What’s that fragrance every woman seems to be wearing?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
It’s a unique strong alluring smell I have been coming across it so much lately and on multiple women it’s something new and popular or just popular. It smells excellent imo and I am curious what it might be I figured no better place to find out then good ole Basenotes! :laugh:

It’s like the Chanel Bleu and Dior Sauvage for men but a fragrance for women that has mass appeal and smells good and everyone is wearing it!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Could you try to describe it in a bit more specific manner? Just "good and alluring" can mean wildly different things for each person.

Taking into account what is wildly popular in my area, it could be something of these: Baccarat Rouge by MFK, Cloud by Ariana Grande, Amber Oud by Al Haramain. They all are very loud, sweet, slightly mineralic, have a synthetic profile which also smells rich despite being very synthetic in nature, and have great sillage and are megapopular. Also, could be any of the "inspired by..." Baccarat Rouge dupes, too, as these are also super popular.
Maybe I'm wrong though. Waiting for you to specify how it smells.

Edit: Rouge Smoking by BDK and Burberry Her and JP Gaultier La Belle (and also Pink Sugar, but that one is the sweetest of the bunch by mile and I don't think it's the one you loved) also have similar scent profiles, and probably many others I have not tried yet. The overall scent profile is very in fashion despite all the actual perfumes that share it being quite different and playing up different facets of it.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
It’s a unique strong alluring smell I have been coming across it so much lately and on multiple women it’s something new and popular or just popular. It smells excellent imo and I am curious what it might be I figured no better place to find out then good ole Basenotes! :laugh:

It’s like the Chanel Bleu and Dior Sauvage for men but a fragrance for women that has mass appeal and smells good and everyone is wearing it!

Next time –– compliment them, and ask them. :)

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Here are 2020's top 10:

https://www.topreviewssite.com/top-10-best-selling-womens-perfumes/

If it smells like a beautiful sexy mix of spice and perfume in a coffee shop, it's YSL Black Opium.

If it smells like roses, malted vanilla, and cotton candy in a cool shake shack in summer, it's Angel.

If it smells like a woman wearing classic perfume in an elevator with lavender room spray in a fancy hotel. it's the new YSL Libre.

I will let Cook.bot describe J'Adore. My wife has the HTF Cologne Florale, and all her GFs and former coworkers loved it, but I just find it pleasant, not moving. So maybe it's me pulling out the credit card in a flower shop as my wife approves! :evil:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I actually haven't smelled perfume on a woman other than my girlfriend in quite some time. It could just be the masks and distancing.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I will let Cook.bot describe J'Adore.

Believe me, nobody wants to hear that.

Man, that review site was written by some very bad A.I. :

The highest notes contains flower, lychee, and season iridaceous plant, whereas rose petals, liliaceous plant of the vale, and magnolia represent the guts.

Liliaceous plant of the vale? Haha!

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Believe me, nobody wants to hear that./

Man, that review site was written by some very bad A.I. :

The highest notes contains flower, lychee, and season iridaceous plant, whereas rose petals, liliaceous plant of the vale, and magnolia represent the guts.

Liliaceous plant of the vale? Haha!

Wow. There is some "loss in translation" at some level.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Speckmann0706, is it something that you have been smelling over a period of time or is it a recent phenomenon? If everyone is suddenly wearing it, it could be something new, widely available and advertised. I'm not up on the latest releases myself but they might be easier to identify. If it has been around for a long time, it could be harder to pinpoint. Either way, I second freewheelingvagabond's "compliment and ask" suggestion.

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
If you hadn't said "smells good" my guess would have been J'Adore by Dior. I smell it everywhere.

I find that when I ask what perfume someone is wearing, it's usually this one. I really like how it smells on others, just not on me.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Here are 2020's top 10:

https://www.topreviewssite.com/top-10-best-selling-womens-perfumes/

If it smells like a beautiful sexy mix of spice and perfume in a coffee shop, it's YSL Black Opium.

If it smells like roses, malted vanilla, and cotton candy in a cool shake shack in summer, it's Angel.

If it smells like a woman wearing classic perfume in an elevator with lavender room spray in a fancy hotel. it's the new YSL Libre.

I have seen a lot like for Angel, the bottle has a lot appeal as well. Enjoying AMEN a lot, I find Angel really nice.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I have seen a lot like for Angel, the bottle has a lot appeal as well. Enjoying AMEN a lot, I find Angel really nice.

When I first started getting serious about fragrance, I sat down with my wife and a gave her a bunch of samples to try. One of the ones I really liked was Angel! But she did not - way too sweet for her tastes.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020

Try sales data for top sellers. I might point out a confounder or two. It is Spring in the Northern hemisphere and women may just smell naturally appealing to you. Many of our hair products are also highly scented.

leffleur

Feb 14, 2005
Because he seems to be in Wisconsin- imma guess it’s *not* BR540- not in those numbers.
I’m going to guess La vie est Belle. I’m next door in MN and smell it quite a bit.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I believe it’s Ariana Grande Cloud, I just picked up my wife a full 100ml bottle for a very reasonable price looking forward to seeing if it’s the one when it arrives. I’m not looking for a clone of MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 but if it smells good and is what I found alluring why not at a lesser cost, not everyone is spending $400+ on this type of fragrance haha. I appreciate all the recommendations I actually forgot I made this thread after the first few responses, Fragrantica has a new post for the Ariana Grande Cloud Intense and after reading the article I looked up the original and found how popular it is.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I received the Ariana Grande Cloud bottle, yes this is what I’ve been smelling for $50 it’s a excellent smelling fragrance one I will be buying her a few back up bottles of before they ruin it with a reformulation in time easily signature scent worthy and versatile.

Bal a Versailles

Feb 15, 2012

I smell Acqua di Gioia everywhere

Latest News