When It's Time to Sell a Fragrance or Fragrances

classics4me

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
I've never sold fragrances--given some away to good homes--but never sold any. I do have a handful of them I believe I can live without, but yet, am struggling some. Now, my collection is small--only 20--so storage is obviously not an issue.

What rules or guidelines do you use when deciding it's time to sell or give a fragrance away? If selling, what platform(s) do you recommend. Thank you.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
How does one get on your reject list?
If I haven't done my research well which happens at times, and as a result, have erred in terms of country of origin, gender marketing or size of the fragrance, it's a rejection for me.

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
I've never sold fragrances--given some away to good homes--but never sold any. I do have a handful of them I believe I can live without, but yet, am struggling some. Now, my collection is small--only 20--so storage is obviously not an issue.

What rules or guidelines do you use when deciding it's time to sell or give a fragrance away? If selling, what platform(s) do you recommend. Thank you.
I'm in a similar boat - smallish collection of about 30 full bottles (not counting minis and aftershaves). A few were blind buy cheapies that I like but don't love. Now I'm at a similar stage as the scents that aren't quite "me" get crowded out by the things I do love. My instinct is to give them some time, maybe circle back and see if my opinion shifts as the bottles macerate and my tastes evolve, and if I still don't love them in a few months, think about moving them along.

I see you've since posted a couple bottles in the "free to a good home" thread, and that seems like the best way to thin the herd overall. If you end up with any bottles on the pricier side that you'd rather not just give away, another option to consider (besides outright selling) is to post them in your trade list. I hadn't really thought of that before, but after a fellow basenoter reached out to me about a few things I had listed in my wishlist, I just did my first basenotes trade--moved along a few aftershaves I wasn't using and scored a bottle of Havana and a vintage decant of Aramis, both of which I've been meaning to try. (Both arrived yesterday and I'll get to try them tomorrow.) I suppose trades aren't helpful if the goal is to slim down the collection, but it's a cost effective way to keep the fun going!

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
There’s so many I have sold… some of them I liked and wanted to love even, but they gave me headaches. Some I like the idea of, but never wear them. Basically it boils down to: does the perfume spark joy or not. I am only selling locally within my EU country and the neighbors, through a local perfume site.

DoctorM81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
I very rarely sell - I'd estimate I've only ever sold less than 5 bottles. However, a couple of those transactions went bad ("lost" in the mail/buyer didn't receive, and an entirely spurious 'fake' claim); combined with both the auction site and the UK postal services making selling fragrances much more difficult in recent years, it's unlikely I'll consider selling anything again for the foreseeable future.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
While quite useful as an idea for many scent wardrobes, still did never sell so far any scents in the wardrobe- due to simply liking all or most of them way to much.
As well as never having any dire and/or immediate need, want etc. for any amount of money gotten from the selling transaction, at least none (so far) able to exceed the delight of actually owning and wearing certain specific fragrances.

growly

Apr 23, 2018
So I’m reading this thread…

How does one get on your reject list?
If I haven't done my research well which happens at times, and as a result, have erred in terms of country of origin, gender marketing or size of the fragrance, it's a rejection for me.

I was actually asking how a person gets on that list.
I just take them to my company, leave them with my secretary at reception for any employee who wants them. They are usually snatched up rather quickly so I know someone will enjoy them.

—-

I had visions of hedonic piling people into the back of an SUV or truck, like mannequins (in a scene out of Black Mirror or dystopian sci-fi), driving to work and leaving them at reception, where the personal assistant (secretary is such an outdated word) offers them as romantic partners, domestic servants or to fill whatever need the employees have in their lives.

Come to think if it some job interviews seem a little like that.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve sold on eBay, I’ve sold here. I look through the Fragrance Wanted posts, and if anyone wants something I have that I’m ready to part with, I’ll sell, trade, or give away, depending on what it is.

Or, if I have a FB and they want a taste, I’ll send a small decant. It’s not as if I’m going to use up what I have in my lifetime.

mustardsalad

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 27, 2016
I'm in the same boat - I'm torn between selling bottles on eBay, where I'd have a larger reach but risk dealing with bogus "Item Not as Described" claims, or here on basenotes, where there would be a smaller reach and probably take longer to sell.

Latest posts

Latest News