Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

sunny5011

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 24, 2009
Got multiple compliments on Bois Imperial, and I mean MULTIPLE on the same days.
Many asked me to write the name down. This thing is doing better than aventus ever has

Lil Teddy

Sep 29, 2022
Got multiple compliments on Bois Imperial, and I mean MULTIPLE on the same days.
Many asked me to write the name down. This thing is doing better than aventus ever h

Many asked me to write the name down. This thing is doing better than aventus ever has
Same here, I got Bois Imperial in July.. compliments all the time. I went on a short hike when I was in LA and two older women a good 8 plus feet away stopped me, really radiates off skin like no other. I actually just bought the Bois Imperial body wash off the official website and another 10ml.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I'll admit—even though I have a note sensitivity and don't like it personally—Bois Imperial earned the best compliment ever from my 8-year-old daughter. I often ask her what she thinks of scents, and she gets a kick out of giving feedback. Usually it's like "ooh, spicy" or "that one's strong". For Bois Imperial, she said, "You smell amazing! That's my favorite of anything you've worn."

I can't wear it myself, but the compliment magnet reputation is real.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I'll admit—even though I have a note sensitivity and don't like it personally—Bois Imperial earned the best compliment ever from my 8-year-old daughter. I often ask her what she thinks of scents, and she gets a kick out of giving feedback. Usually it's like "ooh, spicy" or "that one's strong". For Bois Imperial, she said, "You smell amazing! That's my favorite of anything you've worn."

I can't wear it myself, but the compliment magnet reputation is real.
Daughters can be are biggest critics and best complimenters. Definitely worth listening to!

sniffer64

Feb 3, 2011
The mods requested starting a new thread since the previous compliments thread got very long.

Below is a link to the previous thread.
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/212334-Which-scent-gets-you-the-most-female-compliments

This thread is now more broad and compliments given by males can be posted as well.

Please state the sex of the individual(s) providing the compliment(s) as it will help with yearend tallying purposes.

Mods can you please sticky this and close the other thread.

Thanks
Not that anyone will be reading this after 900 other posts, but I am amazed that there are very few fragrances that get more than a single mention. As some have mentioned, a really good-looking or personable guy is more likely to be complimented on a fragrance than a grumpy old man. And I really wear fragrances for ME. But that isn't what the OP asked for. So, I have gotten the most compliments (maybe 2 or 3) from non-related, similarly-aged women on Guerlain Pour Homme, with 1 - 2 each for Jacques Bogart Silver and Azzaro Pour Homme. Vintage Chanel Anteus used to get a few compliments from guys when I lived in San Francisco.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
The real deal, the compliment black hole, the swoon-inducing monster, the fragrance EVERYONE wants to smell on me: Giorgio Beverly Hills PH.

And I like it, but don't love it, so I don't use it that often because I wear perfume for myself (sorry, Madame de Nicolaï!).

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Same here, I got Bois Imperial in July.. compliments all the time. I went on a short hike when I was in LA and two older women a good 8 plus feet away stopped me, really radiates off skin like no other. I actually just bought the Bois Imperial body wash off the official website and another 10ml.

I have this on the way from Luckyscent so hoping I get the love others are getting!

Suppressor

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 7, 2006
Amouage - Reflection Man
Reformulated version - magnetic cap.

3 sprays on my chest.
A huge compliment 9 hours after application.
"You smell delicious, is that Dior?"

Didn't know it was this strong...

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
I don't know if this one counts but I figure I would post it. I was at a strip club with friends last week, I go maybe a few times a year on special occasions for friends birthdays nice upscale place, Usually compliments from strippers don't mean much to me since I know they will say anything just get you to tip and buy lapdances. In the past I have gotten compliments from various other fragrances I have worn there but simple like "you smell good" but this time the reactions I got was a bit out of the ordinary then normal. One bartender said "whoever is wearing that perfume smells amazing pointing to our group" , Every stripper that came up to me made a comment like "you smell damn good", everyone asked me what was the name. One stripper literally put her nose in my neck and did not want to stop smelling. Like I said the reactions were a bit over the top for what I normally get, my friends were all jealous.

It was Bois Imperial by Essential Parfum with 5 sprays (might have oversprayed too, usually I do no more then 3)

Take it at face value , I have yet to get a unsolicited compliment from anyone else so who knows.

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
With all due respect, these all bois imperial posts seem fishy to me.

😂. I was thinking the same thing but didn’t want to say it. I can usually “get” why something turns into a compliment monster. But this will go down as one of my worst blind buys. I get how some may like it and we all have different noses. I don’t get the complete adoration of something with this scent profile. It’s one of all my years here where I truly am at a loss and really think my nose is missing something. There have been SO many reactions to this.

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
like i said take it at face value I mean it was a strip club so I don't put much into it, I just found it very interesting, and yet to get any compliments from friends, or family so maybe it was just all a way to get me to spend more money, I don't deny that, I Just thought it was very interesting compared to my past experiences there. I also hardly get unsolicited compliments in general, maybe a few times a year if that, I just thought I would share my experience. I also have no reason to lie about it since I have been a member for a very long time and can see I hardly post in this thread.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
It’s fair to question, but I’ve now experienced this myself. (And I’m a Bois Imperial hater.) I think it smells like bug spray and it gives me a headache, but my daughter smelled it on me and absolutely loved it. It just seems to have that effect on some people.

vul

Dec 15, 2020
like i said take it at face value I mean it was a strip club so I don't put much into it, I just found it very interesting, and yet to get any compliments from friends, or family so maybe it was just all a way to get me to spend more money, I don't deny that, I Just thought it was very interesting compared to my past experiences there. I also hardly get unsolicited compliments in general, maybe a few times a year if that, I just thought I would share my experience. I also have no reason to lie about it since I have been a member for a very long time and can see I hardly post in this thread.
oh, no. i didn't want to offend you by any means. sure you are a very respectable and honest person. apologies .

Jan 20, 2019
I think it smells like bug spray and it gives me a headache, but my daughter smelled it on me and absolutely loved it.

It's definitely like the "Blue Wave" aromachems in this same, exact manner:. To some, fantastic, to others, horrendous nose needles. Extreme, polar opposites.

I don't remember this level of disparity with regards to vintage frags. It's usually a note or accord that people dislike because they don't like the underlying material in real life, in lieu of the materials chemical effect on the olfactory senses.

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I got two enthusiastic compliments today while getting my haircut. My place carries Creed, Roja and an assorted other niche colognes. They used to carry HdP. My regular stylist was like “Chris you smell so good! Is that the one we used to sell here…” The girl who sometimes cuts my hair was washing some ones hair where it is darker and when I walked in she said “Chris is that you? You smell amazing. That has to be 1899.” Yup!

Cold weather plus HdP 1899 is a hit! Love this with a sweater

Danny Mitchell

Basenotes Institution
Mar 21, 2019
Got two nice compliments on BBW Coffee and Whiskey from a coworker and also my son today. I wore 6 sprays because it is a close wearing scent.
Close wearing, eh? I always viewed B&BW frags as pretty loud, almost headache inducing. I wonder if they have started toning them down or if it's just the Coffee and Whiskey.

Anyway, I got a compliment on my POLO two days back. We have a new Ops Supervisor and she said my office smelled goood. The stuff still projects!

Lil Teddy

Sep 29, 2022
Two nights ago at a big outdoor dinner I got a compliment from someone 7-8 feet away said I smelled like boozy cologne or good whiskey, this one leaves a big trail!

Nasamatto Bararonda

Last edited:

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
ok so I think this bois imperial is the real deal and a people pleaser, went to get a haircut, as soon as I sat down first thing she said "you smell good" , with two sprays about 2.5 hours before I went.

Aug 16, 2022
ok so I think this bois imperial is the real deal and a people pleaser, went to get a haircut, as soon as I sat down first thing she said "you smell good" , with two sprays about 2.5 hours before I went.
Let me know when they come out with mens imperial.

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
Funny. I wore Bois Imperial for work for the first time yesterday, I just got a 10 ml bottle, and I was about to write something like "no compliments at work, even when wearing BI" but that would just sound silly. And we never compliment each other on fragrances at my work place. Haircuts, clothes, good manners and so on but never fragrances. The only one I can remember in five years was me complimenting a co-worker :) Don't know why it like this really.

But! I had a meeting with my boss before the end of the day. I sat in a room and waited for her, and immediately as she entered she complimented me for smelling so good. She told me how good it was and that it was really fresh. That was 8 hours after application, so this one is very potent!

After coming home I reapplied two small sprays for the evening dinner I was invited to. I met with two friends and I got complimented for smelling very nice as I came. That is not unusual though. My friend knows my passion for fragrances and compliment me from time to time. Friend number two chimed in and told me it was a really good one. I said I wanted to freshen up before the dinner and asked if it was too much. He is usually pretty straight forward but he said it was perfectly fine.

This seems to be very like-able. I can't really see why :) But sure, it is pretty nice. But I know many other fragrances that is without getting this reactions

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...