Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
One of my co-workers (totally different dept. elsewhere in the building) dropped by the office - despite wearing a mask she asked what fragrance I'm wearing and said she could smell it (I only did ~2 sprays! One to torso under shirt, and 1 to forearm). Then she said it smells good.

Xerjoff - Al-Khatt

wood500

Feb 17, 2011
I went outside to get in my wife's car after she got off work with my first wearing of Initio Oud For Greatness. In 2 seconds she was gushing about how incredible I smelled. I normally get a "you smell good" but this was way over the top!

Rabidsenses

May 10, 2019
For whatever reason this past Autumn it’s been Scent Intense by Costume National.

One thing I’ve come to learn is that I neither plan it that way nor is it ever the scent that I might otherwise expect will gather a compliment. I’m just reporting for the purposes of this thread as a matter of interest. I’m probably more in kinship with many others who have previously stated in these two threads that they wear their fragrances primarily for themselves, if not entirely. Still, I am always amused which ones end up getting complimented as most times it’s not what I was expecting . . . and that’s the part that keeps it interesting.

Uni No Uta

Oct 25, 2019
Compliments are few and far between these days, with everyone masked up and standing a distance apart.

Two I’ve had complimented recently-ish: Ummagumma (Bruno Fazzolari) and Dolls (Moth & Rabbit). The SO (female) looooves Ummagumma.

Complimenters: female in both cases.

DEMON

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2010
Typically, I am very politically correct. But I'm not going to be in this particular instance. If my nephew tells me he likes my cologne, that is NOT to be categorized with a beautiful woman passing me in a grocery store and telling me, "oooooh.... You smell AMAZING!"

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A THREAD DEDICATED TO COMPLIMENTS THAT WE RECEIVED FROM WOMEN TO WHOM WE ARE NOT RELATED THERE IS AN ACTUAL PURPOSE FOR IT! SOME GUYS ONLY WEAR COLOGNE TO ATTRACT WOMEN. SORRY... I DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON. I thought I just took the caps lock off. Okay, that's better.

So if there's a fragrance that we wear for the office versus going to a club when we are single, that difference should be recognized. There are a variety of purposes for fragrance.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Typically, I am very politically correct. But I'm not going to be in this particular instance. If my nephew tells me he likes my cologne, that is NOT to be categorized with a beautiful woman passing me in a grocery store and telling me, "oooooh.... You smell AMAZING!"

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A THREAD DEDICATED TO COMPLIMENTS THAT WE RECEIVED FROM WOMEN TO WHOM WE ARE NOT RELATED THERE IS AN ACTUAL PURPOSE FOR IT! SOME GUYS ONLY WEAR COLOGNE TO ATTRACT WOMEN. SORRY... I DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON. I thought I just took the caps lock off. Okay, that's better.

So if there's a fragrance that we wear for the office versus going to a club when we are single, that difference should be recognized. There are a variety of purposes for fragrance.

Nah, it's fine here. People can read for themselves to get the context and such around a lot of these. It's just for good fun.

cadenz

Apr 14, 2011
I was in BJ's with a friend when she suddenly gushed, "You smell GOOD!" I was mildly taken aback because I had just recently received the fragrance from the mail man. I merrily thanked her and bore in mind that Royal Bain de Caron "Champagne" and I were going to be seeing a lot of the world this spring!

Stretch

Aug 3, 2019
A compliment from friends or someone at a family gathering is totally different than an unsolicited compliment from a woman that finds your scent attractive. The original thread made a point of distinguishing the two. This thread does not, and that is frustrating. Certainly, hearing about which fragrances get you ANY sort of compliments has it's merits and I can appreciate that. Yet I imagine that I speak for the majority here when I say that's not why I checked the old thread.

OP's comment in this thread actually reads as trying to be more inclusive to the gay members of this community, which I think is a great idea! It's vaguely and clumsily worded, but it's well-meaning, and I certainly don't want any gay guys to feel left out. Something along the lines of "What fragrance has gotten you the most compliments from the sex you're attracted to?", accomplishes the goal of the original thread, but is also worded better to include everyone :)

One of two things needs to happen to continue the spirit of the first thread:

1. Make a new thread that has language inclusive to gay members of this group i.e. "What fragrance has gotten you the most compliments from the sex you're attracted to?"

2. Make a new thread and require each poster to state WHO gave them a compliment, so that we can distinguish between dates, girlfriends, wives, random woman (or man!) on the street that was attracted to you/your scent, and your buddy Brian or cousin at a family gathering that said "I like that cologne!".

TL;DR A compliment from a woman or man that finds YOU ATTRACTIVE is completely different than a compliment coming from a family member or friend. This thread does not separate the two. The old one did. OP sounds like he doesn't want to exclude any gay guys in this thread, and tried to word it accordingly. This has nothing to do with political correctness- it has to do with getting compliments rooted in sexual or physical attraction.

BrandDC

Nov 30, 2020
I passed by a couple of women in a department store a few days ago and I overheard one of them say "He smells gooooood..."

I was wearing Fragrance One - Office for Men...the Eau de Cologne formulation which is marketed as a deodorant. I use it as a regular fragrance (a spray behind each ear) and it outperforms many EDTs. You can find a 100ml bottle for under $40 which is a great value considering the EDP version is nearly $200 undiscounted.

BrandDC

Nov 30, 2020
Sounds like your fragrance arrives a few minutes before your body does. Whatever works for you! :thumbsup:

Had the first date in a little while where I was punching above my weight, on Saturday just gone. One of those where you decide a couple of days in advance what you are going to wear clothes and scent wise. It was a nice meal at The Ivy (medium - high-end restaurant in the UK) in my city, I went with a black shirt tucked in, jeans and dark boots. The smarter end of smart casual was the order of the night. I'm 27, the woman is 30.

Now I've set the scene... I was originally planning to wear TF Ombre Leather, a scent that I was waiting on in the mail and would suit the outfit I'd picked perfectly. Has a decent projection and performance in my eyes so should last me the evening. Anyway... It didn't arrive in time.

I was about to go with AdG Profumo BUT I remembered I had a 3ml sample of Aqua Di Parma - Colonia Leather on my shelf that I'd NEVER tried, risky... Anyway, I went with 3 sprays to the chest, two to the neck and one behind each ear (YES I belong in the over sprayers lounge), and I added two sprays to my shirt in the lift on the way up to her flat which is where I met her.

As soon as she opened the door she commented 'oh you smell lovely'. Mission success... although that wasn't all. On the way to the taxi she commented positively on the scent again, and after a one spray re-application in the restroom of the restaurant (about 2 hours in), she commented on it again, all very positive... When I got home, I ordered 180ml of the stuff, what a find.

Hopefully, the story set the scene for you a bit with regards to compliments from a female, I think context helps.

TLDR; AdP - Colonia Leather got me 3+ compliments from a 10/10 on third date.

cameron

Oct 17, 2011
I passed by a couple of women in a department store a few days ago and I overheard one of them say "He smells gooooood..."

I was wearing Fragrance One - Office for Men...the Eau de Cologne formulation which is marketed as a deodorant. I use it as a regular fragrance (a spray behind each ear) and it outperforms many EDTs. You can find a 100ml bottle for under $40 which is a great value considering the EDP version is nearly $200 undiscounted.

Yes!!!!!!!!

boosh

Mar 1, 2010
My fiancé gave me a rare compliment yesterday evening. She took a large inhale of my chest and said that it smelt delicious and of vanilla.

This was 12 hours after spraying HdP 1725, which I could no longer detect.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
My fiancé gave me a rare compliment yesterday evening. She took a large inhale of my chest and said that it smelt delicious and of vanilla.

This was 12 hours after spraying HdP 1725, which I could no longer detect.

Nice! I always wonder if anyone can smell me long after I can't smell myself.

vitaman

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 14, 2008
Don't think of this as a compliment getter but received 2 at work yesterday from 2 women who have almost opposite taste. One has liked 3 perfumes she has smelled on me in 8 years. The other likes 95% of what I wear.
The fragrance is not one I think about as universally loved .....Oceania by Roja Dove.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Just stumbled upon this thread.

End of last December, ride from airport to home, female cab driver said I smelled very nice and asked what I was wearing - Creed Bois du Portugal. Mind you both of us were wearing masks. Not sure if pandering for a tip but whatevs I'll take what I can get and she got a nice tip to boot :laugh:

PS - I couldn't smell it on myself so I thought the scent faded but 8 hours later it was still pumping I guess?

IMG_5148.jpg

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
Don't think of this as a compliment getter but received 2 at work yesterday from 2 women who have almost opposite taste. One has liked 3 perfumes she has smelled on me in 8 years. The other likes 95% of what I wear.
The fragrance is not one I think about as universally loved .....Oceania by Roja Dove.

This one has given me a few compliments too. It is just very nice and inoffensive.

fluffmaster

Mar 14, 2011
Female co-workers whom I pass by while they are sitting in the gallery for tea. They are quite a gang when together and don't miss commenting on how superb I smell. Quite a scene with other male workers feeling jealous and unable to compete.

Creed Himalaya

Brian5701

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 28, 2009
You have to be one of the few other members who has gotten compliments on Amyris Homme. It just works

Right? Amyris gets a lot of hate for not being original, but I think it's perfectly blended and appropriate at all times. It's sweet, but not too sweet. There's nothing artificial or harsh about it. The comments I got were from total strangers as well.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
Right? Amyris gets a lot of hate for not being original, but I think it's perfectly blended and appropriate at all times. It's sweet, but not too sweet. There's nothing artificial or harsh about it. The comments I got were from total strangers as well.

Yeah its definitely a niche and superior version of a mainstream scent. But that's the thing, it doesn't smell like any other scent, its only reminiscent of a mainstream vibe. Also when the chocolate note comes in, its incredible!

I've gotten a few compliments on it as well

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
DHI - You smell like a very good chocolate-y make up bag!

Been a while since a recent bottle got that kind of compliment. I thought only the vintage ones had the note

cadenz

Apr 14, 2011
As I took my coat off in her office, my dentist told me how nice I was smelling and we were wearing our masks! Initio's Side Effect!

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Haha oh wow. My first time wearing Le Male Eau Fraiche (Andre edition) to work. 3 sprays - 1 under shirt to left side torso, 1 on each forearm.
One of the ladies in the office was walking and said "something smells good in here". Then came around my area and asked if it's my cologne. It was. I asked her what she's smelling, and she literally (not joking!) even said 'fresh'.

I do like this one. It smells like a lighter Le Male mixed with a fabric softener sheet or something.

Maybe it's stronger than I realized! Perhaps 2 sprays next time?

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
Threw on a sample of midnight in Paris edp today.

Got a nice compliment from the McDonald's drive through girl while I was getting a Big Mac.

Went home and lucked out and found someone selling a 75ml bottle.

cameron

Oct 17, 2011
Threw on a sample of midnight in Paris edp today.

Got a nice compliment from the McDonald's drive through girl while I was getting a Big Mac.

Went home and lucked out and found someone selling a 75ml bottle.

It’s great. My wife loves it and went thru a bottle. Cant find it now.

sunny5011

Jun 24, 2009
It’s great. My wife loves it and went thru a bottle. Cant find it now.

yeah I feel your pain, I fondly remember wearing Gucci pour Homme 2 to the bars one time and I got almost 4 compliments in one night. I ran out of juice a while ago but now you have to pay outrageous prices for a bottle of GPII

Latest News