What’s disappointed you recently?

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
L’Expérience 706 by O.U.i Original Unique Individual, an aromatic fougere fragrance didn't cut it.

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
Nicolai Parfumeur - Riviera Verbena. This had the most glorious opening of fresh, citrus, green, herbal and a really nice verbena, which I am usually a bit dubious about, as I have mixed feelings about that scent.

I had high hopes for it and then it did what all Nicolai perfumes do, but this time in spades, dried down to a deeply unpleasant funky mess. I was so, so disappointed. I spent ages throughout the day trying to scrub it off with little success.

I genuinely don't understand why they all dry down that way but at least I know to avoid her fragrances in the future.

davidcalgary29

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 6, 2019
Secretions Magnifiques: where's the stank?!

I really had high hopes with this luckyscent sample: I read the reviews, prepared my skin (and my nose), and opened the vial...only to be greeted by a sort-of-pleasant citrusy scent. No blood, no metal, no rot, no milk, and certainly no sperm. This is supposed to be a seminal "work of art!". I feel cheated.

TF Ebene Fume arrived in the same shipment. Nice, but boring.

davidcalgary29

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 6, 2019
"Meet Me Where the Sea Touches the Sky" by Memoirs of Perfume Collector: the pretentious name doesn't cover up the fact that this is just a Tuscan Leather clone. A bad one. The opening blast is a mess of esters and aldehydes, but I sort of get heavy accents of nail polish remover before the scent settles down and does whatever it can. Not for me, although I'll keep it in mind if TF decides to suddenly discontinue Tuscan Leather.

SLNY

Mar 14, 2023
Bulgari Tygar. I know how popular it is but, for me, the grapefruit was overshadowed by the light perfumey qualities and the ambroxan. I got more amber musk and wood than the citrus. Also, on me, it had no longevity. So an easy pass. In this vein, I'll easily stick with Afternoon Swim.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
1922 by J.M. Keune by Keune, an Aromatic fragrance was anything but IMO.

Last edited:

Tourtiere

May 13, 2023
Considering its reputation, I was very disappointed with the Eau de Guerlain, at least, as it exists today.

The EdG is far too close to lemon cleaning product for me to enjoy it. I disliked EdC "Coq" for the same reason, but did very-much enjoy the EdC "Imperiale". These were all contemporary samplings, I have not smelled the vintage versions of any of these.

May 22, 2023
So kinda the inverse of the “wow” thread. It’s be interesting to know what’s let you down scent wise that you’ve tried. Either due to the scent being overly hyped, or just not that great.

I’ll start the ball rolling with Layton. It’s nice enough, but that’s about it for me. I just don’t get the hype, which led me to expect something reeeeally special. It’s nice, but that’s it for me.
After hearing a ton of positive things, I tried out Armani acqua di gio profumo and I just didnt like it from start to finish. I feel like I’m alone on this though. I also was disappointed by Chanel Allure homme sport extreme. The dry down is okay but just didnt like it.

lauermar

Jul 8, 2004
I have a long simmering disappointment with new launches and reformulations of older perfumes in this decade. I am referring to typical department store fragrances, not online niche.

They all smell similar. They're weak, fleeting and overpriced; generally above $100. I won't spend my money on expensive toilet water that doesn't last 5 minutes and lacks personality.

I have been seeking out vintage, discontinued and hard to find perfumes.

gunmetal24

Basenotes Member
May 5, 2017
Jardín Nocturne by Shalini. I think it uses good quality notes but for the price, it wasn't mind blowing. More of just a showcase on ingredient quality which by itself isn't enough. Smelt better on paper then on my own skin.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Dark Chock by Cacau Show, a Citrus Aromatic fragrance was too light to even feel on the skin.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Tried the current formulation of Hermes's Orange Verte this week.

Awful. They've really butchered it. The worst parts of the old version, with some additional, modern problems as well. Cloying, synthetic, doesn't smell like orange, smells dated, musty...such a shame.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp