What's Wow'd You Lately?

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Cartier XII L'Heure Mysterieux
Sometimes a fragrance really takes time to grow on you. I bought this almost two years ago, and while I always though it was interesting I didn't feel like wearing it much. I wore it today and it just smelled glorious. I've never smelled anything like it, it is so earthy like damp soil yet there is also something refined about it. There is something very subtle brightening it up like a warm glow at the center, maybe it's the jasmine or camphorous elements of the resins. The perfect balance between rough and refined. It also wears beautifully, it feels plush with a soft but persistent texture that wraps around you all day.

My only experience with this line is through IV: L'Heure Fougueuse, which I own and really, really like – such an oddball. They are so hard to come by in my part of Europe that I've almost given up – the sample vials go for €40+ on eBay, which is crazy. I think it's such an overlooked line but Cartier isn't doing anyone favours. I see it resembles Dzing! to some people, do you get that as well?

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
My only experience with this line is through IV: L'Heure Fougueuse, which I own and really, really like – such an oddball. They are so hard to come by in my part of Europe that I've almost given up – the sample vials go for €40+ on eBay, which is crazy. I think it's such an overlooked line but Cartier isn't doing anyone favours. I see it resembles Dzing! to some people, do you get that as well?
I've not tried Dzing so I can't say, but based on notes I can see the comparison. IV has yet to turn into a love for me, but I really like it and find it extremely interesting.

Mysterieux has a similar hay like earthiness but is warmer and lacks the green notes of Fougueuse.

They are really hard to find in store. Even in nyc, I was blind buying them from fragrancenet during the pandemic because the Cartier boutique was appointment only for awhile and I felt a bit silly making an appointment to go try fragrances, lol. But recently I found the Bloomingdales flagship here carries the whole line which is a treat!

I don't want to stoke reform paranoia on one experience, but the Mysterieux I tried there seemed much lighter and probably easier to wear than my old packaging bottle, but it could just be due to age or the noise of other scents in the air at the dept store.

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
I've not tried Dzing so I can't say, but based on notes I can see the comparison. IV has yet to turn into a love for me, but I really like it and find it extremely interesting.

Mysterieux has a similar hay like earthiness but is warmer and lacks the green notes of Fougueuse.

They are really hard to find in store. Even in nyc, I was blind buying them from fragrancenet during the pandemic because the Cartier boutique was appointment only for awhile and I felt a bit silly making an appointment to go try fragrances, lol. But recently I found the Bloomingdales flagship here carries the whole line which is a treat!

I don't want to stoke reform paranoia on one experience, but the Mysterieux I tried there seemed much lighter and probably easier to wear than my old packaging bottle, but it could just be due to age or the noise of other scents in the air at the dept store.

It does sound appealing and I agree about IV, an oddball – it's a rare but oh-so-good indulgence for me :)
No stores in my country carry Cartier exclusives, I got lucky with IV on the second-hand market and bought it for pennies. It would be a shame if they've reformulated for the worse but I do like the new bottles and I guess the string colours make it a bit easier to judge the contents. I'd love to try I, III, VII, XI, XII and XIII.

Any idea why they skipped the ninth hour in this collection? It should be an incense fragrance.

Last edited:

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Thanks for the update! Can’t say I’m a fan of anything from Xerjoff so I’ll have to proceed with caution
I’m not either! I like Camel ok from Zoologist. If you are at scent bar or need another sample for an order at Luckyscent, I still highly recommend. I’ve been trying to find out if the brand still offer 250ml flasks of no 2. My 50ml is half gone.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Recently discovered certain apparently simple yet precisely non complicated enjoyably natural smelling scent choices by l'Occitane like Neroli & Orchidee Eau Intense, Cerisier Etoile and at least one 2022 Herbae flanker as organic fragrances with a versatile inoffensive everyday appropriateness.
While also with a certain depth and complexity above the average standards in their price range.

Sep 29, 2022
I'd love to try I, III, VII, XI, XII and XIII.
Cartier XIII (Treizieme) is SO good. I am going through a very generous decant now, and know that I want a full bottle.

Somehow I think the whole Cartier "Les Heures' line is overpriced, even though I find them to be of very high quality and far-above-average creativity (kudos, Mathilde Laurent.) Maybe it is because the bottles are 75ML...

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
Cartier XIII (Treizieme) is SO good. I am going through a very generous decant now, and know that I want a full bottle.

Somehow I think the whole Cartier "Les Heures' line is overpriced, even though I find them to be of very high quality and far-above-average creativity (kudos, Mathilde Laurent.) Maybe it is because the bottles are 75ML...

Thanks, and yeah, that's the one I'm most interested in. Most of all to see how it compares to Patchouli 24 from Le Labo which I have and love. Any input on that? True on pricing, I've never considered buying them at the retail price (€90 is what I paid for IV).

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015

Ayy, makes me wish I had bought this when it showed up on fragrancenet but at the time I was afraid it would be redundant with XII Mysterieux. I wonder if the discounter stock of this line is drying up now that most of the old packaging has sold off. I greedily hope more will arrive at some point.

RawM.I.A.

Wait, What's That Smell?!
Basenotes Plus
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks, and yeah, that's the one I'm most interested in. Most of all to see how it compares to Patchouli 24 from Le Labo which I have and love. Any input on that? True on pricing, I've never considered buying them at the retail price (€90 is what I paid for IV).
I haven’t tried them side by side, but I own the Cartier & I’ve sampled the Le Labo, I was amazed at how similar they are.

Sep 29, 2022
Ayy, makes me wish I had bought this when it showed up on fragrancenet but at the time I was afraid it would be redundant with XII Mysterieux. I wonder if the discounter stock of this line is drying up now that most of the old packaging has sold off. I greedily hope more will arrive at some point.

4ML sample vials are cheap and abundant on eBay!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...