Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

Oct 7, 2021
I get compliments primarily at work, which is in a school district's offices. Dylan Blue usually pulls in compliments by both men and women every time I wear it. 1 Million Prive usually gets several from women. The surprise underdog, though, was Smoulder by ATH x FM. That scent absolutely reeled in compliments at work. They came mostly from women, but from two men as well. The real shocker with that one, though, was that two complete strangers complimented it while I was getting gas - one was a lady filling her car next to me and the other was the cashier inside.

FumeHood

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 6, 2011
Fidelis by Histoires de Parfums. I don't get many compliments on scent these days, but this one always garners (at the least) curiosity.

Dantheman123

Dec 3, 2018
Ted Lapidus Pour Lui. It's a very moderate, sweet vanilla and mint fragrance. Good longevity and sillage. More of a cool weather scent. I sprayed it all over myself on a 78 degree day, and people walking past me enjoyed it. The old vintages were more loud.

Also, Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme LIDGE, is also a beautiful spicey cocoa fragrance. Also, a cooler weather scent. Definitely more appreciated in the spring or fall.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
I met some friends I haven't gathered with for a long time and made a few hugs which were the first ones outside the family for just as long. I got complimented for TF - Tuscan Leather. We talked about that one is not used to get so close to people to catch their scent.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
Considering compliments probably aren't that frequent for most of us, I HAVE received what I would say is a significant number of compliments for one I bought nearly a year ago.

The fragrance is Afternoon Swim by Louis Vuitton. One of the best pure citrus fragrances I've ever smelled, and apparently, many agree.

bigtyivier2k2

May 7, 2011
I got a compliment last week at Trader Joe’s (Oud for Greatness) and yesterday from a friend I havent seen in a while (Oud for Happiness) and today from my sister (Byredo Westbrook)

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
Considering compliments probably aren't that frequent for most of us, I HAVE received what I would say is a significant number of compliments for one I bought nearly a year ago.

The fragrance is Afternoon Swim by Louis Vuitton. One of the best pure citrus fragrances I've ever smelled, and apparently, many agree.
Glad to hear! I've been reading some good things about that one but never had the opportunity to try it. Will do if I'll get the chance. Samples have been extremely high priced so far.

kelvon

Sep 26, 2008
I'll be honest. None. I really don't get how people always post about getting tons of comments on fragrances. Either I'm ugly and people don't want to talk to me, or I'm not spraying enough. I think I've maybe gotten a compliment or two in the last decade or more.
I am in the same boat, once in a while I have friends who makes a comment when I hug to say hello and goodbye, but other then that very rare. I think I can name maybe a handful times but it very rare over the past 20 years that a stranger complimented me out of the blue. It also can be because I am in NY, most people will not go up to a stranger and talk to them out of the blue, let alone give them a compliment for fear of perception that they are hitting on you. I will admit I tend to underspray then overspray, I feel very self conscious and worried it will be too much and don't want to be that cologne guy. I very rarely ever go more then 2-5 sprays max depending upon the fragrance, so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

Sep 19, 2021
I am in the same boat, once in a while I have friends who makes a comment when I hug to say hello and goodbye, but other then that very rare. I think I can name maybe a handful times but it very rare over the past 20 years that a stranger complimented me out of the blue. It also can be because I am in NY, most people will not go up to a stranger and talk to them out of the blue, let alone give them a compliment for fear of perception that they are hitting on you. I will admit I tend to underspray then overspray, I feel very self conscious and worried it will be too much and don't want to be that cologne guy. I very rarely ever go more then 2-5 sprays max depending upon the fragrance, so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.
Wow I must really under spraying. I usually spray 1 time. 2 max. I also don't want to project in a 15 foot radius.

ToughCool

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Yesterday a woman at the grocery store said I smelled great. We just had a cool front move in so I was wearing HdP 1899. I’m getting more nuances in this great scent the longer I own this.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I'll be honest. None. I really don't get how people always post about getting tons of comments on fragrances. Either I'm ugly and people don't want to talk to me, or I'm not spraying enough. I think I've maybe gotten a compliment or two in the last decade or more.
That's not unusual. There are dozens of factors that come into play before someone will compliment a fragrance.
The actual scent itself is only one part of the equation.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001

I need to get a bottle. I’ve had samples before.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Haha I feel that.
Anyway I guess the advice to myself is "pay it no mind" :)

cheesehead

Oct 20, 2021
Chanel Pour Monsieur. Wife has always liked it, ditto daughter. Then I stopped by a major law firm to deliver a draft of articles of incorporation, and the receptionist (~40-something) asked "are you wearing aftershave?" I said "is it that strong?" She replied "Not a chance. It is quiet, subtle, and I wish the young men here would wear something that nice." So I told her what it was, and she asked where it could be bought. I said "In Canada and England, regrettably not here."

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
I've finally had the opportunity to navigate wearing fragrance at my new job, only it is tricky as the boss doesn't like cologne and was going to ban me from wearing anything until she heard 'thru the grapevine' that I would quit rather than stop wearing scents. It got back to me 'thru the grapevine' that I was good IF I didn't over-apply or wear something obnoxious. I've had to learn discretion. Apparently that means expensive scents like Dior Homme Intense and Homme 2020, Egoiste Plantinum/Himalaya, Terre DHermes, Royal/SilverMountain/Virgin Island Water are fine and she will occasionally compliment those. I work in an interior design studio with several women and they also love those. However they all absolutely loathed both Dylan Blue and Eros.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I got complimented on POLO at my bartending job over the weekend. One of the girls said I smelled good and the girl next to her said 'he always smells good'.
As a side note to this and for those who rarely get compliments, bear in mind people are paying attention even if you don't think so.

Though rare, I've had few experiences where someone I see frequently has commented on a scent and either they or someone else has followed up with "he always smells good."

People notice even if they don't comment.

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
It sounds to me like once they knew the name brands, they were biased against those two. In a blind test, I bet they’d feel differently. Just my two scents, I don’t know.
That's quite interesting. Certainly goes against the grain with many of the online reviewers....
I actually didn't mention the brand until after the Eros wear when my co-worker told me 'whatever you wore yesterday and a couple of days ago wasn't very pleasant' referring to days I wore those. I am in a rotation of Chanel/Creed/Hermes/Dior scents that seem to totally work without any controversy. I have short 4 hour shifts on Saturdays when I man the design studio myself which lets me wear whatever I want which is cool. I guess with my coworkers anything 'blue' or overly 'synthetic' will trigger dislike so I can't be as adventurous. Apparently if I'm going to play the role of high end/niche designer I have to wear high end designer and niche scents. That sounds so snobby. Keep in mind I would be happy lounging around my house wearing the likes of Drakkar Noir, PS, or Paco in sweatpants or shorts with my cat.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
It sounds to me like once they knew the name brands, they were biased against those two. In a blind test, I bet they’d feel differently. Just my two scents, I don’t know.
Dylan Blue will forever be associated with this cute redhead in our Sales team who used to seek me out on days I would wear it to the office. I probably spritzed twice under my shirt, but the sillage just hung in the air and it was just a matter of time before she came over..

That was years ago when we still physically worked in an office.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
As a side note to this and for those who rarely get compliments, bear in mind people are paying attention even if you don't think so.

Though rare, I've had few experiences where someone I see frequently has commented on a scent and either they or someone else has followed up with "he always smells good."

People notice even if they don't comment.
Very true. When I used to get compliments in the elevator coming up to work, there's usually nodding or follow up agreement once that first person breaks the ice.

Latest News