very excited thinking that they're stickin' it to the man by wearing something labeled one or the other, but the labels are just there to help people find what they're looking for. If someone likes it, it doesn't matter what it's labeled. Likewise, if someone doesn't like it, it also doesn't matter. Either way, it's not nearly the rebellion it's built up to be.

Absolutely agreed.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I love when my girlfriend gets into my stash. Some of my favorites on her are Amouage Bracken Man, Electimus Auster, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme and Or Black (especially in vintage formula, but I have restrictions on that one).

She enjoys when I wear Mitsouko, Cuir de Russie and Cabochard. All in vintage formula.

I love this!!

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I can't say that I'd like to smell a clearly masculine scent on my wife, but I have MANY unisex fragrances and I would love to smell pretty much any of them on her. To me, it only makes sense. Why would you not want your partner wearing a fragrance that YOU also love the smell of and love to wear? If "I" like a unisex scent on me, then I'm going to like it on her, too.

However, I will say.....even though I feel this way, what typically happens is....whoever actually buys the fragrance is typically the one that winds up being the primary wearer. It's not on purpose, that's just what usually happens.

To tell you the truth, there are many women's scents that I don't especially like. Consequently, it would make much more sense to me if we would wear the fragrances we both enjoy more frequently.

Considering how many unisex fragrances are out there, we might as well take advantage of them.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I'm pretty much a believer that women can largely get away with wearing many scents that are basically marketed towards or considered masculine more easily than vice versa.

I suppose there are some men's scents I would think odd on a woman. But if a woman is confident and likes wearing, she will probably get away with it.

kosui, just curious what is the scent your husband doesn't like you wearing?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
To tell you the truth, there are many women's scents that I don't especially like. Consequently, it would make much more sense to me if we would wear the fragrances we both enjoy more frequently.

I especially appreciate this statement. It makes complete sense.

I suppose in this scenario, I would say what of strongly “masculine” scents, as opposed to fluidly unisex.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I'm pretty much a believer that women can largely get away with wearing many scents that are basically marketed towards or considered masculine more easily than vice versa.

I suppose there are some men's scents I would think odd on a woman. But if a woman is confident and likes wearing, she will probably get away with it.

kosui, just curious what is the scent your husband doesn't like you wearing?

🙌🏻

The scent is question is Heritage.

He enjoyed it when I wore it in the evening a couple of days ago, but fell asleep much earlier than I did (I was up, roaming the house and doing odd chores and tidying up). Tonight, he was conscious, so while I was getting ready to take my evening shower, I had put the little decant bottle on the dresser (as I always do for my SOTE), and then the conversation followed shortly thereafter.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
🙌🏻

The scent is question is Heritage.

He enjoyed it when I wore it in the evening a couple of days ago, but fell asleep much earlier than I did (I was up, roaming the house and doing odd chores and tidying up). Tonight, he was conscious, so while I was getting ready to take my evening shower, I had put the little decant bottle on the dresser (as I always do for my SOTE), and then the conversation followed shortly thereafter.
Ahhh. Well, I'll go out on a limb and say if it's a scent that I wear regularly, I probably don't want to smell on a woman.

joeishere

Nov 3, 2022
Men of Basenotes:

As long as it's what they like - I'm okay with it.

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
My OH, thankfully, is pretty relaxed about what I wear but would definitely say if I wore something he didn't like, or thought it didn't suit me. His favourite scent, though he tends not to wear fragrances, sadly, is Kouros. I've given him samples of scents that lean a little too masculine on me that were unisex and he's fine with those. I don't think he'd be up for wearing a feminine perfume though. We are both considerate of the other and don't wear anything the other doesn't like.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
We discussed this question many times before, in different ways. Of course, everyone should wear what they like, but the OP’s specific situation suggests another response. Her DH has respectfully objected to her wearing Heritage in bed, so I would say don‘t wear it.

The stated reason may have been that Heritage felt “too masculine” but I would suggest that our reactions to perfumes are more complex than a simple judgement regarding its designation as belonging to one gender or another. There really is no strict, bright line demarcating the difference between a masculine or a feminine scent or among specific notes. (Social and historical contexts establish certain mutable conventions but the boundaries are very gray and fuzzy.) I can comfortably wear many scents that have been marketed to men, but there are certain masculine scents that remind me too much of my Dad‘s or husband’s Mennen Electric Shave that I feel odd wearing them. It’s not that they are “too masculine” but they are closely associated with my perceptions of other people so I won’t wear them. I really enjoy the smell of the OG masculine “Mennen accord” on them, just not on me.

kosui-no-kaori, I wonder if your Heritage reminded your DH of a specific person, or perhaps a specific type of person, and that is why he felt uncomfortable with your wearing it to bed.

My DH wears no scents of any kind. He doesn’t distinguish between masculine or feminine scents. If he wanted to wear a scent marketed to women that would be fine with me, but it is never going to happen. I occasionally spritz him with different scents but he is happily Indifferent To them all.

And while we’re on the subject, I do not wear scents to bed. If I’ve miscalculated and my perfume is still strong, I wash it off. I find strong scents annoying as I try to fall asleep.

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
For example - my husband appreciates a certain Guerlain very much, but would rather I didn’t wear it to sleep. It strikes him as a bit awkward to lay next to such a masculine scent (fair enough). While I was getting ready to take my evening shower, I had put the little decant bottle on the dresser (as I always do for my SOTE), and then the conversation followed shortly thereafter.
I wonder if he would mind the drydown as much. I can imagine that men's fragrances usually aim to be energizing and have a lot of "forward momentum" to them that might feel jarring when someone is ready to rest. Assuming you wear pyjamas of some sort, I wonder how he would react if you sprayed some on the clothing a few hours earlier before bed.

Something I actually prefer. If I like something on me, there's a 99% chance I would like it on her, as long as it matches with her presentation. It is especially easy since most of my fragrances are unisex.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
This is an interesting question. My wife doesn’t often wear fragrance, and is often put off by strong scents. When she does wear perfume, or any of my fragrances (some feminines), I usually find it very attractive. However, I might also find it unusual. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

However, as much as I think everyone should wear what they like/want, I might find it odd (and perhaps jarring) if she were to wear many of my ‘70s or ‘80s masculine powerhouses. For her to wear Polo, Antaeus, Giorgio Beverly Hills, or Armani Eau Pour Homme, it would seem very strange to me, or say a ‘60s chypre like Aramis or Eau Sauvage, or a fougere like Brut. Not that it might not be good (especially the drydown) but it would take some getting used to. However, gourmands like A*Men (and flankers) or DHI could work very well and naturally on her. It’s all in the nose of the beholder here, and I confess my biases at a certain point. She might admit the same—that while liking (and tolerating) my love for Shalimar, she is less enamored of me wearing Chanel Allure Perfume, or if I were to wear another very feminine leaning sweet floral scent.

I think the important thing is to keep an open mind and being open to experimentation and seeing where it leads you. And I’m hearing the chords of “White Rabbit” as I write this, and smiling. Vive la difference… 🙂

Oct 7, 2021
As much as i love fragrances, i generally dont care what anyone around me wears. I only care about my taste and collection. I am not going to try to force my opinions on others. This is just like music taste, you cant force someone to like something.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
My OH, thankfully, is pretty relaxed about what I wear but would definitely say if I wore something he didn't like, or thought it didn't suit me. His favourite scent, though he tends not to wear fragrances, sadly, is Kouros. I've given him samples of scents that lean a little too masculine on me that were unisex and he's fine with those. I don't think he'd be up for wearing a feminine perfume though. We are both considerate of the other and don't wear anything the other doesn't like.

I love the communication between the two of you 🙂

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
We discussed this question many times before, in different ways. Of course, everyone should wear what they like, but the OP’s specific situation suggests another response. Her DH has respectfully objected to her wearing Heritage in bed, so I would say don‘t wear it.

The stated reason may have been that Heritage felt “too masculine” but I would suggest that our reactions to perfumes are more complex than a simple judgement regarding its designation as belonging to one gender or another. There really is no strict, bright line demarcating the difference between a masculine or a feminine scent or among specific notes. (Social and historical contexts establish certain mutable conventions but the boundaries are very gray and fuzzy.) I can comfortably wear many scents that have been marketed to men, but there are certain masculine scents that remind me too much of my Dad‘s or husband’s Mennen Electric Shave that I feel odd wearing them. It’s not that they are “too masculine” but they are closely associated with my perceptions of other people so I won’t wear them. I really enjoy the smell of the OG masculine “Mennen accord” on them, just not on me.

kosui-no-kaori, I wonder if your Heritage reminded your DH of a specific person, or perhaps a specific type of person, and that is why he felt uncomfortable with your wearing it to bed.

My DH wears no scents of any kind. He doesn’t distinguish between masculine or feminine scents. If he wanted to wear a scent marketed to women that would be fine with me, but it is never going to happen. I occasionally spritz him with different scents but he is happily Indifferent To them all.

And while we’re on the subject, I do not wear scents to bed. If I’ve miscalculated and my perfume is still strong, I wash it off. I find strong scents annoying as I try to fall asleep.

Thank you so much for all of this, grayspoole!

This was so thought-provoking - you’ve made so many good points, and inspired a few really interesting questions.

Your husband seems so wonderfully easy going!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I wonder if he would mind the drydown as much. I can imagine that men's fragrances usually aim to be energizing and have a lot of "forward momentum" to them that might feel jarring when someone is ready to rest. Assuming you wear pyjamas of some sort, I wonder how he would react if you sprayed some on the clothing a few hours earlier before bed.

Something I actually prefer. If I like something on me, there's a 99% chance I would like it on her, as long as it matches with her presentation. It is especially easy since most of my fragrances are unisex.

This is a fantastic point, thank you!

I’ve never sprayed on clothing, but that could also be a very nice alternative (I just worry about scenting the comforter and duvet, whereas a spray on the nape could be a simple pillowcase change).

For my SOTE, I use a very, very, very light hand, and usually just apply a whisper of a spray to give the suggestion of the scent - rather than anything be loud enough to disrupt a good night’s sleep.

Pippin06

Feb 8, 2017

This is something I thought of too. Maybe he is thinking that this fragrance came from a male basenoter, and that makes him uncomfortable given the specific time you wore it. During the day, it may be a different story. We men can be funny creatures. LOL

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
This is an interesting question. My wife doesn’t often wear fragrance, and is often put off by strong scents. When she does wear perfume, or any of my fragrances (some feminines), I usually find it very attractive. However, I might also find it unusual. That’s not necessarily a bad thing.

However, as much as I think everyone should wear what they like/want, I might find it odd (and perhaps jarring) if she were to wear many of my ‘70s or ‘80s masculine powerhouses. For her to wear Polo, Antaeus, Giorgio Beverly Hills, or Armani Eau Pour Homme, it would seem very strange to me, or say a ‘60s chypre like Aramis or Eau Sauvage, or a fougere like Brut. Not that it might not be good (especially the drydown) but it would take some getting used to. However, gourmands like A*Men (and flankers) or DHI could work very well and naturally on her. It’s all in the nose of the beholder here, and I confess my biases at a certain point. She might admit the same—that while liking (and tolerating) my love for Shalimar, she is less enamored of me wearing Chanel Allure Perfume, or if I were to wear another very feminine leaning sweet floral scent.

I think the important thing is to keep an open mind and being open to experimentation and seeing where it leads you. And I’m hearing the chords of “White Rabbit” as I write this, and smiling. Vive la difference… 🙂

Thank you so much! This was wonderful to read.

Vive la difference, indeed!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
My husband is really fine with whatever I wear except when I tried Aramis - because it's so famous - he recognized that one. Maybe what @grayspoole said - it may be associations with people he knows or has smelled, or it isn't conducive to sleep, or it just doesn't remind him of you.

I think he’s just so used to me wearing florals and hyper feminine scents, pre-Basenotes.

Since joining BN, I’ve strayed from my usual bubble and branched out into territories that he’s never smelled on me before. I’m wondering if it’s just a matter of getting used to me smelling so (wonderfully) different.

Maybe?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
As much as i love fragrances, i generally dont care what anyone around me wears. I only care about my taste and collection. I am not going to try to force my opinions on others. This is just like music taste, you cant force someone to like something.

Absolutely!

Would you care a bit, if it was laying next to you for the entire night? “It” meaning a scent that you might not care to snuggle with.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...