What’s Behind Your Basenotes Avatar?

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021
Well my avatar is a jester from an early Marillion EP. I fell in love with Marillion circa 1982 when my love for progressive rock was just blossoming. Beginning with Yes and King Crimson and then the 2nd thru 5th Genesis albums (Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound) I really fell hard for longer, complex songs with many tempo changes, top-notch musicianship and intelligent lyrics often sung by theatrical frontmen about fantastic subjects.
Marillion came to my attention with a 1982 EP called Market Square Heroes. Not a simp!e feat to both become aware of it and the band and acquire a copy from across the Atlantic in those pre-Internet days! They didn't receive radio play or press here in the US and but for my reading of Kerrang! magazine I'd have never heard of Marillion nor of the other bands producing what became know as neo-progressive rock. Even getting Kerrang! magazine required ordering issues from a mail order record dealer. Much of the stuff I listened to or wanted to listen to wasn't available from the 2 record stores on Hilton Head Island at the time and save for an occasional family shopping extravaganza to Savannah, GA I wasn't able to put my hands on the progressive, hard rock and heavy metal records that I needed!!
So Marillion went with the jester as their sort of trademark and most of their early cover art featured a jester. My avatar is one example of this.

P.S. it is my opinion that Marillion as a worthwhile musical endeavor ceased to exist after releasing the excellent Clutching at Straws opus in 1987. The main factor in my opinion is that Clutching is the last record their original singer - Fish - appeared on. The replacement vocalist saw the band change away from prog into more commercial sounds. No Fish, no Marillion say I. Fish has gone on to record many good to great solo albums. His lyrics are his greatest strength.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Back in the 70s, I had the opportunity in the city of Harar, Ethiopia to feed wild hyenas raw meat, mouth to mouth from a 1-foot stick, which is a common occurrence among the locals. Although I was terrified at first, I became fascinated and enamored with the animal.

Better you than me.

I'd love to visit Ethiopia, but keep the hyenas at a safe distance.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Mine seems to confuse people. Over the years this subject has come up and on another forum I was asked who was the guy wrestling a snake?:ROFLMAO:

Er, it is the poster for the Ballet Russe Afternoon Of The Faun with Nijinsky as the faun.

Such a poster deserves much better resolution, don't you think?

I just found a nice vintage print of it on Etsy, and have to buy it, AND IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
So I guess it's my turn now.

This is a 10 or 12 year old picture of my cats Ayesha (the tuxedo) and Leo (the orange), so named after the characters in She, a novel by H. Rider Haggard I have reread more times than I care to admit. (Also a classic Hammer cheesefest, starring Christopher Lee and Ursula Andress.)

It's one of my favorite pictures of them, waiting for me at the window in my last South Beach apartment.

They have since passed on (Leo passed away just last year, after a long life). Now I have Buffy and Spike, aka the Abominable Beasts. But this picture is my way of keeping them alive, as they still live in my heart.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Well my avatar is a jester from an early Marillion EP. I fell in love with Marillion circa 1982 when my love for progressive rock was just blossoming. Beginning with Yes and King Crimson and then the 2nd thru 5th Genesis albums (Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound) I really fell hard for longer, complex songs with many tempo changes, top-notch musicianship and intelligent lyrics often sung by theatrical frontmen about fantastic subjects.
Marillion came to my attention with a 1982 EP called Market Square Heroes. Not a simp!e feat to both become aware of it and the band and acquire a copy from across the Atlantic in those pre-Internet days! They didn't receive radio play or press here in the US and but for my reading of Kerrang! magazine I'd have never heard of Marillion nor of the other bands producing what became know as neo-progressive rock. Even getting Kerrang! magazine required ordering issues from a mail order record dealer. Much of the stuff I listened to or wanted to listen to wasn't available from the 2 record stores on Hilton Head Island at the time and save for an occasional family shopping extravaganza to Savannah, GA I wasn't able to put my hands on the progressive, hard rock and heavy metal records that I needed!!
So Marillion went with the jester as their sort of trademark and most of their early cover art featured a jester. My avatar is one example of this.

P.S. it is my opinion that Marillion as a worthwhile musical endeavor ceased to exist after releasing the excellent Clutching at Straws opus in 1987. The main factor in my opinion is that Clutching is the last record their original singer - Fish - appeared on. The replacement vocalist saw the band change away from prog into more commercial sounds. No Fish, no Marillion say I. Fish has gone on to record many good to great solo albums. His lyrics are his greatest strength.

This was a brilliant read!

I used to love Kerrang! magazine! I worked at Tower Records as a teenager, and was able to get my hands on more obscure and HTG magazines, records, and albums that way. RIP Tower.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021

I used to love Kerrang! magazine! I worked at Tower Records as a teenager, and was able to get my hands on more obscure and HTG magazines, records, and albums that way. RIP Tower.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
Aww thanks!! You're too kind!
I'm in the Chicago area now (and except for 6 years on Hilton Head always have been) and Tower Records was a favorite haunt of mine. I spent a LOT of cashola there...on records, CDs and magazines and zines of which they had a kick ass selection!

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
So I guess it's my turn now.

This is a 10 or 12 year old picture of my cats Ayesha (the tuxedo) and Leo (the orange), so named after the characters in She, a novel by H. Rider Haggard I have reread more times than I care to admit. (Also a classic Hammer cheesefest, starring Christopher Lee and Ursula Andress.)

It's one of my favorite pictures of them, waiting for me at the window in my last South Beach apartment.

They have since passed on (Leo passed away just last year, after a long life). Now I have Buffy and Spike, aka the Abominable Beasts. But this picture is my way of keeping them alive, as they still live in my heart.

Salumbre, that’s beautiful.

I remember that you’ve told me about your lovely cats in the past (I had thought that Leo had heterochromia in the photo), but I’m just now learning their fantastic names, along with their interesting origins. I’ll have to pick up a copy of “She” now.

Buffy and Spike! Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Aww thanks!! You're too kind!
I'm in the Chicago area now (and except for 6 years on Hilton Head always have been) and Tower Records was a favorite haunt of mine. I spent a LOT of cashola there...on records, CDs and magazines and zines of which they had a kick ass selection!

That’s awesome! 🙂

They basically got my paycheck as soon as I got it as well (we were paid minimum wage, which back then was about $5.25 an hour - nobody was really there for the paycheck, since it was so minuscule. We worked there for the perks - and could afford to, since most of us were teens still living at home with few or no bills). Also, a chain called The Wall got my money as well, along with some Mom & Pop record shops.

I miss those days! You’ve made me nostalgic.

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007

I used to love Kerrang! magazine! I worked at Tower Records as a teenager, and was able to get my hands on
I'm in the Chicago area now (and except for 6 years on Hilton Head always have been) and Tower Records was a favorite haunt of mine.
I've only been to one Tower Records... the Jerusalem branch (there was also one in Tel-Aviv). I would go there on Friday mornings (Israel's "weekend" is Friday/Saturday) with my Sony "Discman", buy a new CD (or 2 or 3), then sit at a nearby beit kafe (coffee shop) and listen to it/them, accompanied by several cups of coffee and borekas. Tower Records was always packed.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
I've only been to one Tower Records... the Jerusalem branch (there was also one in Tel-Aviv). I would go there on Friday mornings (Israel's "weekend" is Friday/Saturday) with my Sony "Discman", buy a new CD (or 2 or 3), then sit at a nearby beit kafe (coffee shop) and listen to it/them, accompanied by several cups of coffee and borekas. Tower Records was always packed.

That sounds like the perfect Friday morning 🙂

I would’ve loved to have seen the Tower in Jerusalem! Did they have the listening stations as well? Now that I’ve become a germaphobe, communal headphones make me shudder. But back then, they were an awesome way to sample an album.

My Discman would always, always skip, even with that “no-skip technology” garbage. I miss it, though ❤️

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Sounds so enjoyable--and nostalgic. Love it! I remember a place called, "Downtown Records and Tapes" in the heart of Chicago--on the famous "Rush Street" in the 1970s and early 80's--before compact discs. Loved buying vinyl albums--and enjoying the posters of the band that were often included. The smell of the vinyl; having to get up to turn the record over to play the other side--or playing several records that would fall to the turntable as each previous record finished....Good memories.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Salumbre, that’s beautiful.

I remember that you’ve told me about your lovely cats in the past (I had thought that Leo had heterochromia in the photo), but I’m just now learning their fantastic names, along with their interesting origins. I’ll have to pick up a copy of “She” now.

Buffy and Spike! Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Indeed!

They came to me a matched set (they bonded as babies at the rescue for reasons that only became clear later on). She was already Buffy (because of being what they call a buff color), and he was originally Simmie (for Siamese). Here they are right after adoption, in September of 2021, in all their deceptive adorableness.

A word for the wise: NEVER adopt a Siamese cat if you don't have nerves of steel. You have been warned.

As for Buffy, I found out in time that her particular breed was Teacup Orange Psychopath.

ETA: I have added a current photo of the Abominable Beasts.

Buffy bebe.jpeg Spike Bebe.jpeg IMG_1421.jpeg

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
This gentleman is (that is was) Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford. He is the most likely person, who actually wrote the plays of William Shakespeare. I've such results in this field, which even the most famous Shakespeare scholar called to be very adroit, and wanted to see my entire set of results. I've delivered several lectures in my country, even to the invitation of the official Shakespeare Society, with (humble smile :) ) great success. Step by step, this is the only way in this very sensitive field.
So, I work for Edward's reputation :)

As a theater major, I have strong feelings against the de Vere hypothesis, but I forgive you... ;)

I'd love to read your work, of course.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
As a theater major, I have strong feelings against the de Vere hypothesis, but I forgive you... ;)

I'd love to read your work, of course.
I understand you, my friend. I don't even dare to mention my enthusiasm towards the Flat Earth-theory... :)
Anyway, Mr. Andrew Gurr, who directed the rebuilding of the Globe Theatre in London, has really favourable opinion of my deeds. But it took us a series of emails to get to this point. The whole matter is really complicated, it has many historical relations. Maybe once we can discuss it - now I don't have the resources to get in a debate with someone. Next year in Budapest I probably will have the chance to meet Rev. Paul Edmondson, who is Head of Learning and Research at The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust - this is of top priority, And as I'm an IT programmer, this whole thing is just my hobby. So, you might consider me a lunatic, I accept it with many thanks :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Sounds so enjoyable--and nostalgic. Love it! I remember a place called, "Downtown Records and Tapes" in the heart of Chicago--on the famous "Rush Street" in the 1970s and early 80's--before compact discs. Loved buying vinyl albums--and enjoying the posters of the band that were often included. The smell of the vinyl; having to get up to turn the record over to play the other side--or playing several records that would fall to the turntable as each previous record finished....Good memories.

Yes!

We have a massive collection of (thousands) of vinyls … and agreed, nothing compares!

I also get sucked into a nostalgic wormhole when thinking about using a pencil to roll a cassette tape’s insides back into it. A finger, as a last resort.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Yes!

We have a massive collection of (thousands) of vinyls … and agreed, nothing compares!

I also get sucked into a nostalgic wormhole when thinking about using a pencil to roll a cassette tape’s insides back into it. A finger, as a last resort.
YES! I remember using those strategies to repair cassette tapes too! :)

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Indeed!

They came to me a matched set (they bonded as babies at the rescue for reasons that only became clear later on). She was already Buffy (because of being what they call a buff color), and he was originally Simmie (for Siamese). Here they are right after adoption, in September of 2021, in all their deceptive adorableness.

A word for the wise: NEVER adopt a Siamese cat if you don't have nerves of steel. You have been warned.

As for Buffy, I found out in time that her particular breed was Teacup Orange Psychopath.

ETA: I have added a current photo of the Abominable Beasts.

View attachment 308730 View attachment 308731 View attachment 308733

They’re precious!!

I’m so glad that you adopted them together ❤️ Siamese cats are very vocal, aren’t they? So gorgeous.

“Teacup Orange Psychopath” 😆

We want a dog or cat so badly. Unfortunately my oldest is allergic to dogs (so we cannot adopt a Staffordshire and name him “Brad Pittbull”), my youngest to birds, and myself to cats (😞). So until someone outgrows an allergy, it’s fish and frogs with funny names for now.

On a positive note, I just asked my son if he fed Keanu Reeves today.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Just updated my avatar--a pic of me enjoying a good laugh with my first graders while standing in front of our writer's wall.
You’ve changed your avatar!!!

You look fantastic!! This is such an amazing photo of you - your smile reflects your personality perfectly!

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
They’re precious!!

I’m so glad that you adopted them together ❤️ Siamese cats are very vocal, aren’t they? So gorgeous.

Spike is not talkative at all, for some mysterious reason. I actually thought he was mute, until I had to take him to the vet for a skin allergy, and found out he can meow quite loudly when he has a mind to.

“Teacup Orange Psychopath” 😆

You have NO IDEA...

We want a dog or cat so badly. Unfortunately my oldest is allergic to dogs (so we cannot adopt a Staffordshire and name him “Brad Pittbull”), my youngest to birds, and myself to cats (😞). So until someone outgrows an allergy, it’s fish and frogs with funny names for now.

On a positive note, I just asked my son if he fed Keanu Reeves today.

I have a pretty bad case of ranidaphobia (an irrational fear of frogs and toads), so the very idea of a pet frog makes me shudder... :cry:

Have you tried exposure to hairless cats/dogs?

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
I understand you, my friend. I don't even dare to mention my enthusiasm towards the Flat Earth-theory... :)

Surely you jest... :oops:

Anyway, Mr. Andrew Gurr, who directed the rebuilding of the Globe Theatre in London, has really favourable opinion of my deeds. But it took us a series of emails to get to this point. The whole matter is really complicated, it has many historical relations. Maybe once we can discuss it - now I don't have the resources to get in a debate with someone. Next year in Budapest I probably will have the chance to meet Rev. Paul Edmondson, who is Head of Learning and Research at The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust - this is of top priority, And as I'm an IT programmer, this whole thing is just my hobby. So, you might consider me a lunatic, I accept it with many thanks :)

Though most Shakespeare's contemporaries seemed to believe the actor wrote his own plays, and even mocked his lack of a formal education --"small Latin and less Greek"--there is indeed plenty of scholarship to support the de Vere theory. And of course Mr. Gurr's and Rev. Edmondson's knowledge of the subject vastly exceed my own.

Which is why I spoke of feelings. I just don't like the idea of de Vere writing those plays --much like Flat Earthers base their beliefs in their feelings about science and facts. Science and facts, alas, do not give a rat's tail about feelings...

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Spike is not talkative at all, for some mysterious reason. I actually thought he was mute, until I had to take him to the vet for a skin allergy, and found out he can meow quite loudly when he has a mind to.

You have NO IDEA...

I have a pretty bad case of ranidaphobia (an irrational fear of frogs and toads), so the very idea of a pet frog makes me shudder... :cry:

Have you tried exposure to hairless cats/dogs?

Poor Spike!

Oh, I’m so sorry to mention Keanu and Dart, then! I’m not too fond of them either, and although I like to peer in there, my husband has taken the official job of manning their tank (I make him wash up to his elbows when he deals with them, blegh). But the boys realllly wanted a pet, and when it came down to stinky hamsters with raisin turds versus frogs, I chose frogs because of their inability to be petted. The last thing I need is a hamster loose in the house!

My son is allergic to the saliva, so a hairless dog would still not be ideal. As for hairless cats, …….

No.

Redfish365

Basenotes Dependent
May 5, 2021
Goodness. I remember now using scotch tape to repair broken cassette tape --back in the Pleistocene... :oops:
Well in the paleo-pleistocene when I had my first and 2nd "hand me down" cars they had 8-track players. And we were able to find good 8 tracks (when I say "we" I mean my twin brother and I me.) I recall 8 tracks by Yes, Humble Pie, Wishbone Ash and ELP among others.
We also had a converter that you could play cassettes in an 8 track player with. Ç

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
Poor Spike!

Oh, Spike is quite capable of communicating without meowing, no worries there.

As for hairless cats, …….

No.

But they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

Ripley_gargoyle_f.jpg

This cat was actually the very first (and last, so far) Sphinx cat I have met, and it was VERY DISTURBING. She was the beloved princess in residence of Borderlands Bookstore in San Francisco, a place I love.

At first she wasn't moving, and I thought, being this a SFF bookstore, that she was a plastic model of the monster in Alien or something*. And then she moved, and came straight at me! My friend Jeffrey screamed like a five-year-old girl and ran out of the bookstore.

And then the strange, frightening thing meowed, and I realized it was a cat! I ended up with her cradled in my arms. She was the sweetest, friendliest thing, and thankfully very warm.

*Fittingly enough, her name was Ripley.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Oh, Spike is quite capable of communicating without meowing, no worries there.

But they are SO BEAUTIFUL!

View attachment 308744

This cat was actually the very first (and last, so far) Sphinx cat I have met, and it was VERY DISTURBING. She was the beloved princess in residence of Borderlands Bookstore in San Francisco, a place I love.

At first she wasn't moving, and I thought, being this a SFF bookstore, that she was a plastic model of the monster in Alien or something*. And then she moved, and came straight at me! My friend Jeffrey screamed like a five-year-old girl and ran out of the bookstore.

And then the strange, frightening thing meowed, and I realized it was a cat! I ended up with her cradled in my arms. She was the sweetest, friendliest thing, and thankfully very warm.

*Fittingly enough, her name was Ripley.

I laughed so hard at this 😂

Ripley! That’s a very fitting name.

I appreciate them for being so strange, but it’s the whole “petting skin” thing that freaks me out. It seems as if it will be like petting a wrinkled appendage, or a bald little golem.

I’m sure they’re very sweet. But they look so mean.

There’s already a resident mean face in this house, and I highly doubt that I need the competition. The cat and I would probably spend hours glaring at each other.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...