Where can I find a good-strong realistic tobacco absolute on EU sites ?

Onefragrance

Basenotes Member
Aug 26, 2021
I tried a tobacco absolute but it had a smell like fruity-sweet-propolis with mild projection. I'm looking for a strong tobacco absolute with a smell of Virginia/ Burley tobacco dried grinded leafs. Or an ac like that if it exists.

Thanks!

Quay Limey

Nov 1, 2020
Some of the absolutes from Hermitage are very nice if you haven’t already tried them. But, if you want to get that tobacco note standing out in a fragrance then you’re going to have to look at making an accord to support the absolute or just make a good tobacco note without using any real tobacco. In fact, the absolute can be used for non-tobacco accords, such as dried fruit.

It’s worth searching this forum for opinions on tobacco accords or even detailed lists of constituents of tobacco in various states of preparation; fresh leaf, dried leaf, cured leaf etc.

Also, if you search the internet for tobacco flavourings and “casings” you might be lucky enough to find some good info which in turn will help develop a realistic tobacco accord, not through using a good absolute, but by creating aromas associated with commercially available tobacco.

As a point of note, one of my absolutes smells as you describe yours, with a definite honeyed nuance.

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
Tobacco absolute often has that sweet long lasting hay almost bran notes and soft fruity-cherry nuance. Oriental tobacco Hermitage is more cigary and strong, but I prefer to use their Virginia, easier for me, and it has more of that dried tobacco leaf smell. Their burley is the most sweet and cherry like.
I'm not sure that exists a natural tobacco abs with that full vivid fresh tobacco smell.

Maybe some other useful in that side are clary sage abs, java vetiver, cade, ethyl safranate, methyl 2-furoate, oxoisophorone, theaspirane.

Onefragrance

Basenotes Member
Aug 26, 2021
Some of the absolutes from Hermitage are very nice if you haven’t already tried them. But, if you want to get that tobacco note standing out in a fragrance then you’re going to have to look at making an accord to support the absolute or just make a good tobacco note without using any real tobacco. In fact, the absolute can be used for non-tobacco accords, such as dried fruit.

It’s worth searching this forum for opinions on tobacco accords or even detailed lists of constituents of tobacco in various states of preparation; fresh leaf, dried leaf, cured leaf etc.

Also, if you search the internet for tobacco flavourings and “casings” you might be lucky enough to find some good info which in turn will help develop a realistic tobacco accord, not through using a good absolute, but by creating aromas associated with commercially available tobacco.

As a point of note, one of my absolutes smells as you describe yours, with a definite honeyed nuance.

Thank you for the advice. I didn't try nothing from Hermitage but I heard good things about them.

Onefragrance

Basenotes Member
Aug 26, 2021
Tobacco absolute often has that sweet long lasting hay almost bran notes and soft fruity-cherry nuance. Oriental tobacco Hermitage is more cigary and strong, but I prefer to use their Virginia, easier for me, and it has more of that dried tobacco leaf smell. Their burley is the most sweet and cherry like.
I'm not sure that exists a natural tobacco abs with that full vivid fresh tobacco smell.

Maybe some other useful in that side are clary sage abs, java vetiver, cade, ethyl safranate, methyl 2-furoate, oxoisophorone, theaspirane.

I like very much the smell of Virginia tobacco. The vintage Kent 100's cigarettes from the 90's had that quality tobacco smell. Indeed a very nice evocative-nostalgic smell.

How strong Virginia absolute is projecting and how long it lasts ? Ratio of dilution?

Also the oriental tobacco absolute has that slightly stinky-old smell ?

Thanks!

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
I like very much the smell of Virginia tobacco. The vintage Kent 100's cigarettes from the 90's had that quality tobacco smell. Indeed a very nice evocative-nostalgic smell.

How strong Virginia absolute is projecting and how long it lasts ? Ratio of dilution?

Also the oriental tobacco absolute has that slightly stinky-old smell ?

Thanks!

I use at 5% dilution, it is strong and last enough, but their Burley last much more.
Oriental is the strongest but last less than other. I don't smell stinky. This is drier and more real good pipe smell, maybe you prefer Oriental, than other 2 that are more like fermented tobacco.

Onefragrance

Basenotes Member
Aug 26, 2021
I use at 5% dilution, it is strong and last enough, but their Burley last much more.
Oriental is the strongest but last less than other. I don't smell stinky. This is drier and more real good pipe smell, maybe you prefer Oriental, than other 2 that are more like fermented tobacco.

Thanks.

I'd have to try them to see how they smell.

Btw , if you know, does the professional perfumers that make tobacco fragrances use these absolutes , or they just skilfully mix certain A.C's until they get that note of tobacco?

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
Thanks.

I'd have to try them to see how they smell.

Btw , if you know, does the professional perfumers that make tobacco fragrances use these absolutes , or they just skilfully mix certain A.C's until they get that note of tobacco?
I didn't smelled many tobacco fragrances unluckyness. I think they usually use more the blonde tobacco similar to Burley, that is softer and more usable along with other materials, maybe with some ac's to reinforce the reality of tobacco leaf note.

I prefer their Virginia in a boozy blend, instead the Burley with flowers.

Quay Limey

Nov 1, 2020
does the professional perfumers that make tobacco fragrances use these absolutes , or they just skilfully mix certain A.C's until they get that note of tobacco?
Name some of the fragrances you're thinking of and maybe someone will be able to confirm whether or not tobacco absolute is present within the formula.

Onefragrance

Basenotes Member
Aug 26, 2021
Name some of the fragrances you're thinking of and maybe someone will be able to confirm whether or not tobacco absolute is present within the formula.

2012 D&G pour homme- good tobacco note in the opening mixed with something sweet.

2006 Herrera for Men- good tobacco note in the opening with some citrus but unfortunately in the mid and base that tobacco note faded and a note similar to dried lovage popped up.

Latest News