What’s the deal with the A* for men flankers?

Miltz

Mar 3, 2020
Hey guys,

I recently got into A* for men Pure Havane but it’s very quickly become very hard to get. I can now only find it stocked on two websites available to me, everywhere else is sold out including Muglers website.

With some research I’ve seen some articles that’s it’s been discontinued…. Amongst seemingly all the others?!

Which is sad, because I desperately wanted to get into Pure Wood, Pure Tonka and Pure Malt!

So, my question is, what’s going on with all of the A* flankers since L’Oreal bought Mugler? Are they officially being discontinued or do we expect to see them back in stock some time?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Over the years they have periodically reappeared and then disappeared again, and this has been happening for a while at least in my area.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I haven't chased any of the flankers since PURE MALT about 10 years ago, but from what I can tell, they sort of come and go and come back as hednic said.

Other than the original and PURE MALT, I don't think many others are big sellers in the big picture.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Owner change and pandemic-induced stopping of manufacture, materials/labor shortage, supply-chain issues. Most cheapies are now cresting $50 rather than $30 like they were two years ago, plus a lot of things have seen soft (unannounced/unconfirmed) discontinuation for some of these reasons. Maybe they'll come back, or maybe they'll all be unicorns like Ultra Zest in 6 months.

Funny seeing a collection of discontinued Mugler flankers becoming some kind of weird Instagram flex in the near future, but here we are. I was never super into the range past the original A*Men anyway, so I'll let the hypebeasts have their clout.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I haven't chased any of the flankers since PURE MALT about 10 years ago, but from what I can tell, they sort of come and go and come back as hednic said.

Other than the original and PURE MALT, I don't think many others are big sellers in the big picture.

Personally I've never been into the flankers. Only Pure Malt made an impact for me but I would take the original over it any day.

NickZee

Sep 19, 2014
Owner change and pandemic-induced stopping of manufacture, materials/labor shortage, supply-chain issues. Most cheapies are now cresting $50 rather than $30 like they were two years ago, plus a lot of things have seen soft (unannounced/unconfirmed) discontinuation for some of these reasons. Maybe they'll come back, or maybe they'll all be unicorns like Ultra Zest in 6 months.

Funny seeing a collection of discontinued Mugler flankers becoming some kind of weird Instagram flex in the near future, but here we are. I was never super into the range past the original A*Men anyway, so I'll let the hypebeasts have their clout.

Flex post coming soon :laugh:. I had always taken for granted that they’d be around forever and now I am short Kryptomint and Tonka

sjg3839

Aug 21, 2012
The only one I struggled to purchase years ago was Pure Coffee a few years back. Finally got a bottle from Macys for a good price. As previously mentioned, they come and go.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Yep. Pure Malt, at least, seems to get discontinued and then put back into production for a *limited time* every now and then. I'm sure it will come back eventually.
They are not bestseller today. It's just that Clarins (and now L'Oreal) probably do not produce a batch every year, and when they do, they create huge ones.

Latest News