What’s the rarest fragrance in your collection

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Believe it or not, they all smell good to great. The only ones I haven’t tried yet are the 100-year-old Crowns, which will come at the end of my current Crown survey in the Vintage SOTD thread.

If I've pieced your history together correctly, I believe you had an extensive Crown collection even before you joined Basenotes or started broadening your collections of other vintage houses, did you not?

If I may ask: what got you interested in the house of Crown originally?

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
You can recognize those still struggling with this lesson, the intense paranoia of reformulation, foaming at the mouth for a particular batch, burying themselves under a pile of backups. A battle with the psyche playing out on these very boards! :grin:

Speaking of reformulations: There are maybe 15 fragrances in my collection that I've liked enough to also buy the vintage version. Quite surprisingly, only a couple (!!) have turned out to be clearly better, i.e., you don't need a side by side test to determine the vintage is superior.

The lesson? If I love the reformulation, it's unlikely the vintage is worth it - on pure enjoyment terms alone, that is. Of course, there may be other reasons for me to buy the vintage (good price, collectability, backups, OCD, adrenalin, excitement etc.)

The good news is, unless the juice has turned, the vintage has always smelled better - never worse - than its current counterpart. In that sense, it's been worth it.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
If I've pieced your history together correctly, I believe you had an extensive Crown collection even before you joined Basenotes or started broadening your collections of other vintage houses, did you not?

If I may ask: what got you interested in the house of Crown originally?

I wasn’t much of a fragrance collector before I joined BN: I wore JPG Le Mâle for years, then graduated to Terre d’ Hermès. My wife, the beautiful and talented Dr. T., bought me a Clive Christian masculine sampler a few years back that included No. 1, 1872, and X. Neither of us cared for No. 1 (sorry, Hednic!), but we liked the others, particularly 1872. Reading about Clive Christian pulled my coat to the already-defunct Crown Perfumery. Telling me about some great thing you can’t get anymore is like waving a cape in front of a bull. I bought up the available masculines, and was particularly taken with Sandringham (on which 1872 was supposedly based), Park Royal, and Town & Country. So I resolved to complete my collection.

Much of what I read was on BN, which led in turn to other reviews. ClaireV’s reviews were particularly enticing, and fostered my parallel interest in AbdesSalaam.

I'm not sure how many fragrances I’d acquired before I signed up—my timeline’s a bit fuzzy—but I bought nearly all my roughly 600 bottles after I joined BN.

Which wasn’t all that long ago.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I have a vintage canister of Havoc by Mary Quant.
havoc.jpg

Also a blue and white canister of Shalimar.

blue and white shalimar.jpg

A miniature coffret containing bottles of vintage YSL Opium,Y and Yvresse.

A bottle of Yves Rocher Cocoon.

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Diaghilev (limited edition EDP).

2FRpQXS.jpg

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
After reading through this thread, I don't think I really own any "rare" fragrances...

I own several harder-to-find Areej's, including Walimah, Antiquity, and a small vial of Siberian Musk - but so don't hundreds of other people.

I own several hundred MLs of Egoiste Cologne Concentree, but again. Not that rare compared to the stuff in here.

Maybe my bottle of original-formula "Blackbird" from House of Matriarch??

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Found him/her - basenotes user "El Discipulo" - just amazing!!!
See pages 4 through 10
https://www.basenotes.net/threads/4...e-pics/page4?highlight=amazing,+vintage,+rare

Does anybody know what these bottles might be, from that thread? I scanned the whole thread looking for info but there was none.

The caps look like those odd Rochas Moustache ads from the 1930s and '40s that featured the cardboard man, but I'm pretty sure Moustache never came in anything like this.

attachment.php

HabibiGotIt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 9, 2020
I have some older Areej like Baikal Gris, both an open bottle and a backup. Have Ensar's original Crime & Punishment and Thai Tabac PPs. I treasure my bottle of Prissana's Nesnas Qareen. Not sure you can find that anywhere. I've got some obscure long discontinued European perfumes from the 50s/60s like Berdoues' Cordoba, a soft leather perfume, and Tobacco D'Harrar from some random Italian perfumer. Also have a bottle of Rose Attar from the 60s that I treasure. Finally, some older Mitsouko and Shalimar extraits from the 60s.

I've got a bottle of Dior's Eau Sauvage from the 80s or 90s I think. Very oakmoss forward compared to the current iteration.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I've got some obscure long discontinued European perfumes from the 50s/60s like Berdoues' Cordoba, a soft leather perfume, and Tobacco D'Harrar from some random Italian perfumer.
Cordoba is a good one—I've got a mini. I keep meaning to pick up Tabacco d'Harar, which was by Giviemme (a play on G.V.M., for Don Giuseppe Visconti di Modrone).

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Very reasonable indeed :thumbsup:

I absolutely adore the design on that bottle. I understand the reasoning I think in today's time to make all your bottles uniform, but honestly that bottle alone is probably about 80% the reason I wouldn't mind adding a bottle of Diaghilev to my wardrobe. How's the EDP holding up I assume you've worn quite a bit?

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I absolutely adore the design on that bottle. I understand the reasoning I think in today's time to make all your bottles uniform, but honestly that bottle alone is probably about 80% the reason I wouldn't mind adding a bottle of Diaghilev to my wardrobe. How's the EDP holding up I assume you've worn quite a bit?

Certainly have. It is sublime :thumbsup:

relus

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 21, 2019
SISHEIDO Basara, before it was turned in Basala.
A first batch of Jules Dior, with batch number 0, from the actual release year.
Maybe not superrare but nice to have. Dozens of other stuff but hey this is Basenotes, the bar is set high.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
SISHEIDO Basara, before it was turned in Basala.
I had Basara when it was first launched and after I finished my bottle, I kept the empty bottle for many years after as a rememberance even after it had it changed to Basala. I just recently threw away that empty Basara bottle. :)

Daze

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 2, 2011
I don't really own any super rare fragrances, however these are some that are discontinued or considered somewhat harder to find:

YSL- La Nuit de l'Homme (2012 formul.)
MFK - Lumière Noire PH (discont, orig. formulation)
MFK - Absolue pour le Matin (discont)
CdG - Tea (discont)
Gucci - Pour Homme (discont)
Gucci - Envy for Men (discont)
Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain PH (orig. formulation)
Guerlain - L'Instant de Guerlain PH Eau Extreme (orig. formulation)
Goutal - Sables (vintage)
Goutal - Eau du Fier (discont)
Goutal - Eau du Sud (vintage)
Le Labo - Rose 31 (orig. formulation)
Eau d'Italie - Paestum Rose (discont)
VC&A - Midnight in Paris EDT (discont)
VC&A - Midnight in Paris EDP (discont)
Unum - Opus 1144 (orig. formulation)
Unum - LAVS (orig. formulation)
Unum - Rosa Nigra (orig. formulation)

Latest News