What’s Behind Your Basenotes Avatar?

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
Oh, Spike is quite capable of communicating without meowing, no worries there.

But they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

View attachment 308744

This cat was actually the very first (and last, so far) Sphinx cat I have met, and it was VERY DISTURBING. She was the beloved princess in residence of Borderlands Bookstore in San Francisco, a place I love.

At first she wasn't moving, and I thought, being this a SFF bookstore, that she was a plastic model of the monster in Alien or something*. And then she moved, and came straight at me! My friend Jeffrey screamed like a five-year-old girl and ran out of the bookstore.

And then the strange, frightening thing meowed, and I realized it was a cat! I ended up with her cradled in my arms. She was the sweetest, friendliest thing, and thankfully very warm.
This, I feel, is the closest you can get looks-wise in a pet mammal to a frog, you may be one step closer to getting over your ranidaphobia!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Thank you, Salumbre. I am fortunate to teach a grade level that is a lot of work--but so much fun too! :)

I work for a school district (not as a teacher, though, or with children normally), and last year I was asked to help with a first grader's language and speech evaluation. I was there early, so I made chitchat with the teacher and waited for the kids to come to class.

As soon as they entered, one of them made a beeline for me and asked me, all smiles, "And who are you?" Right then and there all of them started peppering me with the funniest questions: "Do you have a car?" "Do you have a dog?" "Why are you wearing a hat?"

So I introduced myself to the class, told them a little bit about myself (and my car!), showed them pictures of my cats, and then said my goodbyes and asked the girl in question to follow me out of the classroom. I was smiling non-stop for a whole week after that.

To have that wonderful energy around you, all the time, you're fortunate for sure!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
I work for a school district (not as a teacher, though, or with children normally), and last year I was asked to help with a first grader's language and speech evaluation. I was there early, so I made chitchat with the teacher and waited for the kids to come to class.

As soon as they entered, one of them made a beeline for me and asked me, all smiles, "And who are you?" Right then and there all of them started peppering me with the funniest questions: "Do you have a car?" "Do you have a dog?" "Why are you wearing a hat?"

So I introduced myself to the class, told them a little bit about myself (and my car!), showed them pictures of my cats, and then said my goodbyes and asked the girl in question to follow me out of the classroom. I was smiling non-stop for a whole week after that.

To have that wonderful energy around you, all the time, you're fortunate for sure!
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story, Salumbre. I'm happy you had that experience. The energy, enthusiasm, joy and desire to learn make this age such a treat to work with.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
This gentleman is (that is was) Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford. He is the most likely person, who actually wrote the plays of William Shakespeare. I've such results in this field, which even the most famous Shakespeare scholar called to be very adroit, and wanted to see my entire set of results. I've delivered several lectures in my country, even to the invitation of the official Shakespeare Society, with (humble smile :) ) great success. Step by step, this is the only way in this very sensitive field.
So, I work for Edward's reputation :)
Edward de Vere died before Shakespeare even wrote a few of his plays, right? I've heard of this Anti-Stratfordian theory and never subscribed to it. This is a conspiracy founded in class system in my opinion. Most of those who believe this theory don't like to believe that a middle class nobody from a small town could be the greatest author in English literature...but I do.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Oh, Spike is quite capable of communicating without meowing, no worries there.

But they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

View attachment 308744

This cat was actually the very first (and last, so far) Sphinx cat I have met, and it was VERY DISTURBING. She was the beloved princess in residence of Borderlands Bookstore in San Francisco, a place I love.

At first she wasn't moving, and I thought, being this a SFF bookstore, that she was a plastic model of the monster in Alien or something*. And then she moved, and came straight at me! My friend Jeffrey screamed like a five-year-old girl and ran out of the bookstore.

And then the strange, frightening thing meowed, and I realized it was a cat! I ended up with her cradled in my arms. She was the sweetest, friendliest thing, and thankfully very warm.

*Fittingly enough, her name was Ripley.
I have not seen one of these. What happens during the colder months?

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
The large pencil the teacher's version of the Poseidon trident.
Funny you mention the Poseidon trident. I was recruited to play King Triton in our annual spring musical, "Little Mermaid" several years ago. I had a trident that lit up and flashed with the push of a button. I wasn't very good, but the kids loved it, and appreciated my effort. Fun memory :)

Franco65

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2012
Pixelated photos trigger me. I want to know why David Ruskin has such a pixelated photo. It makes me mad everytime I see it.
The perfume analogy of using pixelated images would be never using any substance in your perfume < 1% concentration. Which is silly.
Some avatars have pixelated pics because when BN changed platform the pics, used in the old platform, were too small. If you've not changed the photo you'll have a pixelated picture!

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Edward de Vere died before Shakespeare even wrote a few of his plays, right? I've heard of this Anti-Stratfordian theory and never subscribed to it. This is a conspiracy founded in class system in my opinion. Most of those who believe this theory don't like to believe that a middle class nobody from a small town could be the greatest author in English literature...but I do.
Thank you for your precious time to comment it. I appreciate it.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
They need to be extra warm, or they die.

They are not a natural breed, but were created in Canada around the 1960s.

angermanagement02.jpg

angermanagement08.jpg

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021
Everyone knows the real author was Sir Francis Bacon!
Sheesh!

cdave2

Mar 10, 2019
You all are way too much fun!

I once babysat a Sphynx cat who stole my heart. His name was Harry, but I nicknamed him “The Shy Little Alien”. His skin felt like suede.

4BE48103-D1C7-4FD1-A1DC-2DE58986564D.jpeg

I remember the Tower Records in Chicago very well! Before I moved here, it was always one of the stops during our concert road trips from St. Louis. My first job out of school was at the Cape Girardeau, Missouri version of Tower…Camelot Music. 😄

My avatar is from the 12" single of New Order’s “True Faith”. It’s both my favorite song and favorite cover. The designer, Peter Saville, inspired me to study graphic design, and the story goes that while working on this project, a leaf landed on his windshield and he simply thought, “That’s beautiful.” The song is not only a fantastic dance tune, the lyrics suggest that life is full of joyful moments (“I feel so extraordinary”) and well worth living. It hints at New Order’s history, as they carried on after the tragic suicide of their original lead singer, and it became a hopeful anthem for me as well.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
You all are way too much fun!

I once babysat a Sphynx cat who stole my heart. His name was Harry, but I nicknamed him “The Shy Little Alien”. His skin felt like suede.

View attachment 309024

I remember the Tower Records in Chicago very well! Before I moved here, it was always one of the stops during our concert road trips from St. Louis. My first job out of school was at the Cape Girardeau, Missouri version of Tower…Camelot Music. 😄

My avatar is from the 12" single of New Order’s “True Faith”. It’s both my favorite song and favorite cover. The designer, Peter Saville, inspired me to study graphic design, and the story goes that while working on this project, a leaf landed on his windshield and he simply thought, “That’s beautiful.” The song is not only a fantastic dance tune, the lyrics suggest that life is full of joyful moments (“I feel so extraordinary”) and well worth living. It hints at New Order’s history, as they carried on after the tragic suicide of their original lead singer, and it became a hopeful anthem for me as well.

Reading this really brightened up my afternoon 🙂

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...