White musk, what's your choice ?

coumarine

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 25, 2006
What would be your choice of musk if you were told not to use Galaxolide anymore ? I Try to replace this molecule in my formula but I struggle to find a proper "replacer"

Darren Alan

Apr 20, 2019
I tend to use more than just one musk in my fragrances. Different musk materials represent different facets or aspects of the perception of white musk. Tp me, they seem to work better in a perfume in various combinations with each other based on the other materials in your formula.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I sometimes use a 5:2:1 ratio of habanolide:e.b.:exaltolide. But galaxolide has some irreplaceable properties & my favorite white musk accord lately is 4:1:1 galax:hab:eb.

FragOz

Jan 8, 2022
Thanks for the interesting combinations you mentioned Mike! I agree with Romandolide, indeed first replacer to think about.
What would be your choice of musk if you were told not to use Galaxolide anymore ? I Try to replace this molecule in my formula but I struggle to find a proper "replacer"
I suggest Zenolide as base you're looking for the fruity note. The closely related Macrolide Supra also has a fruity note, but I am not sure if it classifies as a 'white musk'. It is also a different type of musk than Galaxolide which may behave better in your formulations. Another one can be Helvetolide, but that's maybe too 'light' and can work in the top notes. Maybe try some combinations to see what fits your wishes?

Latest News