What’s Behind Your Basenotes Username?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I started out with a different handle, then one day it hit me and, the rest is history.
Now, a couple of people have told me that it's the best name on Basenotes.
I just hope that it can coerce an occasional smile.
I have to tell you - and I’m glad that I finally have the opportunity to do so - I’ve seen your name in a number of threads, and as a 90’s kid, it had me dying.

I tip my hat to you, good sir. Well done.

LL Cool Spray

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 24, 2008
I have to tell you - and I’m glad that I finally have the opportunity to do so - I’ve seen your name in a number of threads, and as a 90’s kid, it had me dying.

I tip my hat to you, good sir. Well done.
Thank you - I'm happy that you like my name.
Now if I may be so bold to ask the fine lady about the origin of her name....

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Baklava was one of the most popular sweet pastries in the Ottoman empire. It has the same number of a's and is just as sweet as the famous baccarat rouge. Ruzh is one unofficial way of transcribing the French word for red written in cyrillic from Russian to English. It's a take on baccarat Rouge, I was bored.
This is so incredibly clever!!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Haha clever or stupid.

Your username makes me wonder what that old song kiseki no kaori Dance was really about...? 🤷
Ah … that.

A musical masterpiece if there ever was one.

It honestly isn’t about anything - just an over-enthusiastic, generic love song with a few random English words thrown in for good measure - pretty on brand with Japanese Pop 😆 “Kiseki” means “a miracle”.

Edit: I also forgot to clarify, in this case the song title roughly translates to “sensing a miracle”.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
This is so interesting and beautiful! This is the first time that I’ve heard piano music played entirely in this manner, in (mostly) singular notes - this is so simple, but still very emotional.

I’d thought that your name was a jab at counterfeit fragrances 😅
Yea I'm a fan of John Cage and thought it would be funny in the context of a perfume forum. It is somewhat a comment on clone houses but also the faux sense of luxury and exclusivity that comes with some houses when what they actually produce is just a cheap imitation. But the idea came from the Cage piece.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Yea I'm a fan of John Cage and thought it would be funny in the context of a perfume forum. It is somewhat a comment on clone houses but also the faux sense of luxury and exclusivity that comes with some houses when what they actually produce is just a cheap imitation. But the idea came from the Cage piece.
I love it 👌🏻

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I think it’s very imaginative!

What about Chopinese? 😆
Haha! :D I did briefly consider Wagnerian, but i thought that sounded too pretentious.
Love it, Cage is such an interesting composer. I have a cd with some of his sonatas for prepared piano combined with Scarlatti's (the artist is David Greilsammer). It's excellent.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Baklava was one of the most popular sweet pastries in the Ottoman empire. It has the same number of a's and is just as sweet as the famous baccarat rouge. Ruzh is one unofficial way of transcribing the French word for red written in cyrillic from Russian to English. It's a take on baccarat Rouge, I was bored.

Almost read balaclava :D

You HAVE to try some baklava!

My first experience with this heavenly pastry of the gods was a homemade baklava gifted by an Iranian lady, back when I was working in financial aid at a university. It was love at first bite.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
Haha! :D I did briefly consider Wagnerian, but i thought that sounded too pretentious.

Love it, Cage is such an interesting composer. I have a cd with some of his sonatas for prepared piano combined with Scarlatti's (the artist is David Greilsammer). It's excellent.
I suppose I'm more of a "Mozo"! But Schubert is also good. Wagnerian sounds rather unfortunate.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I am The Colognnoisseur both here on Basenotes and on Fragrantica. I’m not an expert, by any means, but an enthusiast for sure. I’m here and on Fragrantica to learn from the rest of y’all. My favorite Basenotes user name has to be Sheik Yerbouti — never fails to amuse.
“The Colognnoisseur” sounds very refined.

I’ve yet to see Sheik Yerbouti here on Basenotes 😂 But the horribly immature side of me is loving that one!

Oct 21, 2021
You HAVE to try some baklava!

My first experience with this heavenly pastry of the gods was a homemade baklava gifted by an Iranian lady, back when I was working in financial aid at a university. It was love at first bite.
I like baklava, especially pistachio one 💚
Balaclava Rouge would be a great option for everyone who finds BR540 too strong :D

SabrinaFair

Jan 19, 2022
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum!

This is not so much about fragrance, but rather about the members of Basenotes.

I’ve noticed and come across so many interesting usernames here! I’d love to ask all of you - what’s the story behind the username that you’ve chosen?

Is it a play on your name? A reference to fragrance? Perhaps a nod to something you love and enjoy?

If you would like to share, I would love to hear about i

SabrinaFair

Jan 19, 2022

I’ve noticed and come across so many interesting usernames here! I’d love to ask all of you - what’s the story behind the username that you’ve chosen?

Is it a play on your name? A reference to fragrance? Perhaps a nod to something you love and enjoy?

If you would like to share, I would love to hear about it.
It was the name of a play that they later made into a movie with Audrey Hepburn. My mothers name was Audrey and one of my favorite old school perfumes is JOY which was made for Audrey. Now it’s discontinued so my BF bought me two bottles that will,last me a life time.

Thioacetone

Sep 7, 2022
Thioacetone is the most extraordinary aroma chemical in the world. It adds character and massively boosts any fragrance's diffusion and sillage. It packs a real punch. I suggest using at < 1%. Words cannot describe the smell................. just kidding. It is apparently one of the worst smelling chemicals in the world.

Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable ... and genuinely denied responsibility since they were working in closed systems. To convince them otherwise, they were dispersed with other observers around the laboratory, at distances up to a quarter of a mile, and one drop of either acetone gem-dithiol or the mother liquors from crude trithioacetone crystallisations were placed on a watch glass in a fume cupboard. The odour was detected downwind in seconds. - Esso Research Station, mid-1960s

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
It was the name of a play that they later made into a movie with Audrey Hepburn. My mothers name was Audrey and one of my favorite old school perfumes is JOY which was made for Audrey. Now it’s discontinued so my BF bought me two bottles that will,last me a life time.
I loved “Sabrina”! Movies from the ‘50s have a special place in my heart.

Audrey is such a beautiful name - and the fact that JOY means so much to you makes the correlation so special. Your boyfriend sounds very thoughtful and kind!

rasotis

Jul 18, 2010

If you would like to share, I would love to hear about it.
My username is in honor of my late brother-in-law. My icon is part of my company logo.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...