What’s disappointed you recently?

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006
Pretty much everything.

In most cases, what's out there now is hyped-up, soulless and ridiculously expensive, often utilising atrocious synthetic bases that can be detected very early on.

The fragrance industry has finally become the shameless cash-grabbing joke it threatened to become, just over a decade ago.

Vintage Batch

Basenotes Member
Jun 4, 2021
I tested Kajal Homme I at home (before that I only knew K. Lamar) the opening-top notes have some accent similar to Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme but Homme I is more natural-quality, quite quickly goes to the heart notes And here I felt tones similar to Lancome la vie est e belle EDT and notes from Armani Si - eau parfum (black cork, clear glass, light pink juice), I think - for me, the fragrance leans too much towards the feminine side.

DoctorM81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
Eight & Bob Nuit de Megeve.

I've worked through the Eight & Bob main line with enthusiasm and affection over the past few months - NdM was the last of the 6 I got to try (in the end I blind-bought). From the note breakdown and online reviews, I had expected it to be the star of the line, or at least thereabouts. I don't dislike it, but it's disappointed me. I'd rank it roughly 4/6 in the line, at best. To add insult to injury, it was the only one I've had to pay full retail for! It may grow on me, but I doubt it.

CeeTee

Dec 30, 2022
The only thing that has disappointed me lately is local stores not getting full lines of brands I like, specifically, Guerlain and Mugler. Guerlain has gone through a long and painful (for the customer) transition resulting in an apparent policy of limited distribution of fragrances and with the sale of Mugler to L’Oréal stock has been low and spotty. I prefer trying/buying in local stores to online and I hope these brands get it together.
YES! Say it louder! Guerlain is still ticking me off with low store availability and testing ability!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
YES! Say it louder! Guerlain is still ticking me off with low store availability and testing ability!

I have a feeling that except for certain prestigious locations to keep a high profile Guerlain may be shifting to an online sales business model for the standard-line customers. Guerlain would not be the only one. For instance, Estée Lauder has pulled almost all their fragrances from stores here and they can only be bought from the website. Like that it’s not necessary to have the expense of large counters or SAs in the stores.

CeeTee

Dec 30, 2022
I have a feeling that except for certain prestigious locations to keep a high profile Guerlain may be shifting to an online sales business model for the standard-line customers. Guerlain would not be the only one. For instance, Estée Lauder has pulled almost all their fragrances from stores here and they can only be bought from the website. Like that it’s not necessary to have the expense of large counters or SAs in the stores.
I don’t visit brick and mortar, for a few reasons. I’m not crazy about buying samples, but I’m happy to do so. I buy everything online. Some unwise blind buys, even. Hehe. I just don’t understand why Guerlain doesn’t at least sell samples for their luxe line and let me pay for shipping. I’m not blind buying a $360 bottle without testing it.
I posted a whole rant thread about Guerlain’s lack of samples and discovery sets recently. I also wrote them a (nicely worded) letter suggesting both, so it’s out of my system.

Sep 29, 2022
A purchasing disappointment, less than a scent disappointment.

My recently purchased partial of Jo Malone's Mimosa & Cardamom Cologne was, sadly, very turned. I'm somewhat surprised - the batch code dates this bottle to 2016, so it's not that old. And with (listed) notes of just cardamom, mimosa, and tonka, I don't see which of these ingredients is the culprit. Alas, it smells distinctly of oily butter gone sour in the sun.

Live and learn! My first eBay dud, and was only $25.

s-l1600_50.jpeg

TheWiffMaster

Basenotes Member
Jan 26, 2023
So kinda the inverse of the “wow” thread. It’s be interesting to know what’s let you down scent wise that you’ve tried. Either due to the scent being overly hyped, or just not that great.

I’ll start the ball rolling with Layton. It’s nice enough, but that’s about it for me. I just don’t get the hype, which led me to expect something reeeeally special. It’s nice, but that’s it for me.
The longevity of ADG it was a strong opening then nothing after 2 hours.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Salut, Je voulais Savoir est Il Vraiment Animal Fort en 'Oud comme plus ou moins Tempel ? Et la projection ? 'Oud Naturel ou synthétique ?
Cordialement.
It was strong animal for me. Didn't pay attention to the projection and it seemed like a synthetic oud to me.
(C’était animal fort pour moi. Je n’ai pas fait attention à la projection et cela m’a semblé être un oud synthétique. :)

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...