Whats so good about Creed Spice and Wood?

MELBOURNE21

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 7, 2015
It is Wonderfully blended and a very clean luxurious fragrance.
Def not worth the price it goes for but decants do go a long way.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
That's what I ask myself. Many a classic men's cologne does the job as well or better for a fraction of the price, so beyond being a case of aspiritional / masstige consumerism I don't see the point - unless you are so wealthy the difference between $ 30 and $ 300 doesn't even register.

KBF1972

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 23, 2013
I actually love the scent itself but the performance on me is abysmal. I can use 20+ sprays and it’s a skin scent within 2 hours.

Norstrøm

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 25, 2011
I like the smell, because it smells very much like one of my old favourites, Loewe 7, I actually thought they ripped off the Loewe when I first sampled S&W, until I found out they were released pretty much at the same time. I think the price is absolutely silly, especially when the, IMO, better Loewe can be had for a song.
I prefer the Loewe, so luckily I don't have to worry about liking the price of Spice and Wood :)

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
I know Creed is one if the least favorite houses here but Spice and Wood always gets praise. Howcome?

First to address your comment: Creed is probably the most popular house on Basenotes. Every once in a while a poll about favorite houses comes up and Creed wins almost every time. It's just that those who dislike Creed are very vocal about it, so it seems the hate is stronger than it actually is.

But anyway, Spice & Wood moves between my #1 of all-time and my #3, so I'll tell you what I like about it. 1) It has a GREAT apple note--crystal clear, lucid, realistic, juicy, not too sweet, not too tart, completely smooth and natural. 2) The perfect balance among its spicy woods. It's a completely comfortable, palatable, easy-to-wear woodsy scent but it's also interesting and it has depth. It's dark and a touch smoky but at the same time it maintains a freshness, a buoyant levity that makes it super versatile and comfortable to wear in all kinds of climates and situations. 3) It has classically masculine elements and a traditional appeal but it feels modern at the same time. Maybe it's the apple that does that, maybe its the musks that are used or something about the way it's composed, but it never feels staid or stuffy or outdated despite being a serious, spicy-woody scent. 4) It smells better than Terre d'Hermes, does the Aventus thing with a much greater degree of subtlety and craft, and it outclasses both--coming across more elegant and sophisticated. (I'm only mentioning it in comparison to these two because I like these as well and they kind of remind me of it, or at least they're in the same ballpark.)

That's why I like Spice & Wood. The moment I smelled it, it shot right up to number one, and it's more or less stayed there since.

Jul 7, 2012
4) It smells better than Terre d'Hermes, does the Aventus thing with a much greater degree of subtlety and craft, and it outclasses both--coming across more elegant and sophisticated. (I'm only mentioning it in comparison to these two because I like these as well and they kind of remind me of it, or at least they're in the same ballpark.)

That's such a great description. You nailed it.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
That's such a great description. You nailed it.

I think Buysblind's synopsis is pretty spot on. I would add that I get a nice 'journey' out of the fragrance as it shifts from a bright opening to an almost smoldered campfire+baked apple finale. I consider Spice & Wood to be the benchmark perfection of what a fragrance 'can' be. I still have yet to smell a fragrance as good. I consider Creed's attempt at Viking to be similarly just as complex and a fantastic transitioning fragrance, but using very different notes and ideas.

As of now, people in the fragrance community don't think of Viking as a 'great' fragrance, but IMO, in time, Viking will be more respected for its artistic quality in our hobby (assuming Creed doesn't try to change/cheapen ingredients or reformulate). I think so many people have gotten caught up in a frenzy of skepticism over Creed's latest release and are completely missing what it is. It's 'kind of' a pleasing scent for the masses in that, virtually everyone thinks it 'smells good', but the depth of COMPLEXITY and unfolding transitions make it a remarkable achievement in perfumery in my opinion. It's extremely complex. You can wear it dozens of times and can get different shades of scent from it throughout a wearing.

Spice & Wood is complex, but not quite as much as Viking. But Spice & Wood uses classically LOVED notes in perfumery and I think that is why Spice & Wood is king. The opening is an almost citrus-apple fusion. Bright and you can smell the high frequency woods. It eventually and slowly transitions to woods with some apple......then at the end it has a smokey element that seems to just appear, like you just sprayed on a smokey incense note, because it wasn't apparent at all previously in the opening and mid. The apple changes from sharp, almost citrusey into a seemingly 'baked' apple scent mixed into a smoldering campfire backdrop. HOW IN THE HELL did Creed do that? It's amazing! When I think about it I and compare it to other fragrances I know, Spice & Wood sets a benchmark that is nearly impossible to top.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
That's what I ask myself. Many a classic men's cologne does the job as well or better for a fraction of the price, so beyond being a case of aspiritional / masstige consumerism I don't see the point - unless you are so wealthy the difference between $ 30 and $ 300 doesn't even register.

This.

And if you want a Creed, Royal Oud and Bois du Portugal are better.

Bigsly

Basenotes Institution
Feb 20, 2008
First to address your comment: Creed is probably the most popular house on Basenotes. Every once in a while a poll about favorite houses comes up and Creed wins almost every time. It's just that those who dislike Creed are very vocal about it, so it seems the hate is stronger than it actually is...

I disagree with this, but I have before. LOL. The "problem" here is that a majority, perhaps a largely silent one, does not hate Creed fragrances. I've said more than a few times that I'd buy them if they were cheaper, but even so, I've still got a couple of Creed bottles (bought used for low prices) and several decants. I hardly ever wear them, simply because I prefer others most of the time (almost all cheaper, most by a wide margin). In fact, I think Creed is great for me, because my sense is that they helped drive the prices up on vintage (which I own a lot of) and I've been able to swap or sell other Creed bottles I've owned in a very satisfying way. Yes, there are a few vocal people who hate Creed, but for the most part, it's pretty obvious that many of their fragrances are quite pleasant, and there are a few "love it or hate" it ones, but the animosity is more about the "fake pedigree," the high prices, and the countless "fan boys" who want to talk about how great this or that Creed is until the proverbial cows come home, from what I can tell. I would like to try Spice and Wood, but there's no real motivation to try and obtain one (I've got plenty of fragrances to keep my nose busy at this point).

CutSmut

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 4, 2017
It’s cost. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good scent and my favorite from creed, however it’s massively overpriced. People like having expensive stuff and will value it more.

Darjeeling

Basenotes Institution
Oct 29, 2012
It’s pleasant enough if somewhat overpriced, but I didn’t really get it. My fault really, some of the notes I tend to avoid in general. Didn’t tickle my fancy, but it is certainly worth sampling. If you like woody scents and angelica it may just tickle you in the right places.

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did this ever get reformulated? Looking to potentially buy a bottle but would rather seek out an older bottle if like most Creeds it has been neutered in recent years. Cheers.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did this ever get reformulated?
I have an original release bottle and was at the Nieman Marcus Creed counter two days ago spraying this and I didn't notice any difference at all from my bottle.

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did this ever get reformulated? Looking to potentially buy a bottle but would rather seek out an older bottle if like most Creeds it has been neutered in recent years. Cheers.
I've had various bottles over the years, and all smelled the same. I haven't smelled it recently, since the brand was bought out, so can't speak to the very newest bottles.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Thought I’d love Spice & Wood, but after I chipped my way through several samples I realized it’s not quite the spicy treat I was looking for. The woods notes are a little too abrasive. Maybe ok at around $80 for a 2.5oz bottle. Not ok at $400+.

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
it's not very spicy, but it is woody. I agree with you there.
I get spice but it’s more like Christmas mulled wine type of spice than eastern spice.

Appreciate the replies. I was kinda hoping there would be earlier formulations that were a bit more upfront than the sample I have which feels a little subdued. Lovely smell but I have to put my nose to my wrist to smell it (and I prefer my fragrances to be subtle).

I shall continue to sample this one 👍

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
First to address your comment: Creed is probably the most popular house on Basenotes. Every once in a while a poll about favorite houses comes up and Creed wins almost every time. It's just that those who dislike Creed are very vocal about it, so it seems the hate is stronger than it actually is.

But anyway, Spice & Wood moves between my #1 of all-time and my #3, so I'll tell you what I like about it. 1) It has a GREAT apple note--crystal clear, lucid, realistic, juicy, not too sweet, not too tart, completely smooth and natural. 2) The perfect balance among its spicy woods. It's a completely comfortable, palatable, easy-to-wear woodsy scent but it's also interesting and it has depth. It's dark and a touch smoky but at the same time it maintains a freshness, a buoyant levity that makes it super versatile and comfortable to wear in all kinds of climates and situations. 3) It has classically masculine elements and a traditional appeal but it feels modern at the same time. Maybe it's the apple that does that, maybe its the musks that are used or something about the way it's composed, but it never feels staid or stuffy or outdated despite being a serious, spicy-woody scent. 4) It smells better than Terre d'Hermes, does the Aventus thing with a much greater degree of subtlety and craft, and it outclasses both--coming across more elegant and sophisticated. (I'm only mentioning it in comparison to these two because I like these as well and they kind of remind me of it, or at least they're in the same ballpark.)

That's why I like Spice & Wood. The moment I smelled it, it shot right up to number one, and it's more or less stayed there since.
Well said. This is pretty close to how I feel about it. It was instantly my #1 the first time I smelled it, and I think it has stayed there ever since.

And if you want a Creed, Royal Oud and Bois du Portugal are better.

Well, I can certainly see someone liking those two more - I love both as well... but Royal Oud and Bois du Portugal are hardly lacking for love/fans, and it wasn't really a question about Creed, but about S&W.

Smell it and you can answer the question yourself, or not. Just like any other fragrance.
Ultimately, this is it. Everyone has their own taste and need to decide for themselves. S&W does exactly what I think a fragrance should - clean and unique, fresh and not boring, office safe - I generally want a fragrance to enhance a sense of clean not be "edgy" or skanky or challenging... I don't want to smell unwashed, but more professional. This does it better than anything else in my collection. And as Buysblind said... there is something about the apple in it that just does something no other does.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I never seem to find this one on the display counter in retail outlets. Would love to try it.

Latest News